Cambridge (Hive) The Shaqademical Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
becbee

Re: Cambridge (Hive) The Shaqademical Match Thread

If we win on Tuesday and every other result went our way, we'd go 2nd. If we lose and every other result goes against us, we'd go 16th.
Obviously both scenarios with the other teams aren't going to happen - but it does show just how meaningless the league table is at this early stage in the season.
BeesKnees

Having seen what happened to Tarpey it looks like knee ligaments to me.

Injured in first challenge, tried to play on and then it went completely next time he put any pressure on it.

Really feel for him.
RichardM

LoudmouthBFC wrote:
mcleod23 wrote:Beereasonable - Rossi did change it and brought Fonguck on. We were far too open second half which is why he brought the sitter on, something Fonguck did similarly vs Luton.

H Taylor is still crap but I've my point on that one.

Clough was outstanding and didn't give No.9 a sniff - for someone we were supposedly in for, I'm glad we didn't get him.

JCR has calmed down and stopped charging around now, picks up pockets and really influences everything for us now.

Shaq is a changed man, feel like he could score every time he gets the ball and made Forde pull off a couple of saves.

Tutonda is an unbelievable athlete and a real threat from LWB. RB shat himself all game.

Super Mauro looks busy, energetic, covers ground and scored his two chances. Goals from midfield is what we wanted.

Ross looks calm and have full faith there. Having the ball down the other end simply from his kicking certainly helps when under pressure. Kicked corners very well.

Exeter will be very different and play football rather than Camb.

He's not crap but he does get caught out at times, but he's still young and learning.
Correct.
RichardM

becbee wrote:IMO it's completely uncalled for to describe any young player who always gives of his best "crap".
Agreed
RichardM

Edd1 wrote:I've only been to one game so far this season the rest I've been following on highlights.

From that limited view..... what has impressed me is if you compare to how things were under Mark Robson.

Both clearly have the team set up to play passing possession football and want to entertain. The trouble with Robson was they seemed to lack the killer instinct. It was all very pretty but possession seemed to be for the sake of possession. RE seems to have got the team a bit more focused with that killer instinct to make the possession count and the passes aimed at getting towards the goal.

It may seem like an obvious thing to point out but I think it is that difference in focus that is the difference.

It is still early days. 6 games is not a lot and I remember once being told not to look at a league table before universities start back. But..... 4 points from the next two games should see us start to establish ourselves as a top 7 team. 6 points from those games and I might start to get a little bit exciteable.....
We have much better players in the team now than when Robson was the manager. That being said, Davids nearly saved us from relegation with essentially the same team.
RichardM

South_Belfast_Bee wrote:
Edd1 wrote:It is still early days. 6 games is not a lot and I remember once being told not to look at a league table before universities start back. But..... 4 points from the next two games should see us start to establish ourselves as a top 7 team. 6 points from those games and I might start to get a little bit exciteable.....
As a kid I recall the papers not even bothering to print the tables until a month in.
How old are you then. I'm 71 and don't remember that.
Bee Reasonable

mcleod23 wrote:Beereasonable - Rossi did change it and brought Fonguck on. We were far too open second half which is why he brought the sitter on, something Fonguck did similarly vs Luton.

He changed it 15 minutes after we'd scored the second! - and took off the person whose through ball set up that goal. Would Wesley have done that? Maybe - he picked out a couple of fantastic through balls in a pre-season match (Swansea?) - but maybe not. I didn't think we looked that open at any time in the game - they only had 2 shots on target - and I'm not sure Fonguck could be described as a sitter: he appeared on the by-line on the left of the box a couple of times after he did come on (by which time it was 2-1).

I don't give a toss what anyone thinks of Harry - I was criticising the way it was expressed, not the opinion.

Hearing "Well played, Taylor" yelled twice in the first half when he misplaced passes and "F...ing hell, Taylor" shouted loudly when he lost the ball in a 50-50 is the second, without a sound of approval minutes either side of that when he played a good one-two and put in a fine cross from the by-line (hooked over by Ak-Ak) and dispossessed a player, ran most of the length of the pitch and found Shaq in the area, leaves a bad taste in the mouth, don't you think?

