Queensbury Labour - Epitomising BFC as 'political football'

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
DerekRocholl

Re: Queensbury Labour - Epitomising BFC as 'political footba

Does anyone think a candidate for Queensbury ward would get elected to the council if they supported further development at the Hive, or even just tried to convince local residents that the development that has already happened is a positive thing?

Does anyone think that TK would get an easier ride with a Tory council than he gets with the Labour council in Harrow ?

If you answer yes to either of these questions keep taking the tablets.
John_c

STAVROS wrote:Rugby Clubs tend to have very good relationships with local authorities and always respect planning procedures.
Who knows Ealing Trailfinders may find they can work well with Harrow.
Mr K, if he wishes, does not need to complete any Planning applications and build anything. Ealing Trailfinders, I suspect
are more than capable of carrying out English Premiership requirements, if given the opportunity.
Please Note Saracens were once the equivalent of a non-league club, look at them now.
Their Copthall planning application was well thought out and designed to have minimum impact on the existing
facilities, why would locals object to them. In essence nothing has really changed at Copthall.
So if the Bees continue to bomb down through the levels "any time soon" may be very soon.
I have supported Barnet since 1966, still go occasionally, however I now watch Saracens probably the best club in Europe.
Why, because the club puts their supporters and sport right at the top of their priorities. Also they are relatively near to
High Barnet and straight forward to get to.
Its not all about expanding portfolio's of wealth and selling bits of chicken.
Sorry to give you this news, I am a totally disillusioned Barnet FC fan quite shocked to see the meltdown in the last 16months.
I think its makes our last meltdown after beating Blackpool 7 nil, seem quite minor.
You're not giving us news. It's your opinion. With holes all over it.

What levels have we "bombed down"? We're in L2, next season we might be in the National League. As far as I can see We haven't "bombed down" anything.

And if you think Saracens isn't about money - you're deluded.
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

Proud Winner of the Sponsor Marvin Armstrong Shirt Raffle 2023/24

Worlds best Prediction League player
shankbee01

Hiveoccupier wrote:Does anyone think a candidate for Queensbury ward would get elected to the council if they supported further development at the Hive, or even just tried to convince local residents that the development that has already happened is a positive thing?

Does anyone think that TK would get an easier ride with a Tory council than he gets with the Labour council in Harrow ?

Interesting point, taking the football club away, I would imagine quite a few residents are happy it’s gone from disrepair to functioning sports centre. I might be wrong but unless you directly back onto the site it’s surely good for the area?

Worth stating I know nothing about this sort of thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rudebwoyben

John_c wrote:
STAVROS wrote:Rugby Clubs tend to have very good relationships with local authorities and always respect planning procedures.
Who knows Ealing Trailfinders may find they can work well with Harrow.
Mr K, if he wishes, does not need to complete any Planning applications and build anything. Ealing Trailfinders, I suspect
are more than capable of carrying out English Premiership requirements, if given the opportunity.
Please Note Saracens were once the equivalent of a non-league club, look at them now.
Their Copthall planning application was well thought out and designed to have minimum impact on the existing
facilities, why would locals object to them. In essence nothing has really changed at Copthall.
So if the Bees continue to bomb down through the levels "any time soon" may be very soon.
I have supported Barnet since 1966, still go occasionally, however I now watch Saracens probably the best club in Europe.
Why, because the club puts their supporters and sport right at the top of their priorities. Also they are relatively near to
High Barnet and straight forward to get to.
Its not all about expanding portfolio's of wealth and selling bits of chicken.
Sorry to give you this news, I am a totally disillusioned Barnet FC fan quite shocked to see the meltdown in the last 16months.
I think its makes our last meltdown after beating Blackpool 7 nil, seem quite minor.
You're not giving us news. It's your opinion. With holes all over it.

What levels have we "bombed down"? We're in L2, next season we might be in the National League. As far as I can see We haven't "bombed down" anything.

And if you think Saracens isn't about money - you're deluded.
Saracens certainly were not the equivalent of a non-league club either. Since the start of the English Rugby Union league system in the mid-80s they have been in the top 2 divisions.
DerekRocholl

shankbee01 wrote:
Hiveoccupier wrote:Does anyone think a candidate for Queensbury ward would get elected to the council if they supported further development at the Hive, or even just tried to convince local residents that the development that has already happened is a positive thing?

