Fair play to Morecambe

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
LeicesterBee

Fair play to Morecambe

Any other club and I would have a simmering level of hatred to them after what happened yesterday but in fact they have earned greater respect in my eyes for several reasons:

* Laid on free coaches for what they knew was one of the biggest games in their history
* Fans who sang for full 90mins and put the E.T. to shame
* No sign of trouble (from what I saw)
* Speaking to a few of them before the match at the ticket office and they were a lovely bunch who genuinely wished us well for the rest of the season

Just think it could be worse, imagine the carnage had yesterdays game been against Grimsby or Luton

Also found the below clip on youtube which sums up their day quite well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0oqSsCCqkI
barnetdw

Re: Fair play to Morecambe

I loved my visit to Morecambe earlier in the season, thought they were a great little club (nice stadium, their own ale even, great pie, peas and gravy too!!) and had a great time in the town as well, stayed over and had a brilliant time.

Think that game was a real downer for the season though, losing that lead was really poor and what could have been a great result and confidence boost went to waste.

So, I was hoping that Barnet won yesterday, obviously, but hoping Morecambe stayed up along with us! Never mind eh?...
02grisf

Agreed. The are a good little club and wish them the best for the rest of the season. We have a good relationship with them anyway which is always nice to see in football. A good friend lives in their area so I may even go and watch them next season- who knows!
jamiefrbees

Slightly surprised by this great rapport we're supposed to have with Morecambe..

I was on the ET on Saturday and the same weekly unpleasantries were exchanged only Morecambe took it one further and shamelessly performed an imitation of 'Twist & Shout'

They seemed a horrible bunch of Northerners to me, no different to any other club.
Barnet, Barnet, Barnet, because...we're staying up, and it's the bondz the bondz the bondz the bondz the bondz the bondz the bondz that will keep us together...

Why does it always fall to Togwell?
02grisf

To be honest, I think most clubs have their 'element', I've seen on Morecambe messageboard they acknowledge this too! There were a few young lads at the pub before the match causing a bit of a disrpution but nothing too much. I think the two clubs traditionally have a good rapport, even if an element of the fans don't reflect this.
queenshrimp

Over recent seasons we've had an influx of younger fans who have started travelling to away games quite regularly. This is great for the club because it keeps a 'cycle' of interest, with new blood coming through and it also means us oldies can take a back seat when it used to be us who were responsible for creating the off-field banter and vocal support.
The flipside, I suppose, is that (out of sight of disapproving parents) they can tend to have a couple more scoops than they are able to handle sensibly.
This IS the same with most clubs and I hope that when it does get a little too silly or aggressive, there are enough of us older heads on hand to calm them down.
I've been in that position a few times and, to be fair to them, they've taken our 'calm it down lads - no need to start getting aggressive, keep the banter friendly' pretty well and have apologised. We do try to guide them in using their energy to support our club, rather than goad the opposition - after all we've no real gripe with anyone (and particularly not Barnet with whom we've always had a great affinity, genuinely).

Keep the faith - you have a few very decent players and I have a sneaky feeling Burton's games in hands won't produce much, so if you can pick up a few points it's still very much do-able.

Good luck anyway and thanks for your usual genial hospitality at the weekend.
ShankBee

Thankyou, I wouldnt worry, most of us are aware that every club has an 'element', we have exactly the same which tends to encourage each set of fans to get a bit 'over excited' at times. It also doesnt help having both sets of fans nin such close proximity.

Anyway, your a lot more optimistic towards our plight than we are, good luck with the rest of the season and hopefully see you next year.
First Half Only

Great support by Morecambe, put our support to shame.

is it me or are our lot in the east terrace a nasty vile bunch of lowlife?
jamiefrbees

Thank you to the Morecambe fan for the kind post. I would like to say the same to you, but I must say no quality individuals from your side really stood out to me, apart from the fellow with the long-throw. He was very useful.

Perhaps this is because you played as a team, something we've struggled to do in past seasons. I must also say that while we never looked like penetrating or scoring had the game gone on another 3 days, your clock running down was as good as ive seen in many years watching football!

All the best.

P.S. Our fans towards the away fans end are about 8 years old so dont yet qualify as low-lifes I dont think. Just immature kids.
Barnet, Barnet, Barnet, because...we're staying up, and it's the bondz the bondz the bondz the bondz the bondz the bondz the bondz that will keep us together...

Why does it always fall to Togwell?
Bee_Forever

Was standing on Barnet hill after the game, and had no trouble from the Morecambe lads on the way up to their coaches. A few even shook my hand and wished us all the best for the rest of the season.

Now their team on the other hand were a bunch of lazy cheating scoundrels who used every trick in the book to get an advantage. Had it not been for our tactical naivety and inability to defend a throw on, not once, but twice, the better team would have won. As it is, we pay the price for not being as "professional" as the team we were playing.

I must say, if that is what it takes to stay in league 2, give me the BSP any day.
bucks bee

To be fair, our players wasted as much time with slow throw-ins, unnecessary back passes, etc. towards the end of the game as the Morecambe lads did.

And this was despite the fact that we were actually LOSING ...!!
becbee

Not sure we can assume the BSP to be an honest upright league when you consider the manager of this season's probable Champions.
Milkfloat

They had a few useful players and knew how to defend. The right back was a bit of a prima donna but he was very effective against Marshall. If only we had a right back as good as him. Did not care much for the style of football though - bit too much hoof! for my liking.
DerekRocholl

It is a relief to see there is no mention of taking shoes off in this thread. Morecambe were great to us at their place in our promotion season, and we welcomed to the league with considerable cordiality in their first season. Long may this convivial rapport between the club's supporters continue providing it doesn't deteriorate into shoe waving again - and it would have been better to have shared the points instead of us getting none !
hoofer2

jamiefrbees wrote:Slightly surprised by this great rapport we're supposed to have with Morecambe..

I was on the ET on Saturday and the same weekly unpleasantries were exchanged only Morecambe took it one further and shamelessly performed an imitation of 'Twist & Shout'

They seemed a horrible bunch of Northerners to me, no different to any other club.
Imitation? Wasn't this the first time it has been sung on the East Terrace all season...

Even after we were 1-0 up we as fans showed no positivity. Why didn't we sing Twist and Shout then?