Or do you think differently? Do you think the shouts (whoever made them) might have made Taylor play better yesterday, or more confident in future? Do you think it was fair or just for a home 'supporter' to shout this at a young player who clearly tries? Can you think of any other benefit from them?
amberforever

RichardM wrote:
South_Belfast_Bee wrote:
Edd1 wrote:It is still early days. 6 games is not a lot and I remember once being told not to look at a league table before universities start back. But..... 4 points from the next two games should see us start to establish ourselves as a top 7 team. 6 points from those games and I might start to get a little bit exciteable.....
As a kid I recall the papers not even bothering to print the tables until a month in.
How old are you then. I'm 71 and don't remember that.
Im 62 and I remember it quite clearly! I remember asking my Dad why the tables were not printed early doors, and him putting me right for asking a silly question! Mind you, this was in the days of only 2 points for a win which gave smaller differential.
mcleod23

Bee Reasonable wrote:

He changed it 15 minutes after we'd scored the second! - and took off the person whose through ball set up that goal. Would Wesley have done that? Maybe - he picked out a couple of fantastic through balls in a pre-season match (Swansea?) - but maybe not. I didn't think we looked that open at any time in the game - they only had 2 shots on target - and I'm not sure Fonguck could be described as a sitter: he appeared on the by-line on the left of the box a couple of times after he did come on (by which time it was 2-1).

I don't give a toss what anyone thinks of Harry - I was criticising the way it was expressed, not the opinion.

Hearing "Well played, Taylor" yelled twice in the first half when he misplaced passes and "F...ing hell, Taylor" shouted loudly when he lost the ball in a 50-50 is the second, without a sound of approval minutes either side of that when he played a good one-two and put in a fine cross from the by-line (hooked over by Ak-Ak) and dispossessed a player, ran most of the length of the pitch and found Shaq in the area, leaves a bad taste in the mouth, don't you think?

Or do you think differently? Do you think the shouts (whoever made them) might have made Taylor play better yesterday, or more confident in future? Do you think it was fair or just for a home 'supporter' to shout this at a young player who clearly tries? Can you think of any other benefit from them?
Fonguck is a sitter yes. He's not creative.

Not sure we need an in depth analysis of Taylor's performance and his one cross. As I said, I've made my point about him. Move on.
Bee Reasonable

I didn't give an in-depth analysis of Taylor's performance, although to say "one cross" is plain wrong.

Whatever Fonguck is, he did not sit yesterday: check the highlights if you can't remember him in advanced positions.

Not choosing to comment on my criticism of the attitude of the 'supporter''? I don't know you and I don't know where you stand or sit, but it does make me wonder.....
pletch99

mcleod23 wrote:H Taylor is still crap but I've my point on that one.
Ridiculously unfair comment. The only weakness I can see in his game is a lack of pace, which means that when an opposition player runs at him, he generally has to make a tackle because he can't keep pace and when he is unable to make the tackle, it looks bad. Since Harry is unlikely to get much quicker, he will have to adapt his game to cope - Michael Nelson is an ideal person to be teaching him and I think his game is developing. For a relatively inexperienced player he generally reads the game well, is a good tackler and is competitive in the air. He is also improving his passing and his attacking play.

I'm not really sure what his natural position is - I've seen him play far more games at right back than any other position and he played games there for the youth team as well as centre midfield, right midfield and centre back. Such versatile players are incredibly valuable as Mauro has shown over the last few years.
Jimbokav1971

mcleod23 Where do you get the idea that Wes is limited to this or to that type of role?

Mauro was an average winger until we kept playing him somewhere else and realised that he can do just about anything except play in goal! Why must we pidgeon-hole players and limit them to this role or that role?

I'm personally of the opinion that Wes might be able to offer significantly more than just "sitting". The fact that he is being asked to play quite conservatively and is doing so is not the same at all as labelling him as that.

What is happening is that Rossi trusts his temperament and decision making and hwhile he is knocking on the door at the moment, he is still behind those midfielders we have starting at the moment. Because of his technique and decision making, (not to mention his fresh legs and fresh mind), it's a no-brainer to bring him on to close a game out.

Is he more conservative a player than Jack for example> Yeah, he probably is, and that's why you see that change made, but it's nothing more than a role he is being asked to play.

