Should the BSP become League 3?

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
b4life

Should the BSP become League 3?

The majority of BSP teams now have league experience, league crowds and full time teams. Is it now time that the BSP is incorporated into the the Football League and becomes League 3? What benefits and problems would that result in? Four teams down and four up? Television rights? More Money? Is there any advantage to being 'non league'?
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926
lfolfo

Re: Should the BSP become League 3?

never going to happen until the majority (all) teams are fully professional. Which is itself never going to happen.

I don't think having more than 2 up/down is a good idea either (objectively speaking-from a biased perspective we are more likely to be BSP next year than L2 so having more promotions would be good, though we have struggled for a few years in L2 so swings and roundabouts!)
Sam_BFC

It seems highly unlikely given that the Conference have only relatively recently expanded themselves - incorporating much of what was the Northern, Southern and Isthmian Premier Leagues into their second tier Conference North/South. Therefore I cannot see them being up for downsizing.
wonderbee

b4life wrote:The majority of BSP teams now have league experience, league crowds and full time teams. Is it now time that the BSP is incorporated into the the Football League and becomes League 3? What benefits and problems would that result in? Four teams down and four up? Television rights? More Money? Is there any advantage to being 'non league'?
No. Absolutely pointless. It would mean the league promoting and relegating on a regional basis, which is a little bit stupid. There may be more teams that are professional, but until all teams in the division and a sizeable ammount in the divisions below, there's no point. I can't see anyone really willing to pay extra for a four division football league, which would result in smaller shares of the pie for everyone.
BEEGONE

No, it could go on forever, BSN/S is full of former BSP sides there for they should be league 4 north and south....

Add to that we would havew to share tv money with them.

Oh and the standard at the bottom is a joke.
johnp

I agree that it would never work,due to not many companies want to know non- league football as it is not professional.
Barnfields Plumbing & Property
Services
hoofer2

Some may also argue the Conference is also far better run and regulated than the Football League.

Any financial indiscresions and the clubs are kicked out full stop. None of this hiding being ridiculous debt (Man Utd, Liverpool etc.) and "Administration". Only bad decision I can recall is allowing Boston to be promoted and not the Daggers.
wonderbee

hoofer2 wrote:Some may also argue the Conference is also far better run and regulated than the Football League.

Any financial indiscresions and the clubs are kicked out full stop. None of this hiding being ridiculous debt (Man Utd, Liverpool etc.) and "Administration". Only bad decision I can recall is allowing Boston to be promoted and not the Daggers.
With respect, that's not true. The main reason the Conference gives out more punishments is because the FGR chairman is a bigwig at the conference, and generally hands out massive deductions to make sure enough teams finish below perennial strugglers Forest Green.

I refer you back to the 2004-05 season (you may remember it) and Northwich Victoria. Now Northwich went into administration in 2004, so accordingly the Conference gave the Vics a 10 point deduction, and the way they were playing, looked absolutely dead and buried. However, they sorted themselves out second half of the season (Including beating Barnet!) and stayed up. As this pushed Rovers into the relegation places, the conference found a new rule about registration, and expelled Northwich from the league, keeping Forest Green up. And there's countless more examples like that if you do a bit of research.

NOT that I'll be complaining too much if our chairman (Who's on the FA/FL boards) is the one making the decision about how heavy Hereford's point deduction should be...
b4life

Given that Barnet are likely to be a direct beneficiary of any decision against Hereford I would have thought he would have no say due to a conflict of interest? I am on a 'league' committee and that's what happens when a similar situation occurs.
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926
wonderbee

b4life wrote:Given that Barnet are likely to be a direct beneficiary of any decision against Hereford I would have thought he would have no say due to a conflict of interest? I am on a 'league' committee and that's what happens when a similar situation occurs.
Well if it does, it just goes to prove that the league has a fairer system in place than the conference does.