London Broncos

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
hoofer2

Re: London Broncos

BarnetSteve wrote:No other rugby club has changed their name because of changing where they play so I see no reason why Broncos should. I think it would be better for them if they retained their identity if they move. tbh Bees is a bit weak when your playing against warriors, rhinos, giants, bulls and dragons. Maybe swarm would sound a bit more threatening.
London Broncos have had more identity changes than David Bowie, so another one will not make much difference:

London Crusaders
Fulham
Harlequins Rugby League
London Broncos
BeesKnees

They only changed name back to Broncos this season and for most of their existance this has been their name. I just feel that moving to a new location and changing name again would alienate current fans. Better if they keep their identity. What about London Borg as a new name to tie in with the Hive.
jerroll

The broncos name was originally used due to a tie up with the brisbane broncos in the Australian NRL
asprinwizard

As a Barnet fan of 22 years and a Broncos fan of 17 years, you can probably imagine my excitement at these developments. It makes moving to the Hive (and even relegation) a far less bitter pill to swallow. I'm also very impressed that there are so many knowledgeable RL types on this board. I also thought I was the only RL and Bees fan!

Anyhow I just wanted to echo what some people have posted here regarding the game and the effect it might have on the pitch. There are many examples of Football and RL teams sharing and no pitch concerns to worry about whatsoever. The one exception being Wigan but actually you get the opposite there as the RL fans complains about the smaller football club messing up the pitch. They have a point too as Wigan RL play their last game in September and the pitch deteriorates typically around Christmas. The key issue is not what sports are played as such but the recovery time for the pitch. If a game is played on a sodden pitch and that pitch is used again shortly afterwards it won't have time to recover properly and may continue to cut up. But the most likely time this would occur (even with British weather the way it is) is from November to February when there would be no RL played at all. Also, the Broncos only have 13 home games a season. One of these quite often taken on the road anyhow, and although they could have the odd extra cup game it really isn't that many extra games if the Hive is already hosting 23 Bees games and however many Arsenal U21s games.

Finally I'd like to make a point about the legacy this could have for the Hive. It would be an excellent place to get more kids playing RL in London. The game has been expanding dramatically around the capital in recent years. The west is covered (and would hopefully still be covered) by the Broncos' development programmes put in place over a decade ago. London Skolars have done a great job in Haringey and it's environs, and various amateur clubs around London and the South East have helped swell participation. So there's plenty of interest and I'm sure Harrow would take to it in a similar way. But the other major consideration is that if the groundshare worked, and then Barnet were able to move back to Barnet, presumably the Broncos could come along as tenants, or they could either purchase or rent the ground at the Hive. Thus keeping the facility in good use and the money coming in.

So surely this move should be welcomed, and if it's true Barnet would chuck in the Broncos games with membership I'll be doing cartwheels to the Hive come next season.

Cheers. :D
dawat

Asprinwizard, from the way they played I'm sure Barnet FC were using some Rugby League players anyway! They weren't footballers that's for sure. :rofl:
letchbee94

sorry people have i missed something but what has this got to do with us??
dawat

letchbee94 wrote:sorry people have i missed something but what has this got to do with us??
Broncos are a potential tenant at the Hive using the new stadium when Barnet aren't using it.
letchbee94

sorry checked first post, that is why i deleted my post lol.

Well as Hive is only temporary for us they could well have the hive eh :)
cbbee

It would ruin the pitch.
In a recent cricket game at the Oval, Paul Collingwood said there were stud marks in the pitch from an Aussie rules game last November!
The only saving grace would be the lack of scrums in Rugby league.
BeesKnees

If all we need to worry about is the odd stud mark in return for a decent income and a better football squad then I'm all for it.
BarnetBronco

asprinwizard wrote:As a Barnet fan of 22 years and a Broncos fan of 17 years, you can probably imagine my excitement at these developments. It makes moving to the Hive (and even relegation) a far less bitter pill to swallow. I'm also very impressed that there are so many knowledgeable RL types on this board. I also thought I was the only RL and Bees fan!

