London Broncos

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Evanstribe

Re: London Broncos

Joss wrote:I love this, and really really hope that the new memberships include Broncos games. It'd be the difference between me getting one and not - that'd be truly great value.

League is nothing like union; it's much more like football. It's faster, more free flowing, more skillful and exciting than union. It's less technical, long-ball and stop-start than union too. Tickets tend to be cheaper, and audiences tend to be more working class.

And most significantly, it shouldn't tear up the pitch. Sheffield Utd, Hull City, Doncaster Rovers, Wrexham, Huddersfield and Rochdale all share with rugby league teams. These are better comparisons than the union ones mentioned above.

It is not just that the season is a summer one. It is because there is not the same rucking and mauling and scrummaging that you get in union, which involves lots of stamping on the spot which can churn up the ground. It is more flee flowing, and it action gets spread around the pitch a bit more too.
Absolutely agree with all of this. I find rugby league far more entertaining than union, and the summer season should mean that the effect on the pitch will be relatively minimal. If the club can find a way of throwing in a few league matches over the summer than I think a fair few people would be happier to keep their subscriptions going over the off-season.
kingoffootball

I'm glad I'm not the only league fan on this board :)
Three-time Conference champions
John_c

I think it's quite outrageous that the club are attempting to ensure year round use and income from The Hive. What on earth are they thinking?
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

Proud Winner of the Sponsor Marvin Armstrong Shirt Raffle 2023/24

Worlds best Prediction League player
pgbee

You'd hope the club has applied for a licence to carry out weddings to further open the revenue generating avenues......
John_c

pgbee wrote:You'd hope the club has applied for a licence to carry out weddings to further open the revenue generating avenues......
Are you mad???
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

Proud Winner of the Sponsor Marvin Armstrong Shirt Raffle 2023/24

Worlds best Prediction League player
BeeBee

kingoffootball wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only league fan on this board :)
Am the same. Love the Super League but never could really support a team as London Broncos were all the way in Twickenham!.....Used to watch the Australian Rugby League (NRL) a lot due to relatives down under. NRL is like the Premiership there! An absolute religion!Am a big fan of Rugby League's speed, hits and great techincal offloads. Am so glad these London Bumbles may come!!
WelwynWes

They want them out. The sooner the better. Mainly because of their link to the previous owner and the struggle to get them to pay rent. You may not have known this but the grass at wycombe is part real and part plastic and this keeps the wear and tear down to manageable levels. The plastic blades of grass are replaced every few years
Correct Wycombe have a Desso pitch plus undersoil heating. Despite this their pitch had worn considerably because of the rugby played on it.

Yes other clubs have rugby on their pitches also, but you have to look at their budgets.....If we agreed to this idea would the pitch maintenance budget increase to allow for the extra work and fertiliser needed to keep it in good condition????
Former Barnet volunteer asst groundsman
dawat

WelwynWes wrote:
They want them out. The sooner the better. Mainly because of their link to the previous owner and the struggle to get them to pay rent. You may not have known this but the grass at wycombe is part real and part plastic and this keeps the wear and tear down to manageable levels. The plastic blades of grass are replaced every few years
Correct Wycombe have a Desso pitch plus undersoil heating. Despite this their pitch had worn considerably because of the rugby played on it.

Yes other clubs have rugby on their pitches also, but you have to look at their budgets.....If we agreed to this idea would the pitch maintenance budget increase to allow for the extra work and fertiliser needed to keep it in good condition????
If fertiliser was an issue we could always collect loads of bullshit from Brian Coleman on the way to the ground !
:rofl:
Milkfloat

Great idea - more use for the stadium, extra revenue plus a bit of added entertainment during the summer. The plus points considerably outweigh the negatives. We certainly will be needing the money if we are to get back into the league sooner rather than later.
BeesKnees

Just had a look on the broncos forum and most seem quite favourable to the idea. If they do come and the membership scheme allows access to RL games in the summer then it seems a win-win scenario and I think could potentially boost the support for both clubs.
BarnetBronco

Hi guys,

Anyone heard any further news on this possibly happening?

If Edgar Davids can stay at Barnet FC, and if London Broncos can bring in Martin Offiah in some coaching capacity or just near the club, I reckon they will be some great icons for both clubs to rise above their poor positions and really get The Hive rocking with atmosphere!
hoofer2

If Broncos do use the Hive, then a condition surely has to be a name change to London Bees and a change of colours to black and amber. This will establish the Hive as a real sporting up (Barcelona is a sporting club that also has a Basketball team etc.)

This will be akin to the re branding of Barnet Ladies after acceptance to the new Womens Super League..

I know that this could spur the discussion of what will happen to Barnet FC if we are starting to establish a London Bees identity, but it is only a suggestion.
Sam_BFC

Surely it is up to London Broncos how they treat their identity.
BEE428

I quite like the idea of London Bees. Broncos sounds too American.
Prediction League Champion 2012/13 & 2013/14
BeesKnees

No other rugby club has changed their name because of changing where they play so I see no reason why Broncos should. I think it would be better for them if they retained their identity if they move. tbh Bees is a bit weak when your playing against warriors, rhinos, giants, bulls and dragons. Maybe swarm would sound a bit more threatening.