Tommy Barnett

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
RichardM

Tommy Barnett

A friend of mine was in a pub in Sawbridgworth recently and the landlord said he had played for Barnet. He spoke of Alf and Dennis D'arcy and Barry Fry. His name was Tommy Barnett, I remember that name as somebody who did play for the club but cannot remember when or for how long or what position he played. I was hoping one or two of you older supporters may be able to give me som more information about Tommy. Apparently he is in his late 70s so the D'arcy connection is very likely but I am not so sure about Barry Fry.
yeoman of the guard

Re: Tommy Barnett

Tom Barnett played in the sixties and seventies for the old Southern League Romford amongst others. At the time Romford had strong affiliations with Tottenham and were considered a big non league club the Southern League then being the equivelant of todays National League without automatic promotion to the old fourth division.
yeoman of the guard

re Tom Barnett......research shows the former Palace and Romford player as being landlord of The Gate pub in Sawbridgeworth featuring some time ago in The Guardian newspaper as brewing his own beer for sale in said pub
RichardM

yeoman of the guard wrote:re Tom Barnett......research shows the former Palace and Romford player as being landlord of The Gate pub in Sawbridgeworth featuring some time ago in The Guardian newspaper as brewing his own beer for sale in said pub
I had googled him as well and got this information. What I wanted to know was if any other supporter could remember him playing for Barnet as he apparently claimed. I am sure I remember the name and hoped somebody could confirm he had been a Bee at any time.
Norfolkbee

Wikipedia reveals a sizable gap in his career statistics in the early-1970s, so perhaps he was at Barnet then. I also have it in the back of my mind that he had a shortish spell with Cheshunt, but perhaps I have the wrong person.
Last edited by Norfolkbee on 07 Apr 2016, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reckless

I'll check my records from 1950s as Alf was at Barnet throughout the decade. If Barnett played for Romford in the 1960s he would have known Fry in 1968-70 period.
OB1
Location: Formerly Block C Underhill - Now block E East stand The Hive

I can definitely remember him playing for Barnet in the late 1950's. He was a forward.
Prediction League Champion 2019/2020
ricardobee

I can certainly remember him playing against the Bees for Romford in Southern League days, but as for playing for Barnet, not sure. Baz did get through numerous players on joining Barnet as manager so he might have slipped in then.
OB1
Location: Formerly Block C Underhill - Now block E East stand The Hive

ricardobee wrote:I can certainly remember him playing against the Bees for Romford in Southern League days, but as for playing for Barnet, not sure. Baz did get through numerous players on joining Barnet as manager so he might have slipped in then.
This was way before Barry Fry. It must have been around 1957 - 1958. This tallies with him playing in the same team as Alf and Dennis D'Arcy. I note that on his Wikipedia page that he was with Crystal Palace from 1958 - 1961, I can only assume he was still playing as an amateur at the start of his Palace days which would have enabled him to play for us as well.
Prediction League Champion 2019/2020
Reckless

Tommy and Barry played in the same Romford team in 1968 -9 that's how Tommy knows him.
RichardM

Reckless wrote:Tommy and Barry played in the same Romford team in 1968 -9 that's how Tommy knows him.
Thanks for all your replies. I think I may join my pal for a pint or two at the Sawbridgeworth pub some time. I am sure that Tommy would have some good tales to tell.
Reckless

Tommy played for us for 2 seasons 1958-60. That included our FA Amateur cup defeat at Wembley although he wasn't selected and played alongside Alf and Denis D'arcy. The Old Boy is right (yeah me too, I felt dizzy as well ) Tommy was contracted to Crystal Palace but as an amateur during that period allowing him to play for us in the Athenian League.
Norfolkbee

Shame he wasn't around for a Motty commentary.
fordybarnet

I can remember watching Tommy play for Barnet back in the 50's, he was a very effective tall rangy winger, so would have played with the likes of the Ridley's and D'Arcy's. Also remember watching him play for Romford against Barnet. Romford were one of the top Non- League sides then. I think C.Palace came later on, in those days it was a lot easier to move to a Pro side.
I've always been aware of Tommy because he used to work with my Dad at Standard Telephones [ STC] New Southgate, I think that was towards the end of his football career.
I'd heard that he was running the pub in Sawbridgeworth so my brother and I called in there on the way back from a Braintree away game, [ I live in Hoddesdon] and Tommy was very amenable and spoke about his past and with the Bees. He also showed us around the pub which also has a micro brewery at the back and he was telling us about the beers he supplies around Herts and Essex, perhaps he could supply the Hive ! His son and family help him run it, so if you're ever over that way, call in, Tommy will be pleased to see you and reminisce.