What's the Point of Westley?

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Bee52

What's the Point of Westley?

Assuming that GW will be stuck in his usual ways and the inevitable that the team lose their next two fixtures, would there be any merit in swapping his role with Rossi's? At that point and heading out of the EFL with certainty, why not give Rossi a carte blanche opportunity to work on a team for next season that would be prepared to play attractive football and maybe giving supporters a fighting chance to perceive Barnet Football Club as a reasonable attraction. Who knows, maybe a brand of football might even add another 10 or so on the gate.

Would save on redundancy, costs on finding and paying yet another new manager and would also help to get a more confident Rossi (fans allowing) ready for next year. Sorry to the Bees youngsters for their part in the deal though!
StephenM

Re: What's the Point of Westley?

Rossi needs to want the job again before any thought of that option is a reality.
jerroll

no thanks - that would be the end for me.
Bee52

I'm sorry to read that Jerroll and your earlier posts. Not because I'm protective of my suggestion, just being devil's advocate, but more because there is a depth to your support for the club and to your contribution to the forum generally. As flippant and as non-constructive as I am with most of my posts I do hold respect for you and many other long suffering supporters.

I just hope that the powers that be do something that responds on a non-marketing/selling front that can resurrect some of the belief and love for Barnet FC that we all know exists. I wish I knew the answer as it's becoming sadder every week.
CrawleyBee

Rossi would not want to come back nor to I blame him.
Formerly Watfordbee
jerroll

Bee52 wrote:I'm sorry to read that Jerroll and your earlier posts. Not because I'm protective of my suggestion, just being devil's advocate, but more because there is a depth to your support for the club and to your contribution to the forum generally. As flippant and as non-constructive as I am with most of my posts I do hold respect for you and many other long suffering supporters.

I just hope that the powers that be do something that responds on a non-marketing/selling front that can resurrect some of the belief and love for Barnet FC that we all know exists. I wish I knew the answer as it's becoming sadder every week.
I should have bailed out post Northampton 2013, i can't stand the journey to the Dive and several friends no longer go to games any more meaning there is less to enjoy and the rubbish on and of the pitch don't help make it any better.
barnetjohn

I think this season proved that Rossi is not (yet) able to manage at full-time level. He is very young in manager terms, and may in future go on to have a good career in management, but the experience for the first three months of the season makes it clear that he isn't there yet. If we go out of the league, we need a proven manager at conference level, not a rookie returning to the job he stepped down from the year earlier.

I have got nothing against Rossi personally, and he has done a great a job with the academy. In the long-term that is a really key role for the development of the club. If he's doing well there, then I don't really see what we would gain from moving him.
Bee52

Jerroll, I totally understand your comments, I can still remember the depressing drive back from Northampton myself. Things did get better and more enjoyable the following couple of seasons and we had gone down fighting, albeit not so much on that particular day.

This season won't last forever. It just feels like it! Maybe it's a bad time to work out the ratio of good to bad seasons over the last 10 or 20 years. Personally, I feel that this is the worst one that I can remember. I'm absolutely hating the bullshit positives that the club and management have been and still are trying to sell us. A bit of honesty might go a long way.
jerroll

Bee52 wrote:Jerroll, I totally understand your comments, I can still remember the depressing drive back from Northampton myself. Things did get better and more enjoyable the following couple of seasons and we had gone down fighting, albeit not so much on that particular day.

This season won't last forever. It just feels like it! Maybe it's a bad time to work out the ratio of good to bad seasons over the last 10 or 20 years. Personally, I feel that this is the worst one that I can remember. I'm absolutely hating the bullshit positives that the club and management have been and still are trying to sell us. A bit of honesty might go a long way.
last season was just as bad after Martin left. its the journey to our 'temporary ground' i can't stand anymore. we've had 2 good seasons plus 1 decent one this century !
barnetjohn

Totally agree about how depressing this season has been. The irony is that the Hive should put the club on a better footing in terms of revenue - from off-pitch revenue. Having the tenth highest playing budget in league two is something we couldn't have done in the recent past. A great pity that despite this advantage we have ended up rock bottom the table.

