Matty Stevens

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
PBBee

Re: Matty Stevens

I love how the Guardian article compares him to Remy!!

I think we would accept £1m (although would that be up front or including add ons). I'm sure we would go for a sell on fee as well - which would make watching his career even more interesting.

Seems these fees aren't that uncommon what with the £1.75m they played for the Exeter guy last season.
John_c

It hardly compares him to Remy.

If they offer £1million (and it's a big if), their hands will be bitten off,.
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

Proud Winner of the Sponsor Marvin Armstrong Shirt Raffle 2023/24

Worlds best Prediction League player
RichardM

£1 million for Stevens could go a long way to securing a place in the first division for Barnet. It is a no brainer to sell him for that sum. Keep hold of him and unless he pushes his way into the first team and performs well, which is unlikely with the strikers we already have, his potential value would soon fall.
Mem Beespod

X-Bumble wrote:
hoofer2 wrote:
X-Bumble wrote:If Swansea will pay £1m, then others will pay more (including Swansea). We should hold out fo more, and I'm sure TK will.
I do not agree. This is an astonishing figure and unprecedented in recent times for clubs at our level. Just think how this could be reinvested in the first team.
If you get greedy you can end up with nothing. What I will say about Swansea is they do not appear to collect players in the way that Man City does.

We have living proof that our academy is delivering. If the production line produces players of the quality of Vilhete, Yiadom, Johnson
etc. we could really become a "Crewe of the South". This is a win win situation for Barnet.
Why sell? - the only benefit to sell now is a short-term cash injection. If we hold out and nobody makes a bid, we have him at BFC, and assuming he is happy to be there, he is worth far more than 1 million to us.
I think you're being very unrealistic. Even if he plays well in Div 2, it's only Div 2 and no club will pay much more than a £1m for a teenager. Matt won't be ready for our first team for another year, by then he could have got injured, had a crisis of confidence etc then he'll be worth nothing like £1m.
At this moment, that £1m could make a significant contribution to improving our squad with 3/4 players which could make us go from a mid table to potential play offs.

For Matt Stevens this would be a good deal too. Swansea are quite frugal so wouldn't waste money on a player they don't think could step up. For Matt, he'll get to play with better players, coached by better coaches and have the confidence Swansea rated him highly enough to pay all that money for him.

It would be a good deal all round.
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938
X-Bumble

Either way, I trust that TK will do the right thing for both Matty and our club.
GRH

Making the assumption that there is truth to this story, then the only question for me is whether the player would want to move to Swansea. If he was in favour of the move, then accepting an offer of that size is a no-brainer, as long as a significant chunk of it was paid up front.

I remember having the discussion on this board in the past about a strategy of becoming a "Crewe of the South" and how we should be positioning ourselves to achieve that. To have a set-up that has seen Vilhete, Johnson and Gambin come through and potentially a high profile sale, in addition to the brilliant facilities, will only add to that burgeoning reputation that should see us become a destination of choice for parents and their kids.
Itsmeerc

If this is true, sell him now for £1 million, plus add a sell on clause as we did with Adomah, so if he does go on to bigger things we can cash in further. No-brainer in my opinion.
HertsBee

You only have to look at the KMB situation. A large sum was offered and turned down, the players attitude changed dramatically and now nobody seems to want him at any cost. We lost out on a good pay-day and the player at the moment has lost out on a career.
Norfolkbee

GRH wrote:Making the assumption that there is truth to this story, then the only question for me is whether the player would want to move to Swansea. If he was in favour of the move, then accepting an offer of that size is a no-brainer, as long as a significant chunk of it was paid up front.

I remember having the discussion on this board in the past about a strategy of becoming a "Crewe of the South" and how we should be positioning ourselves to achieve that. To have a set-up that has seen Vilhete, Johnson and Gambin come through and potentially a high profile sale, in addition to the brilliant facilities, will only add to that burgeoning reputation that should see us become a destination of choice for parents and their kids.
Please let's banish the term "Crewe of the South" as it has too many painful memories. At the time it came into use, Barnet were more likely to become the "Crewe of the Conference South" under Mr Robson.
John_c

bee007 wrote:You only have to look at the KMB situation. A large sum was offered and turned down, the players attitude changed dramatically and now nobody seems to want him at any cost. We lost out on a good pay-day and the player at the moment has lost out on a career.

There was a large sum offered? Really?
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

emanbfc

John_c wrote:
bee007 wrote:You only have to look at the KMB situation. A large sum was offered and turned down, the players attitude changed dramatically and now nobody seems to want him at any cost. We lost out on a good pay-day and the player at the moment has lost out on a career.

By my memory, it was £450,000 to be paid in installments. Blackpool I think.
rudebwoyben

That's the first time I've heard that figure or anything approaching it.
Besides, I really wouldn't trust Karl Oyston to fulfil his part of any deal.
PBBee

I don't think it was that much was it? I thought it was about £150k
John_c

emanbfc wrote:
John_c wrote:

By my memory, it was £450,000 to be paid in installments. Blackpool I think.
From the club that doesn't have footballs to train with? Not sure about that.

emanbfc

PBBee wrote:I don't think it was that much was it? I thought it was about £150k
Actually 150k sounds more familiar. My bad.