MA right about Clifford

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
jerroll

Re: MA right about Clifford

Far too sensible post Hoofer2.
rudebwoyben

Except that Eastleigh are not a huge club in comparison to B'wood. If they weren't being bankrolled they'd be a step 3 or 4 club.
dawat

I think you make some valid points about the step up in class and opposition clubs Hoofer, but (yes had to be one) it does not explain why the manager appears unable to motivate sufficiently or get the best out of the players at his disposal. I believe he has at least 4 players who could still play in League 2 and at least twice that number capable of playing comfortably in the National League. The rest of his squad may or may not be suitable, but I doubt that they are all rubbish bearing in mind they won promotion. There may be some parallels to our own start to the season and a drop off in confidence throughout the club following losses and poor performances.
It may just require a win, by whatever means including pure luck, or a change in management to boost confidence and restart their season. Only time will tell.
jerroll

rudebwoyben wrote:Except that Eastleigh are not a huge club in comparison to B'wood. If they weren't being bankrolled they'd be a step 3 or 4 club.
Could the same not apply to Forest Green too?
rudebwoyben

To be fair to FGR they did get up to where they are now without being bankrolled and their best ever finishing position until last season was pre-Vince.
jerroll

True although they also won the AGM cup on more than 1 occasion so you could argue they were lucky to still be in the conf prem by the time Vince and his vegimoney turned up!
ealingbee84

giantbee wrote:Clifford is 10x the player Tomlinson and champion are. Hence why neither can get in our side, in which Clifford did a matter of months ago.
Tomlinson played 90 minutes for a team that won 4-0 away and 2 points from the play offs while Clifford was an unused sub in the last 2 games in a team that is only out of relegation due to goal difference and lost on Saturday. Something tells me he is not 10x the player. To be honest I would not be surprised to see Tomlinson go to Grimsby in January but Clifford will not be so lucky.
rudebwoyben

jerroll wrote:True although they also won the AGM cup on more than 1 occasion so you could argue they were lucky to still be in the conf prem by the time Vince and his vegimoney turned up!
I like the term Vegemony myself. I actually met Dale Vince at the Womad festival and was actually quite impressed by him. He was appearing as part of a panel about renewable energy and greening the economy, chaired by John Snow. I got in a question about Keanu Marsh-Brown and FGR's new ground!
I think the only AGM Cup decision that was controversial that favoured them was the occasion when Altrincham were deducted 19 points IIRC.
ealingbee84

rudebwoyben wrote:
jerroll wrote:True although they also won the AGM cup on more than 1 occasion so you could argue they were lucky to still be in the conf prem by the time Vince and his vegimoney turned up!
I like the term Vegemony myself. I actually met Dale Vince at the Womad festival and was actually quite impressed by him. He was appearing as part of a panel about renewable energy and greening the economy, chaired by John Snow. I got in a question about Keanu Marsh-Brown and FGR's new ground!
I think the only AGM Cup decision that was controversial that favoured them was the occasion when Altrincham were deducted 19 points IIRC.
Does he still have that no red meat allowed for a player rule?
StephenM

dawat wrote:I think you make some valid points about the step up in class and opposition clubs Hoofer, but (yes had to be one) it does not explain why the manager appears unable to motivate sufficiently or get the best out of the players at his disposal. I believe he has at least 4 players who could still play in League 2 and at least twice that number capable of playing comfortably in the National League. The rest of his squad may or may not be suitable, but I doubt that they are all rubbish bearing in mind they won promotion. There may be some parallels to our own start to the season and a drop off in confidence throughout the club following losses and poor performances.
It may just require a win, by whatever means including pure luck, or a change in management to boost confidence and restart their season. Only time will tell.
You question Allinson's motivational abilities but by your own suggestion he has about 8 players good enough for the National League. It is possible that his motivational ability was key to a squad not really good enough to achieve promotion last season. A lot of the guys who got them up are still there playing in a league that really they aren't good enough to play in. It was always going to be incredibly difficult for Borehamwood this season, just being at that level is an overachievement.
rudebwoyben

ealingbee84 wrote:
rudebwoyben wrote:
Ha! I didn't ask him that but I think it still stands.
John Snow did ask Vince how much a National League player is paid though.
ealingbee84

rudebwoyben wrote:
ealingbee84 wrote:
rudebwoyben wrote:
Ha! I didn't ask him that but I think it still stands.
John Snow did ask Vince how much a National League player is paid though.
Would he give the right answer, I bet many of their players are on League 2 pay.
rudebwoyben

Ha! He said about £1k per week, which is very high for the Conference IMO.
John_c

I got told last week that Mackail-Smith at Luton is on circa £5k a week!
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

Proud Winner of the Sponsor Marvin Armstrong Shirt Raffle 2023/24

Worlds best Prediction League player
jerroll

John_c wrote:I got told last week that Mackail-Smith at Luton is on circa £5k a week!
Still a £12k per week drop from his Brighton salary last season!!