Tony Kleanthous Meeting with Supporters Notes

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
WelwynBee

Re: Tony Kleanthous Meeting with Supporters Notes

And how much of that £11 million debt was owed to a Mr Kleanthous?

Yes, I know..................yawn.
ninestein

As TK mentioned previously, he could quite easily have ploghed a sizeable chunk of the £11m into the squad budget and had two big years of quality players, depth in the side, all in the hope of climbing the league ladder quickly. But it's not sustainable. After the money dries us the budget gets squeezed, results suffer and the feel good factor is gone. I would rather see the club evolve and grow gradually and live season upon season within its means. Get the infrastructure right which will benefit the club 10 years from now and beyond. And if we are successful on the pitch in the short term through hard graft then our support base will increase naturally with it. I am confident the chairman is doing the right thing here. He's been involved in the game long enough to understand how we have to operate. We should trust him in that respect. He may not get every decision right, or come across the right way in some supporters eyes, but we are not a Blackpool, orient or a Leeds. Be proud of what we have. Our stadium and facilities are the envy of many clubs at our level and i suspect a fair few in league 1 too. Right now we are in a good place. Bring on the new season.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
RichardM

WelwynBee wrote:And how much of that £11 million debt was owed to a Mr Kleanthous?

Yes, I know..................yawn.
None.
DerekRocholl

ninestein wrote:As TK mentioned previously, he could quite easily have ploghed a sizeable chunk of the £11m into the squad budget and had two big years of quality players, depth in the side, all in the hope of climbing the league ladder quickly. But it's not sustainable. After the money dries us the budget gets squeezed, results suffer and the feel good factor is gone. I would rather see the club evolve and grow gradually and live season upon season within its means. Get the infrastructure right which will benefit the club 10 years from now and beyond. And if we are successful on the pitch in the short term through hard graft then our support base will increase naturally with it. I am confident the chairman is doing the right thing here. He's been involved in the game long enough to understand how we have to operate. We should trust him in that respect. He may not get every decision right, or come across the right way in some supporters eyes, but we are not a Blackpool, orient or a Leeds. Be proud of what we have. Our stadium and facilities are the envy of many clubs at our level and i suspect a fair few in league 1 too. Right now we are in a good place. Bring on the new season.
I go to watch football not to look at buildings. I wasn't expecting a splurge on players either I just thought that the list of reasons for us as supporters to feel upbeat was a bit thin. What did he actually say that represented any form of commitment to investing in a more successful attractive team to watch or a better match day experience for his regular customers ?

PS I quite like people paying taxes it goes towards schools hospitals roads policing and all sorts of stuff that create a society that is worth living in and an environment for positive businesses to grow.
becbee

Plenty of clubs have "bought the dream" and gone to the wall or suffered a couple of relegations as a result. I for one am glad TK has more sense.
Doss

ninestein wrote:As TK mentioned previously, he could quite easily have ploghed a sizeable chunk of the £11m into the squad budget and had two big years of quality players, depth in the side, all in the hope of climbing the league ladder quickly. But it's not sustainable. After the money dries us the budget gets squeezed, results suffer and the feel good factor is gone. I would rather see the club evolve and grow gradually and live season upon season within its means. Get the infrastructure right which will benefit the club 10 years from now and beyond. And if we are successful on the pitch in the short term through hard graft then our support base will increase naturally with it. I am confident the chairman is doing the right thing here. He's been involved in the game long enough to understand how we have to operate. We should trust him in that respect. He may not get every decision right, or come across the right way in some supporters eyes, but we are not a Blackpool, orient or a Leeds. Be proud of what we have. Our stadium and facilities are the envy of many clubs at our level and i suspect a fair few in league 1 too. Right now we are in a good place. Bring on the new season.
This Ninestein person is very wise. Finally we have someone with faith in TK.

Cue the backlash
DerekRocholl

becbee wrote:Plenty of clubs have "bought the dream" and gone to the wall or suffered a couple of relegations as a result. I for one am glad TK has more sense.
Who is talking about buying the dream a half decent league 2 centre forward to cover for Akinde would be good, failing that a decent cup of tea and a burger that didn't taste like carpet at half time will do. I will pass on the bottled Heineken thanks.
ShankBee

Thanks for spending the time to write what I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RichardM

Hiveoccupier wrote:PS I quite like people paying taxes it goes towards schools hospitals roads policing and all sorts of stuff that create a society that is worth living in and an environment for positive businesses to grow.
I am also happy to pay my taxes but not any more than I need to. I would imagine TK thinks that way as well and takes sound advise from his tax advisers to ensure he only pays what is unavoidable.
RichardM

Very well said sir. I could not have put it better.
John_c

Great post.

It's nice to be able to take some pride in the club despite its faults.
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

Proud Winner of the Sponsor Marvin Armstrong Shirt Raffle 2023/24

Worlds best Prediction League player
OB1
Location: Formerly Block C Underhill - Now block E East stand The Hive

This must win the award for the most sensible post of the year.
Prediction League Champion 2019/2020
Modernist

OB1 wrote:
This must win the award for the most sensible post of the year.
Gets my vote..
yeoman of the guard

Many thanks BeesKnees for your reassurrances and in practical terms I can certainly see where you are coming from. I was making the general point of there being an obvious disregard of the fans/members who occupy these areas when plans like this pop up. I was also making the point especially, in suggesting that many members chose their seats in the West Stand for the eternity of their being able to attend and support their team and insomuch as we remain at The Hive in a recently constructed and re-modelled stadium. I cannot believe that it went unnoticed by those in the know that future FL regs would require press and media facilities with suitable hospitality or did they know all along and said nothing when people were purchasing their memberships knowing that these seats were nothing more than temporary.
BeesKnees

I don't believe they knew all along but I do think TK screwed up on the East stand and has been trying to deal with the problems caused by it ever since.
The original submitted plans for the East stand included a balcony under the roof area with seating. I suspect this is where the hospitality were meant to go. At the time of coming to build it they discovered the balcony was to close to the pitch and didn't meet the green stadia guide for sight lines. Everything afterwards is really a cascade from this error including padded seats with no roof, oversized west stand and now having to move hospitality across.