As for Harry being crap, I really just don't get a comment like that. He's obviously struggling a little with the aerobic demands of the wing-back role, (he is more suited to playing differently), but is doing a job for the team and exactly like Wes, is playing a role that he is asked to play rather than play what might be his more natural game.

I understand that you are one of these glass half empty people, (at least when it comes to the club), but I personally think your negativity is sorely miss-placed.

Shaq was rubbish a few weeks ago.
How many people ridiculed a young poster's insightful opinion about the merits of a certain David Tutonda.
Big John is still here.
We actually went out and brought another striker, (albeit that he is already crocked).
Any chance of a little positivity, (just occasionally), especially towards our younger players please? :hi:
antbfc wrote:
"He owes everyone a naked run... His opinion is invalid"
mcleod23

Bee Reasonable wrote:I didn't give an in-depth analysis of Taylor's performance, although to say "one cross" is plain wrong.

Whatever Fonguck is, he did not sit yesterday: check the highlights if you can't remember him in advanced positions.

Not choosing to comment on my criticism of the attitude of the 'supporter''? I don't know you and I don't know where you stand or sit, but it does make me wonder.....
Difference of opinion, bloody hell, still going?! I'll have a look at the highlights as you've suggested, thanks :kiss:
mcleod23

Jimbokav1971 wrote:mcleod23 Where do you get the idea that Wes is limited to this or to that type of role?

Mauro was an average winger until we kept playing him somewhere else and realised that he can do just about anything except play in goal! Why must we pidgeon-hole players and limit them to this role or that role?

I'm personally of the opinion that Wes might be able to offer significantly more than just "sitting". The fact that he is being asked to play quite conservatively and is doing so is not the same at all as labelling him as that.

What is happening is that Rossi trusts his temperament and decision making and hwhile he is knocking on the door at the moment, he is still behind those midfielders we have starting at the moment. Because of his technique and decision making, (not to mention his fresh legs and fresh mind), it's a no-brainer to bring him on to close a game out.

Is he more conservative a player than Jack for example> Yeah, he probably is, and that's why you see that change made, but it's nothing more than a role he is being asked to play.

As for Harry being crap, I really just don't get a comment like that. He's obviously struggling a little with the aerobic demands of the wing-back role, (he is more suited to playing differently), but is doing a job for the team and exactly like Wes, is playing a role that he is asked to play rather than play what might be his more natural game.

I understand that you are one of these glass half empty people, (at least when it comes to the club), but I personally think your negativity is sorely miss-placed.

Shaq was rubbish a few weeks ago.
How many people ridiculed a young poster's insightful opinion about the merits of a certain David Tutonda.
Big John is still here.
We actually went out and brought another striker, (albeit that he is already crocked).
Any chance of a little positivity, (just occasionally), especially towards our younger players please? :hi:
Re Fonguck - came on vs Luton in holding role and did the same at Brighton. Had one game in advanced role at Crewe last season and it just didn't work. Rossi knows that hence his change in role slightly.

Negativity - seen it all before at Barnet before tbh that's all! May want to check my summary of yesterday's game and comments on Tutonda. Feel we've gone overboard with talents of youngsters before, Sykes was the next big thing, Stevens the next goalmachine, Shomotun etc etc. I feel you have to guard against these youngsters before jumping up and down about them. Rossi has shown that this season by hardly involving them (Kyei, Shomotun, EMC, Cojocoral)
Mem Beespod

In regards to comparisons with Robson, I've said it before but having had some insight within his camp, Robson gave a list to PF&TK and they pretty much only delivered on the young players he asked for. He would have given his right arm for the experience of a JCR or Nelson. Very noticeable how different the team played when the experience of Oster and Davids came into the side.
Robson's other issue was naivety. Believing that you could play premier league tactics with two FBs pushing on leaving Fortune 1v1 with a young attacker was kamikaze. I could also make the point about having two 19 year olds in CM in Lee and Abdalla but jack Taylor and Fonguck have done well together.

What Rossi has over Robson in a big way is that he's clearly taken on board Martin Allen's pragmatism whilst having his own style. He's really brought in & valued the senior pros like JCR and Nelson who will clearly be influencing the changing room and guiding the youngsters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938