Interesting point, taking the football club away, I would imagine quite a few residents are happy it’s gone from disrepair to functioning sports centre. I might be wrong but unless you directly back onto the site it’s surely good for the area?

Worth stating I know nothing about this sort of thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Queensbury is a heavily canvassed area. Labour know very clearly what the local electorate think about the Hive and TK. It would be political suicide to take a different line with an election just a few months away.
barnetpete

Whatever the local residents views, they could take the attitude of we will work with the club to find solutions, we appreciate parking can be an issue but its also a community asset and as our local Councillors we will make sure the club use their community department to undertake as much community outreach work and to help the community locally, be it children, young people, the elderly etc and use the venue to support the local residents.

Instead they are using the opportunity to canvas cheap votes. Its lazy and not productive, as whether the club gets the planning application or not, the roads will still be busy on matchdays and people will still park in surrounding roads.

You're not acting as a labour spokesperson here are you?!
Please consider donating, to help disadvantaged Children & Young People in Barnet, https://www.youngbarnetfoundation.org.uk/donate,
ninestein

Copthall hasn't changed?
Er... it has. Look at the massive stand Saracens had built down one side. It totally dominates the place.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but that place has space for 10,000 people, no different to the amount we were proposing to go in there.
Same traffic impact etc etc.
The difference is simply that Barnet Council valued that rugby club far greater than they ever valued us. It's just sad.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
jerroll

ninestein wrote:Copthall hasn't changed?
Er... it has. Look at the massive stand Saracens had built down one side. It totally dominates the place.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but that place has space for 10,000 people, no different to the amount we were proposing to go in there.
Same traffic impact etc etc.
The difference is simply that Barnet Council valued that rugby club far greater than they ever valued us. It's just sad.
TK initially wanted 20k all seater - remember the model from bfcsa agm!, can't remember what was initially approved though.
Bee_Forever

It would a travesty of integrity to suggest that Labour have two choices. To support or oppose the hive. There is a third option. Say nothing about a nothing issue.

They did not have to use the hive as a political football. They have chosen to.

They are no better than the underhill Tories.

I have no political affiliations or memberships. Politicians are just politicians no matter which side of the a5 you are on.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
beew

Bee_Forever wrote:It would a travesty of integrity to suggest that Labour have two choices. To support or oppose the hive. There is a third option. Say nothing about a nothing issue.

I have no political affiliations or memberships. Politicians are just politicians no matter which side of the a5 you are on.

Words of wisdom.
STAVROS

Had some fairly inaccurate responses to my recent message, so lets get things right:
Fact 1
I would say my so called opinion is a lot nearer to fact than is appreciated.
Last season Barnet FC finished 15th, 11points above relegation position. Yes the difference between 15th and current place of 24th is only
a difference of 9. Yes last season was mediocre if not boring, so I apologise for using the word "Bombing" for current form. Its
WORSE, its depressing, we have lost 19 league games and looks like more to come, wake up please.
It reminds me of those days in Division 1 North Southern League, oh gawd that was bad times.

Fact 2
Yes I agree Saracens is about big money and they have debts to match it. However the Chairman has stated the best way to service a debt
is to get bums on seats by signing the best players from all round the world. End result, something worth while watching and well
attended. I wonder if that will ever happen at the Hive.

Fact 3
Yes Saracens have built a big stand and guess what, its positioned where there was not much there before. So I call that replacing
like with like, but on a bigger ambitious scale. Please note Barnet Shaftsbury Harriers still use Copthall after the temporary seats are removed before the Athletics season commences. Yes the Stand is dominating, why because its a fabulous state of the art building at a good distance from residential housing on the Copthall Park periphery. George Cohen's 1966 World Cup winners shirt is on display inside
on the staircase. How about that as a good relationship between Football & Rugby Union.
Can someone please tell did TK's proposal make allowances for the accommodation of the resident top class Athletics Club, Saracens proposal did. Maybe awareness of the bigger picture, made all the difference.

