The Irony - Our biggest ever budget this season?

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC

The Irony - Our biggest ever budget this season?

Postby Moonchild_Bee » 23 Mar 2011, 16:28

Considering the amount thrown at players, replacement players, loanees and back-ups, cancelled contracts (i'm look at you Stimson!) and more to come for Martin Allen to bring in a few others, is it feasable that we have in fact spent more money this season than ever before?

As I briefly highlighted elsewhere:

"We settled on a budget and Stimson spent it. It was clear that the team wasn't good enough, so he was given more to sign McLeod and Kabba. And still he panicked as were still rubbish, so we signed Phil Walsh from the Daggers on loan, Charlie Taylor (for money!) and we still needed attacking back up so we signed Kevin Gallen and Craig Dobson on loan (all from BSP or lower clubs). And with a couple of injuries at the back brought in Grant Basey from Charlton (not on the cheap).

Then he was sacked, and PF came in. And of course he had to bring in his own players. So he brought in a raft of midfielders - Deering and Pulis on loan, and Fraser (from Port Vale - on a 2 year contract). Throw in a new keeper (O'Brien from Portsmouth), a couple of Championship full back loanees (Parsons and Dunleavy), a couple of standard PF comical attackers (JJ Somebody and Ivan Sunday - do they exist :shock: ) and finally - yesterday get a real striker in Midson from Oxford in.

What can Allen do apart from throw money at whatever he can get his hands on now?"

Imagine Allen (or anyone half decent) being given this budget back at the beginning of the season. Even Stimson might have worked some magic.
Moonchild_Bee

Re: The Irony - Our biggest ever budget this season?

Postby Sam_BFC » 23 Mar 2011, 16:36

Interesting points Moonchild and I think your observations should go some way to dispelling this attitude that TK has "spent nothing" "tried to sign players on the cheap" etc etc.

There is perhaps an opposing argument that these funds could have been made available from the start - assuming you are accurate in your suggestion that Stimson spent all of his initial budget.

However on the whole I think the evidence shows overwhelmingly that TK has pretty much invested as much as could have been expected in the playing staff, and although Stimson looked a potentially good shout as boss at the time it is this one decision that has had the most detrimental impact.
Sam_BFC

Postby jerroll » 23 Mar 2011, 16:38

Wolves fans will love you calling them a championship team!!
jerroll

Postby Jon83 » 23 Mar 2011, 16:47

As suggested above, you could argue it was the other way round and that Stimson was not really given a significant budget and after the abysmal start to the season, TK started to throw money at the playing staff however panic had already set in and the 'new' players could not alter things.
Jon83

Postby jamiefrbees » 23 Mar 2011, 16:48

very good post, but far too depressing for me to contemplate right now...
Barnet, Barnet, Barnet, because...we're staying up, and it's the bondz the bondz the bondz the bondz the bondz the bondz the bondz that will keep us together...

Why does it always fall to Togwell?
jamiefrbees

Postby Peter Piper » 23 Mar 2011, 18:36

I'm going with 'no' on this one.
Peter Piper

Postby GRH » 23 Mar 2011, 19:05

Peter Piper wrote:I'm going with 'no' on this one.

I'd second that.

Unless we are talking about since our return to the league, we spent vast sums when we signed Heald, Charlery, Doolan, McGleish...
GRH

Return to General Barnet Chat