Graz's Future

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Moonchild_Bee

Graz's Future

Graz is a Bees legend. He had a role within the club that enabled him to promote the club and inspire youngsters - a fantastic job that I presume he was happy with.

He's been thrown in the managerial role completely against his and our expectations. Hired by Martin Allen to placate those who were dubious about Allen's re-appointment (no I won't be saying I told you so...), and now finds himself in charge of our desperate attempt to stay up, and is giving it his all.

However, should he be successful or not, will his decision to say 'yes' to TK be detrimental to his future with the club?

If we stay up, surely he wouldn't be re-appointed Full Time manager - especially after what happened with Ian Hendon? We'd go for more experience? And judging by what else has been said, TK picked Stimson ahead of the Stone / Breen Dream Team due to experience and the problems he had had with IH.

Where would that leave Graz? Would he be happy going back to his old role, or feel snubbed, and feel the need to leave? Or, would a new manager be happy to have two 'ex' managers in the background (as we know PF has a job for life).

If we go down, then surely the fans response would be - we need an experienced head to try and challenge to come back?

Either which way, surely it's a lose / lose situation for Graz. Which is a crying shame. Thoughts?
slopebee

Re: Graz's Future

Clearly a well thought out post..i have mixed feelings about the word experience,you have some managers who possess it and
it seems to get them jobs at this level Micky Adams, Dave Penney,Peter Taylor etc but who is to say they bring any more to the
table than Karl Robinson,Eddie Howe or Giuliano Grazioli for example? I am of the view that you can put an old head on young
shoulders if they are the right shoulders. It is true, however that if we stay up,GG will get a thanks and if we go down GG will get
a thanks the following part of the sentence will be down to the the Chairman's instinct and foresight OH DEAR!!
WelwynWes

Either way this club needs him in some capacity. These days you struggle to find ex players who holds a club so close to his heart (apart from Harry of course). Whether he is manager, ass manager, scout or goes back to FIC he will always be welcome
Former Barnet volunteer asst groundsman
traffic

experienced managers who come to Barnet will be like Martin Allen and just use that appointment until a better offer comes along then off they go.
Why would any experienced manager want to stay as a manager of Barnet fc working with tight budgets and turn down offers from bigger clubs???
Thats why Gratz should be given the role because even if he was successful I doubt he would move on.
He grew up in this borough and his family are happy here and he is well loved by the fans.
Yes he will make mistakes but thats part of the learning curve of becomming a manager.
Ian Hendon loved this club too but was driven out by supporters who wanted a more experienced manager and look where thats got us today? an experienced manager called stimson who was shite and an experienced manager called Allen who used the club for his own needs.
Give Gratz the chance and with Fairclough helping him and Gary Phillips and with all the supporters behind him Im sure he will do well.
djhdjh

Ian Hendon was not driven out by supporters. There was literally not one chant of Hendon out before he got sacked. He was sacked because after a brilliant initial impact wore off he couldn't work out how to restore it and showed no signs of being able to do so.

The thing is that there are no managers at this or Conference level, even the good ones, who you can guarantee will be successful at every club they manage. Given that fact experience is not necessarily so useful because even good experience doesn't prevent you from failing somewhere. I'm not saying that if someone with a very good track record like Steve Burr or Garry Haylock were interested in the job we shouldn't consider them but I don't think it's necessarily a prerequisite - I think I'm right in saying Barry Fry didn't have the greatest record before his fantastic second spell with us?
Monsieur Abeille

I can't see Graz being offered a full time managers role next year. Hopefully he won't see this as a snub and will be happy to go back to either of his former roles, with thanks for stepping in from all of us regardless of the result, or take up whatever role the new manager would have him do.

And any new manager would be daft to get rid of him
jamiefrbees

The idea that he's not likely to move on anywhere as a pro to the debate doesn't really wash with me, Paul Fairclough isn't likely to move on anywhere either but doesn't make him the right long-term choice...
Barnet, Barnet, Barnet, because...we're staying up, and it's the bondz the bondz the bondz the bondz the bondz the bondz the bondz that will keep us together...

Why does it always fall to Togwell?
kingpinfid

With the greatest respect to Fairclough, his time has come and gone.

Irrespective of relegation or staying up, I think the club should stick with Grazioli and possibly bring in an experienced assistant (Ray Mathias is my preference) or if looking to penny-pinch promote Stone to No.2.
slopebee

True, Stone did get Rushden to the play offs as number 2, Probably,as this season he was number 2 to a man who hasn't won an away fixture
since Eve was a girl so hard to judge until he is assistant to a manager who befits the title..lets see how Graziole ole ole ole carries himself
Saturday!!
mduffy_918

With No disrespect to GG, I would give him a years rolling contract as manager but only if we go down, if we do stay up we need someone with a bit of experience at this level who can find a few players that will help push us towards midtable rather than struggle once again. GG should have a role at the club whether coach or assistant manager to learn the trade. He has shown some potential to be a good manager but too soon for league 2 I think.