Good times at Underhill

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
letchbee94

Good times at Underhill

Forget all the negativity about the club statement today, It has been nice reading peoples memories of Underhill on the BTID FB page been some nice positive reading, think this site could do with some of it aswell.

Will always remember Norwich in league cup, 2-1 down after first leg and then we found ourselves 1-0 on night and 3-1 overall just after HT, we was out and then Sean Devine had other ideas...
MCB

Re: Good times at Underhill

Search #FarewellUnderhill on twitter for contributions from Lee Harrison, Mark Hughes, Ben Strevens and lots of others
amberforever

letchbee94 wrote:Forget all the negativity about the club statement today, It has been nice reading peoples memories of Underhill on the BTID FB page been some nice positive reading, think this site could do with some of it aswell.

Will always remember Norwich in league cup, 2-1 down after first leg and then we found ourselves 1-0 on night and 3-1 overall just after HT, we was out and then Sean Devine had other ideas...
Ahh. what a night that was!! I was standing on the North terrace with a QPR mate I had taken along as a neutral. I knew my mate's excitement was growing with each goal that brought the win nearer, but when Sean grabbed the decisive goal, he was jumping around with me like a loony! Sean, for me, was the most exciting and gifted forward for us.

I cant imagine taking him along nowadays without feeling embarrassed. He definitely wouldnt want to come back.
BeesKnees

It's been very heartening seeing all the posts on twitter. I only have to think of the walk to the stadium when the floodlights were on and I get goosebumps.

Absolutely loved the place and very sad to think it will soon be no more.
john dockers shorts

Sitting on the side of the Westbank by the old clubhouse waiting for my Mars bar and coke in the white plastic cup.

Then after the ground had emptied kicking a white cup all the way up the East terrace while my uncle David Stokes climbed the ladder above westcombe drive turnstiles to bring down the Gola league flag
BGr

A crying shame that the Underhill film was never made available publically.
Norfolkbee

Watching Southern League Bees muller Newport County of the Football League 6-1 in the FA Cup. How times change, but great memories.
barnetpete

hgbee wrote:A crying shame that the Underhill film was never made available publically.
or even, with the licencing issues, a few hooky/unlicenced/dodgy copies making their way onto the market!
Please consider donating, to help disadvantaged Children & Young People in Barnet, https://www.youngbarnetfoundation.org.uk/donate,
MCB

barnetpete wrote:
hgbee wrote:A crying shame that the Underhill film was never made available publically.
or even, with the licencing issues, a few hooky/unlicenced/dodgy copies making their way onto the market!
I've had friends with more erm, specific skillsets, search the dark corners of the web for the film, and been unable to find, which is a rarity. Shame someone couldn't host it for a week... Would be the perfect time to be able to view it.
shankbee01

If anyone has any contact with the directors, maybe speak to them and ask them if they'd entertain the idea of a version without the offending FL footage? I'm a video editor and would happily work on this for free with them. I'm sure we could get images for certain games and add certain techniques to keep those sections engaging. I've worked with a lot worst and produced very mediocre results .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OB1
Location: Formerly Block C Underhill - Now block E East stand The Hive

john dockers shorts wrote:Sitting on the side of the Westbank by the old clubhouse waiting for my Mars bar and coke in the white plastic cup.

Then after the ground had emptied kicking a white cup all the way up the East terrace while my uncle David Stokes climbed the ladder above westcombe drive turnstiles to bring down the Gola league flag
Here's me on flag duty many years ago, and standing near the same spot this week.
Attachments
Me and the flag.JPG
P1081626a.jpg
Prediction League Champion 2019/2020
letchbee94

That Underhill is a must see for all Barnet fans, would love to see some of the footage that did not make the film.
john dockers shorts

Great photos, I'm sure you made quicker work getting up the ladder than my uncle!!!
ricardobee

So many memories of Underhill, not sure where to start. Probably my first visits as a 6-7 year old, the only cover in those days was the old wooden stand and the bit of cover in the middle of the east terrace where my great uncle and aunt stood. Can't remember too much about the football but knew we were one of the top sides in the Athenian League. Underhill was a fortress, not many defeats all through the 60's and early 70's. So many top players, Alf and Dennis D'Arcy, Bobby Brown, Les Eason, Tony Brimacombe, Paddy Powell, Johnny Barr, Barry King, Roger Figg, the list is endless. A new stand appeared just in time for the F.A. Cup game against Preston, 10,861 attended. Remember turning semi-pro in the mid-60's and starting with a 10-1 win over Hinckley this done under the stewardship of Dexter Adams. In these days we were one of the top non-league teams in the country and it was rare coming away without seeing plenty of goals, we had a front five who all scored a minimum of 20 goals. During this time bits of cover were added around the ground to make it a bit more weather friendly. It was during this time I saw one of the greatest goals scored at Underhill, Brian Figg (Roger's brother) hit a 40-yard screamer against Wealdstone in a 9-0 victory.
In the 78/79 season, a good friend, Geoff Richards and I were asked to do the tannoy by the then chairman, Tom Hill, a job for me which lasted over 30 seasons, doing over 1,000 games. In this time I saw many, many changes the arrival of Baz then Stan, a clubhouse that mysteriously caught fire, a complete renovation under the main stand. The football on the pitch was sublime, no need to name the players, those who watched it know. The 1990/1991 season will always be in the memories of Bees supporters, we thought we had blown it and then along came Fisher. Our first two games in the Football League, 4-7 followed by 5-5.
There will some Bees fans who probably didn't see this era under Stan, but in my eyes this was the best football seen at Underhill.
When Baz had his testimonial, I had the pleasure and honour of meeting George Best, sitting in the dressing room with a beautiful blonde next to him.
With the demise of Stan and the loss of nearly all the players saw us nearly lose our place in the league. New owners, we thought came along but were shoved aside by David Buchler, the new clubhouse upstairs was turned into a restaurant and offices. Then came the present chairman, the rest is history.
You can blame 'Sweet Child of Mine' on me, I spoke to Ian Hendon when he was captain in the early 2000's about what he wanted the team to run out to, and he was quite happy with this Guns & Roses track.
I got to meet so many players and their wives and families over the years, I must mention Lee Harrison and his mum and dad, it made Underhill a joyous place to be.
I will not soil these memories by any criticisms of what's happened in the past few years only to say that Barnet F.C. will not be Barnet F.C. until it's back in its true home of Barnet, Herts.
Norfolk & Chance

Beautiful blonde............Nicky Evans?

A good read Ricardo, thanks.