Strongest line up?

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
South_Belfast_Bee

Strongest line up?

Given this improved form, and the fact that it has coincided with a number of key players out through injury, I'm curious as to what people think our strongest XI is when/if everyone was fit?

Akinde would return to the starting line up, but does Tutonda deserve to be dropped for EJ? Can West be accomodated? Stephens in goal surely?

Decisions decisions...
Milkfloat

Re: Strongest line up?

A nice problem to have! Much as I love Akinde, I am wondering if he will necessarily always be the best option up front any more? Our style of play has changed and we may no longer be playing to his strengths....
South_Belfast_Bee

Blasphemy, surely! His goalscoring rate my take a hit with others pulling their weight. Perhaps he'll be deployed in a slightly deeper role, holding the ball up a la Drogba?
BeeArmy

-----------------Stephens-----------------
-------Clough---Santos--Tutonda-------
Brindley--Taylor----Vilhete---Johnson
-------------------Ryce--------------------
------------Akinde-----Coulthirst--------
becbee

Seeing as EJ is out for the majority of the season (if not all of it) then surely it's a bit pointless discussing whether he should replace Tutonda?

Whether Stephens displaces Ross I'd have thought depends on how long Stephens is out. The longer he's out injured, the more Ross will make the place his own.

Judging on how things have gone so far, the expectation is that there won't be difficult decisions to make because as one player recovers full fitness, another will take his place in the Kabba Room. Although I hope I'm proved wrong here!
MCB

Also, we have no idea if Tarpey will be part of the strongest line up. We'd certainly expect so with his goalscoring record and money paid...

Similarly I have no idea if Blackman or Brindley are good enough to challenge our starting XI - i'm sure they think they are!

Weston is the most difficult one for me.
dawat

What I am about to suggest may be blasphemy to some of you, but just give it some thought. Has there been a bigger shift in team selection than may be fully appreciated. If anyone had told me that our team without Weston, Akinde , Johnson and Stephens would be doing so well I'd probably have laughed at them. So are these automatic first choice players in danger of becoming squad players waiting for their chance to break back into the team?
For me the Weston situation is probably the most intriguing one. With Vilhete almost a shoe-in in midfield these days, I wonder whether Weston will have to become the club's new utility player who fills in where required if he wants to get regular first team football? Just a thought guys.
djhdjh

dawat wrote:What I am about to suggest may be blasphemy to some of you, but just give it some thought. Has there been a bigger shift in team selection than may be fully appreciated. If anyone had told me that our team without Weston, Akinde , Johnson and Stephens would be doing so well I'd probably have laughed at them. So are these automatic first choice players in danger of becoming squad players waiting for their chance to break back into the team?
For me the Weston situation is probably the most intriguing one. With Vilhete almost a shoe-in in midfield these days, I wonder whether Weston will have to become the club's new utility player who fills in where required if he wants to get regular first team football? Just a thought guys.
Weston can do that, though. Got the all round game and football intelligence to play a number of positions. Could definitely play either wing back without letting anyone down to give the young lads a rest when they need it and maybe even at centre back in a back 3? (though we're not as short of players there) So take your point but that's not a bad thing at all. There will also be games, especially on the road, where Weston's experience and nous is still needed in central midfield.

Still think Akinde and Stephens are sure fire starters once they're fit. For Johnson, let's hope he comes back the same player, he was never the fastest anyway so that's promising.
mcleod23

Akinde is the first name on the team sheet when he's back, short memories of the great man.

Agree with Djhdjh, Weston away from home when we're up against it is where he shines. Energy and experience from him every week.
djhdjh

mcleod23 wrote:Akinde is the first name on the team sheet when he's back, short memories of the great man.

Agree with Djhdjh, Weston away from home when we're up against it is where he shines. Energy and experience from him every week.
This. Nelson 2nd, Jack Taylor 3rd.
Mem Beespod

Strongest line up?

Whilst we're playing a 2 and with Tarpey out injured and unlikely to make himself undroppable, Akinde's a shoo-in to walk straight back in. JLAA hasn't done enough to warrant a guaranteed spot.
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938
ninestein

JLAA doesn't contribute enough goals to warrant starting when John is fit.
However, he has shown that he can hold the ball up and cause problems for the opposition. Mauro's second goal against Cambridge is a good example.
Coulthirst and Akinde is a partnership we'd all love to see flourish. Hopefully they will strike up a good understanding when the time comes.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
MCB

JLAA was excellent on Saturday - just saying. Had an extra bit of drive about him and caused lots of problems. Within our current system i've no issues with him being upfront.
mcleod23

JLAA is not going to get 15 league goals but yes his involvement and pest factor is high. Always liked him and we missed his involvement when he went out on loan to Yeovil. Unlucky with his header on Saturday, couldn't do anymore with it (good save from Forde).