Gateshead (Hive) The Match Thread Hunting Glory

The best threads archived for eternal enjoyment.
Jimbokav1971

Re: Gateshead (Hive) The Match Thread Hunting Glory

What a day. Just got home back in rainy Northamptonshire.

I would like to say it was never in doubt but..... jeez it was a long day/week.

The game itself seemed pretty standard.

We were significantly better than them and they looked... disjointed was the word I would use I suppose. Their big lump up front got no change out of our big lumps at the back and my only real concern was a penalty on their left winger or a 2nd booking for Weston, (thought he controlled himself well after the correct early booking).

I thought Yids did well against their best player and I'm always impressed by EJ on the opposite side but bloody hell Mauro was special. Scored 2, but in a huge amount of work and should have had a 3rd when his glancing header was, (I think), palmed onto the bar by the keeper after a corner, (our corners were generally poor though).

Akinde is such a work-horse. He just grafts and grafts. I thought Gash was poor today, but I don't really mind when someone is poor when they put in a shift like that. He had lots of defensive duties that he never shied away from and the way that he and Akinde defened deep at times allowing Mauro/Weston to press up top was really effective. I thought Gash would blow up but bloody hell he just kept grafting.

Togwell is so important. He's just intelligent and always in the right position. Really reads the game well. Also talks really well.

Clifford is very much a MA style wide player, (tucked in allowing EJ to overlap), but he's decent too and another one who just grafted and grafted. The who team really did have the MA stamp on it.

Stack has come in for a lot of criticism over the season but that save he made, (one-handed down to his right when he was going the other way).... that was special. It was a good cross and a better header and it required a top top save.

I thought the ref was poor and gave some ridiculous decisions.

What struck me most today is that we were a real tight cohesive unit and within that there were little partnerships all over the pitch.

Brizzle won 7-0. We just won the title.
antbfc wrote:
"He owes everyone a naked run... His opinion is invalid"
BeesKnees

Agree, I like th look of this team and hope the partnerships we have all over the pitch are kept if possible
kingpinfid

Woooooooooooooo! Champions for a third time!

Woooooooooooooo!
ealingbee84

BarnetSteve wrote:Agree, I like th look of this team and hope the partnerships we have all over the pitch are kept if possible
Sadly I see some players going but this is going to happen. We have quite a few good young players and as Barnet are champs teams in League 1 and 2 will look at them. Also we will have to see what happens to Clifford next season. I think Barnet should look at good players in that we can get for free like Togwell, Gash and Akinde.
LeftSideRun

"I thought Gash was poor today, but I don't really mind when someone is poor when they put in a shift like that."

Love your posts for the most part, Jimbo, but that's absolute nonsense. OK, he could've scored if he was more composed but that second goal was all about him. Poor. Poor?! Come on. Think about that performance. He won so many headers...
Stingtastic

LeftSideRun wrote:"I thought Gash was poor today, but I don't really mind when someone is poor when they put in a shift like that."

Love your posts for the most part, Jimbo, but that's absolute nonsense. OK, he could've scored if he was more composed but that second goal was all about him. Poor. Poor?! Come on. Think about that performance. He won so many headers...
I thought he did well. It was also Gash's header that was saved when the rebound went out to Vilhete to score his second
jonbonbaby

I called for Mauro to be dropped , how wrong was I!! I'm glad I was wrong . Great performance from all the players
Jimbokav1971

LeftSideRun wrote:"I thought Gash was poor today, but I don't really mind when someone is poor when they put in a shift like that."

Don't want to be too negative after yesterday and I did qualify "poor" with a tremendous workrate.

Wasn't even particularly talking about the fluffed early chance when he and Weston got in eachother's way.

Don't even want to post anything more negative than that. Am quite possibly being very picky.
antbfc wrote:
"He owes everyone a naked run... His opinion is invalid"
let_it_bee

I've been relatively calm all week, but it was agony yesterday. I thought we'd be fine after the second goal, but then all of a sudden Gateshead came alive and decided to have a go, and I thought they looked quite dangerous for a while. If Stack hadn't kept that header out (I was a long way away from it in the south stand, but I really thought it was in) then it could have been a different story. But what can you say - a fantastic achievement - and all the more remarkable in light of MA's past history with the club.
kingoffootball

I was in the North Stand and that save by Stack at 2-0 looked excellent. I'm looking forward to watching it back from the TV perspective.
Three-time Conference champions
becbee

Perversely I was more nervous at 2-0 than I'd been at 0-0 & 1-0. We started so well and Gateshead were so second best but after our second they raised their game, St Luce looked a threat and the clock moved very slowly.
finchleyman

What an afternoon! They all played well and were that much better that Gateshead. It was never really in doubt until they started playing defensively at the end but even then it wasn't really in doubt.

I wonder what will; happen in the summer months. TK has said that this promotion is worth £1.2 million . I hope he uses some of this money to keep the players and manager together although we will need some strnegthening here and there.

Excellent Bees.
South_Belfast_Bee

Took this photo yesterday, not a bad job.
Attachments
Hive panorama.jpg
BPAHORNET

Really happy that the Bees have achieved promotion back to the Football League. I have been a Bee since the '60s, born in Edgware and growing up in a house on St.Brides Ave just a Jack McClelland goal-kick away from where The Hive is now located! When I was at Camrose Primary School, I would be able to look out and watch the Underground trains go by in the distance, if I was there now I would be able to see The Hive. Amazing.

Quick question and apologies for my ignorance on recent developments, but when the club moved The Hive for 13-14, there were concerns expressed on this forum that this location was only approved for non-league football? I must have missed something over the intervening period, but I sincerely hope this got resolved with Harrow Council? Football League soccer on Camrose Avenue? Just seems so incredible to me. I will bet that the locals are not very impressed. Nevertheless, now dusting off my old Barnet scarf and definitely planning a trip for August to watch my first Bees home game since the '80s.

COME ON YOU BEES!!!

Ken
Toronto, Canada
pgbee

Great day! The club must have had a nice little earner! We have to keep most of those players if we can, but we went down with 3 of the back four, are they better now? Can we get Clifford? If Southend go up surely he will be available? Need a striker as back upas I don't think CMac will join us in L2 (or Cook). Would we turn down an offer for Akinde? I doubt it.