But it does mean that we are - financially at least- on a better footing than we have been at almost any point in the past two or three decades. Sure- we need to transform that financial resource into on pitch achievement, but the footing that we now have is, better than what we've had for a long time.

There are major things we need to sort- improving matchday experience, the club communicating better and healing the rift with fans, and sorting out the playing side. But at least we have a good resource base to try to do that.

Jerroll is much valued as a Bees fan by fellow supporters- both as one of the most informed and wise commenters on this board and away from the board as one of people whose views about the club are always well thought out and worth listening to. Please stay with us John!
HertsBee

Has TK finished His Q&A session as there are still many questions left un-answered. Like it was clearly stated that we needed some experience brought in to help get out of this mess, and we end up with a GK(that we didn't particularly need) with no FL appearances, a Defender with only 11 appearances and a Midfielder with 2 appearances. Where is the experience there and why, if they were so important that 2 didn't play at Mansfield, and the other was only a late sub. Please TK explain the reasoning behind that.
becbee

bee007 wrote:Has TK finished His Q&A session as there are still many questions left un-answered. Like it was clearly stated that we needed some experience brought in to help get out of this mess, and we end up with a GK(that we didn't particularly need) with no FL appearances, a Defender with only 11 appearances and a Midfielder with 2 appearances. Where is the experience there and why, if they were so important that 2 didn't play at Mansfield, and the other was only a late sub. Please TK explain the reasoning behind that.
TK is the Chairman, not the manager. The manager tells the Chairman who he wants to sign, the Chairman will only approve or deny based on the finance.
It is even less the Chairman's place to dictate team selection and in-match substitutions. Surely you know that!
ninestein

Still early days for GW at our club. I know we don't have a lot of time in terms of staying up, but taking MA out of the equation and comparing with the managers we have employed since Fairclough last took us up, Westley is the one person i would rather have around to try and re build us if we go down. His style suits the National League. We might see a few lads depart with a heavy heart, but we would be one of the bigger clubs in that league, so recruiting the right players may become easier, rather than trying to compete with the likes of Luton, Coventry, Mansfield etc. Having said that, if he does pull off the great escape, this one will feel like the biggest one of the lot.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
NorthFinchleyBee

Agree with ninestein on this. His record so far is drawn two, lost one. Substantially better than either of the previous two incumbents. I know this is a pretty fevered season, and hence some of the threads/comments are equally so (and that's not a criticism, I'm as hacked off as everyone else)but we need to give the man a chance, and the teams he puts together. To be honest, an ascendant Mansfield, who look good value for an automatic spot was never going to be a likely win in my book. The tricky things is that many of the 'possible wins' are in the latter part of the season, and this will need almost super human reserves of patience from Bees fans who already just about had enough. In other news, sad to see to JCR go.
jerroll

barnetjohn wrote:Totally agree about how depressing this season has been. The irony is that the Hive should put the club on a better footing in terms of revenue - from off-pitch revenue. Having the tenth highest playing budget in league two is something we couldn't have done in the recent past. A great pity that despite this advantage we have ended up rock bottom the table.

But it does mean that we are - financially at least- on a better footing than we have been at almost any point in the past two or three decades. Sure- we need to transform that financial resource into on pitch achievement, but the footing that we now have is, better than what we've had for a long time.

There are major things we need to sort- improving matchday experience, the club communicating better and healing the rift with fans, and sorting out the playing side. But at least we have a good resource base to try to do that.

Jerroll is much valued as a Bees fan by fellow supporters- both as one of the most informed and wise commenters on this board and away from the board as one of people whose views about the club are always well thought out and worth listening to. Please stay with us John!
i'll still be around John but not as much - 5 years at THL has grated on me, I can't face the journey much more!would rather go to Carlisle or Barrrow than that place!!