Anyhow I just wanted to echo what some people have posted here regarding the game and the effect it might have on the pitch. There are many examples of Football and RL teams sharing and no pitch concerns to worry about whatsoever. The one exception being Wigan but actually you get the opposite there as the RL fans complains about the smaller football club messing up the pitch. They have a point too as Wigan RL play their last game in September and the pitch deteriorates typically around Christmas. The key issue is not what sports are played as such but the recovery time for the pitch. If a game is played on a sodden pitch and that pitch is used again shortly afterwards it won't have time to recover properly and may continue to cut up. But the most likely time this would occur (even with British weather the way it is) is from November to February when there would be no RL played at all. Also, the Broncos only have 13 home games a season. One of these quite often taken on the road anyhow, and although they could have the odd extra cup game it really isn't that many extra games if the Hive is already hosting 23 Bees games and however many Arsenal U21s games.

Finally I'd like to make a point about the legacy this could have for the Hive. It would be an excellent place to get more kids playing RL in London. The game has been expanding dramatically around the capital in recent years. The west is covered (and would hopefully still be covered) by the Broncos' development programmes put in place over a decade ago. London Skolars have done a great job in Haringey and it's environs, and various amateur clubs around London and the South East have helped swell participation. So there's plenty of interest and I'm sure Harrow would take to it in a similar way. But the other major consideration is that if the groundshare worked, and then Barnet were able to move back to Barnet, presumably the Broncos could come along as tenants, or they could either purchase or rent the ground at the Hive. Thus keeping the facility in good use and the money coming in.

So surely this move should be welcomed, and if it's true Barnet would chuck in the Broncos games with membership I'll be doing cartwheels to the Hive come next season.

Cheers. :D
So true about this! Definately cannot underestimate the truth in that statement. The Hive will be a fantastic place for the sport to flourish. I play 7 aside football on the astroturf pitches at The Hive regularly, and definately am impressed by the Hive and can imagine younger budding Rugby League enthuisiasts to be in awe also. I didn't get that much into Rugby League, as Twickenham was too far to go with the poor transport links!So always thought the sport was more a Northern thing.With the immense infrastructure at The Hive, I can see London Bronco fans becoming Barnet FC fans and vice versa with both sets of fans follwing the other. We shall see if they both have the common sense to make this work.
Geordie Bee

Joss wrote:I love this, and really really hope that the new memberships include Broncos games. It'd be the difference between me getting one and not - that'd be truly great value.

League is nothing like union; it's much more like football. It's faster, more free flowing, more skillful and exciting than union. It's less technical, long-ball and stop-start than union too. Tickets tend to be cheaper, and audiences tend to be more working class.

And most significantly, it shouldn't tear up the pitch. Sheffield Utd, Hull City, Doncaster Rovers, Wrexham, Huddersfield and Rochdale all share with rugby league teams. These are better comparisons than the union ones mentioned above.

It is not just that the season is a summer one. It is because there is not the same rucking and mauling and scrummaging that you get in union, which involves lots of stamping on the spot which can churn up the ground. It is more flee flowing, and it action gets spread around the pitch a bit more too.
Great post. And as a fan of both it would be great for me! :Drink1:
rudebwoyben

cbbee wrote:It would ruin the pitch.
In a recent cricket game at the Oval, Paul Collingwood said there were stud marks in the pitch from an Aussie rules game last November!
Is there much difference between Aussie Rules Football and Rugby League?
b4life

About the same difference between Aussie Rules and Rugby League as there is between Rugby League and Association Football i.e. lots
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926
jerroll

rudebwoyben wrote:
cbbee wrote:It would ruin the pitch.
Is there much difference between Aussie Rules Football and Rugby League?
Aussie rules is like Gaelic football, nothing like rugby league.