Fact 4
Saracens have made a big effort to reduce match day traffic. They put on shuttle buses from Mill Hill Broadway, Mill Hill East and
Edgware Station and yes its FREE FREE FREE. There is also public transport, buses and Northern Line.
There is also car parking for coaches and a number school car parking spaces on the outside of Copthall.

Fact 5
Finally someone is saying Saracens were not of non-league standard in the past. I attended a match at Bramley Road, Southgate
in 1988, there was about 300 people attending. At the time it certainly felt like a non-league set up.
They have come a long way in a very short time, something to respect & be proud of.

I hope this fills in any perceived holes in my last message sent to onlybarnet website.
DerekRocholl

Bee_Forever wrote:It would a travesty of integrity to suggest that Labour have two choices. To support or oppose the hive. There is a third option. Say nothing about a nothing issue.

How naive can you get ?
To bee or not to bee

It’s easy. Change the club name to Barnet & Queensbury FC. Get the locals to buy into the project. Bit of a mouthful so shorten it to B&Q Bees FC. Then just need to find a suitable sponsor. A business in Queensbury - Honeypot Lane maybe. Result compromise and everyone’s a winner.
Norfolk & Chance

To bee or not to bee wrote:It’s easy. Change the club name to Barnet & Queensbury FC. Get the locals to buy into the project. Bit of a mouthful so shorten it to B&Q Bees FC. Then just need to find a suitable sponsor. A business in Queensbury - Honeypot Lane maybe. Result compromise and everyone’s a winner.
You may well be much closer to what happens than you think.
Funny post though.
pgbee

STAVROS wrote:Had some fairly inaccurate responses to my recent message, so lets get things right:
Fact 1
I would say my so called opinion is a lot nearer to fact than is appreciated.
Last season Barnet FC finished 15th, 11points above relegation position. Yes the difference between 15th and current place of 24th is only
a difference of 9. Yes last season was mediocre if not boring, so I apologise for using the word "Bombing" for current form. Its
WORSE, its depressing, we have lost 19 league games and looks like more to come, wake up please.
It reminds me of those days in Division 1 North Southern League, oh gawd that was bad times.

Fact 2
Yes I agree Saracens is about big money and they have debts to match it. However the Chairman has stated the best way to service a debt
is to get bums on seats by signing the best players from all round the world. End result, something worth while watching and well
attended. I wonder if that will ever happen at the Hive.

Fact 3
Yes Saracens have built a big stand and guess what, its positioned where there was not much there before. So I call that replacing
like with like, but on a bigger ambitious scale. Please note Barnet Shaftsbury Harriers still use Copthall after the temporary seats are removed before the Athletics season commences. Yes the Stand is dominating, why because its a fabulous state of the art building at a good distance from residential housing on the Copthall Park periphery. George Cohen's 1966 World Cup winners shirt is on display inside
on the staircase. How about that as a good relationship between Football & Rugby Union.
Can someone please tell did TK's proposal make allowances for the accommodation of the resident top class Athletics Club, Saracens proposal did. Maybe awareness of the bigger picture, made all the difference.

Fact 4
Saracens have made a big effort to reduce match day traffic. They put on shuttle buses from Mill Hill Broadway, Mill Hill East and
Edgware Station and yes its FREE FREE FREE. There is also public transport, buses and Northern Line.
There is also car parking for coaches and a number school car parking spaces on the outside of Copthall.

Fact 5
Finally someone is saying Saracens were not of non-league standard in the past. I attended a match at Bramley Road, Southgate
in 1988, there was about 300 people attending. At the time it certainly felt like a non-league set up.
They have come a long way in a very short time, something to respect & be proud of.

I hope this fills in any perceived holes in my last message sent to onlybarnet website.
Fact 2: agree totally, will NEVER happen because our Chairman will not countenance a debt, so we are led to believe, hence we play the game hobbled compared to other clubs who don't give a sh1t on that.
Fact 5 : in those days most English rugby clubs had equivalent attendances before professionalism , Saracens result was always on Grandstand , more than could be said of a non league football club. They produced the occasional international, again not possible for a non league football team, consider that a hole!
Last edited by pgbee on 14 Feb 2018, 20:52, edited 1 time in total.