London Broncos

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
BeeBee

Re: London Broncos

Jimbokav1971 wrote:
Mikel Bee wrote:I'm with Jerroll. If it gives us a financial edge then it could be worth it, but we may have to abandon any philosophies which involve playing football on the ground.
To be honest, I think that is going to be harder in the Conference than it was in league 2 anyway. The better teams allowed us to play in League 2, (and we got some good results because of it). Nobody will do that in the Conference.
Exactly, and who is to say we will get up straight away. We need to take good opportunitys of revenues like this and hope we don't lose the chance to get in players with this extra income!
KevinBFC

As long as we don't have to put up 'London Broncos' signs everywhere i'm ok with it.
kingoffootball

Difficult one this. I'd like the Broncos to find a good ground (with them playing real rugby) and the extra revenue would obviously help, but the deterioration of the pitch and the fact the lines always tend to be visible would definitely detract during our matches.

Much better than a union side though, as the pitch would take far less wear and there's less overlap between the seasons.
Three-time Conference champions
Iffy

No, no and thrice no!

It's going to be hard enough to regard the turf as hallowed at the new ground as it is without contaminating it with the strange white markings of an egg-chasing pitch.
Iffy

No, no and thrice no!

It's going to be hard enough to regard the turf as hallowed at the new ground as it is without contaminating it with the strange white markings of an egg-chasing pitch.
BeeBee

Seems to work fine for Swansea City FC & The Ospreys RFC (Rugby Union Side). Swansea have played some beautiful football this season on the floor n' all.
Last edited by BeeBee on 09 May 2013, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
South_Belfast_Bee

It would be handy to know how Wycombe feel about their ground share - the cost-sharing aspect vs impact on pitch. Plus with Wasps a union side their revenue in the south would be higher.
BeesKnees

South_Belfast_Bee wrote:It would be handy to know how Wycombe feel about their ground share - the cost-sharing aspect vs impact on pitch. Plus with Wasps a union side their revenue in the south would be higher.
They want them out. The sooner the better. Mainly because of their link to the previous owner and the struggle to get them to pay rent. You may not have known this but the grass at wycombe is part real and part plastic and this keeps the wear and tear down to manageable levels. The plastic blades of grass are replaced every few years
South_Belfast_Bee

Didn't know that Steve,

I'd ask the same question of any ground share, there will always be pros/cons but a regular rent will always be appreciated, as we have learned from the new membership/st scheme :wink:
Stingtastic

Can't we just lease them Underhill? Rugby doesn't bother with segregation normally so we could just open up the top entrances so there is no need to use the bits around the ground the council own. Barnet council seems to like rugby so hopefully there wouldn't be any planning issues :spite: . Win - win, they get a ground, we get the income without the cut-up pitch.
barnetpete

Think we need to think business/finances over perfect scenario.... The club will have taken a massive financial hit because of relegation and so this may be a necessity to help fund the football side/COE etc.

I'd rather have broncos and Davids, than because of finances have neither!
Please consider donating, to help disadvantaged Children & Young People in Barnet, https://www.youngbarnetfoundation.org.uk/donate,
Joss

I love this, and really really hope that the new memberships include Broncos games. It'd be the difference between me getting one and not - that'd be truly great value.

League is nothing like union; it's much more like football. It's faster, more free flowing, more skillful and exciting than union. It's less technical, long-ball and stop-start than union too. Tickets tend to be cheaper, and audiences tend to be more working class.

And most significantly, it shouldn't tear up the pitch. Sheffield Utd, Hull City, Doncaster Rovers, Wrexham, Huddersfield and Rochdale all share with rugby league teams. These are better comparisons than the union ones mentioned above.

It is not just that the season is a summer one. It is because there is not the same rucking and mauling and scrummaging that you get in union, which involves lots of stamping on the spot which can churn up the ground. It is more flee flowing, and it action gets spread around the pitch a bit more too.
Jimbokav1971

I think some of you are being a little naive if you think we would turn down the idea of Broncos' as tennants.

For those mentioning the pitch, yeah it is going to be not as bad as a Union team, but it will still take it's toll. Having said that, is that a reason for possibly not having Arsenal U21's again if they are interested.

Ideally we would have ourselves, our U21's, the youth team, Arsenal U21's and Bronco's all playing at the Hive and it would be busy most nights of the week and all the time generating lots of lovely income. Dare I say it would be a "Hive" of activity! (ok. Sorry.)

Yeah the pitch will take a battering, but modern pitches are far more able to take punishment than some of the basic surfaces we might have been used in in days gone by.

The pitch markings, (for Rugby), are annoying, I totally agree but what price this sort of income? If I had TK's ear I would be urging him to grab all these additional income streams on the hurry up, (if ever they appear concrete rather than just rumour).
antbfc wrote:
"He owes everyone a naked run... His opinion is invalid"
BeeBee

Joss wrote:I love this, and really really hope that the new memberships include Broncos games. It'd be the difference between me getting one and not - that'd be truly great value.

League is nothing like union; it's much more like football. It's faster, more free flowing, more skillful and exciting than union. It's less technical, long-ball and stop-start than union too. Tickets tend to be cheaper, and audiences tend to be more working class.

And most significantly, it shouldn't tear up the pitch. Sheffield Utd, Hull City, Doncaster Rovers, Wrexham, Huddersfield and Rochdale all share with rugby league teams. These are better comparisons than the union ones mentioned above.

It is not just that the season is a summer one. It is because there is not the same rucking and mauling and scrummaging that you get in union, which involves lots of stamping on the spot which can churn up the ground. It is more flee flowing, and it action gets spread around the pitch a bit more too.
Thanks Joss! Great insight! (Geniuinely no sarcyness intended)
BeesKnees

My initial concern was how the local residents and council will react to this news that the stadium might be in use all year round. I have mixed feelings about it with my worry that this news has come too close to us moving an so will be bad publicity and affect how we feel about our new home. On the positive side I agree with the benefits of extra income and a long term need to have a tenant when we leave.