A gamble that didn't work

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Mem Beespod

Re: A gamble that didn't work

kingpinfid wrote:Just to play devil's advocate here, if we did take on rough diamonds from non league clubs (who presumably would be late teens / early twenties), would that put the development of our youth team player back / limit their opportunities on the fringes of the first team?
I feel you need a smattering of different types ie exp pros, youth, uncut diamonds. Youth players will be at different stages of their development to a non league player. If you get in THE one or two best players you see in non league for cheap and see if they take to pro football. IMO far more cost effective than bringing in a Batt on league wages to be a squad player. Albert came straight into the team from Harrow, Bailey was eased in.
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938
Tuesds

becbee wrote:
ealingbee84 wrote:
becbee wrote:Logic to me would say that regardless of age, injury record etc, prior to any signing, a player should be given thorough and extensive fitness test/ medical. If there are any areas of doubt, then sign the player on a pay as you play or short term contract so they can prove their fitness. After all, it's hardly as though other clubs would be queuing up to sign potential sick-notes - and if they are, more fool them.

I am sure that in the outside world if an employer had the slightest reservation about a new employee, he/ she would be taken on on a probationary period. Why didn't we do similar with Lisbie and Batt?
I wish that could be done in football. Sadly clubs would be too worried trying on signing a player on such a contract as the player would be told by their agent to tell the club to piss off.
Yes but if all clubs did it then the agent would soon find his player out of work.
I can't imagine clubs were exactly queuing up to sign Lisbie, let alone league clubs near to his home.
Anyone worth having would be wanted to some degree by at least one other club. And it only takes two clubs to want a player to make it a seller's market (i.e. the player/agent). The notion that football clubs would come together to make sure they only give short contracts with no security for the player to anyone who has recently had an injury (Lisbie had a good fitness record prior to last season) is about as likely as them taking action voluntarily to bring down wage bills, i.e. the thing that is actually threatening the very existence of several clubs, but has kept rising due to clubs' desperation to get ahead of/keep up with the competition.

The season before last, Kevin Lisbie was one of the very best strikers in League One, with his goals and classy all-round play helping to take unfashionable Leyton Orient to the brink of promotion to the Championship. While it has proven to be a completely unsuccessful signing, that wasn't inevitable in the summer, and I would wager that had we refused to offer anything other than a 'pay as you play'-type arrangement, he could have got himself a contract at another full time club.
SudburyBee

And batt to follow
beew

SudburyBee wrote:And batt to follow
Source?
beew

So now he's fully fit he leaves!! I wish him all the best but Im glad its finally over. This must mean McLean will extend his contract?
RichardM

beew wrote:
SudburyBee wrote:And batt to follow
Source?
Surely just wishful thinking.
jerroll

leaving in search of 1st team football according to club site, be very interesting to see where he resurfaces likewise Nicky Bailey.
dawat

jerroll wrote:leaving in search of 1st team football according to club site, be very interesting to see where he resurfaces likewise Nicky Bailey.
It's obviously our own fault for not allowing him to play in a wheelchair like he wanted! WTF? :bash:
buzzzzinbee

kingpinfid wrote:Just to play devil's advocate here, if we did take on rough diamonds from non league clubs (who presumably would be late teens / early twenties), would that put the development of our youth team player back / limit their opportunities on the fringes of the first team?
MA's current strategy already does. Non-league players would be cheaper that's for sure.
foxy

Mr Smart wrote:The people planning on doing it would need to be briefed and trained on what MA is looking for ie good touch, winger with pace etc. That's why a form would need be completed detailing the skill set of the player observed. It would need to be formal but it would be good for those fans that want to do something in the football and good for their CVs.
Tall, strong and able to launch the ball.... got it already Mad Dog!! :Drink1:
MajorBrownEye

Rough diamonds from non-league.... Who found them? Was it the man who received criticism for sharing his Barnet duties with his England C duties?

But we're missing the point here.

TK: We need to market our state of the art medical facilities. Any ideas Mart?

MA: How about we get some half crippled has beens and restore them to full health?

TK: Great idea. I'll get Toshiba on the other line....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.
amberdream

Lisbie was on the pitch for a total of 88 minutes during his time at the Bees. Has anyone else played less than a whole game during their career with us ?
jerroll

Plenty of players, Dion Dublin v Stafford rgrs 1988/9, Paul Smith 2 mins v Bury 1995/6, Alex Varney 2 mins 2005/6, Claudio De Vito v Mansfield 1997/8 just off the top of my head!!
BeesKnees

Last season in league two there must've been a few. Collins John, Craig Beattie, Holwijn and that Dutch keeper (Kuipers?).
Last edited by BeesKnees on 12 Jan 2016, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.