Not for the faint hearted........

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
rudebwoyben

Re: Not for the faint hearted........

ricardobee wrote:"You are boring...come up with something new and I night get interested."

Oh dear . . . Good night!
At 10am in the morning? :?:
hoppy

STAVROS wrote:I have just read recent message sent by Bee52.
I am deeply concerned by the 'The Curse of Underhill' story, why, because there is something in it.
Many years ago, in the early 1960's I travelled to the famous Barnet Fun Fair with my dad and brother. We walked along the well
worn footpath next to Dollis Brook and eventually arrived at the Fun Fair field. From there we strolled through and arrived at
Barnet Lane to see the Horse Trading Fair on the other side of the road.
To the right of the muddy entrance to the Horse Fair field, there was, and you won't believe it, a Gypsy Rosie Lee fortune teller booth. ITS THE TRUTH !
Now Gypsy Rosie Lee was much agitated and was pacing up and down Barnet Lane near the Bridge.
I have never heard so much ranting, swearing & cursing. I was quite young, frightened, but somehow was able to understand that she was saying:
No one, absolutely no one should disturb the Sacred Underhill turf, it would cause great unhappiness & misery if the unsettled
buried souls came to the surface.

Strange that, but I am not wrong, Bee52 completes the story.
I now understand why the results have been so bad, so bad, so bad.
That's the last time I cycle to Whetstone on the back route cycle path.
As a young lad I often visited the Barnet Fair when it came to the town every September. I loved the rides, the helterr skelter, the stall where you threw darts at playing cards, there was often a sort of circus/freak show and I usually went home with empty pockets (although one year I did win a goldfish which sadly died the following day).
Gipsy Rose Lee was, indeed, a regular visitor to Barnet Fair but I steered clear of her small tent. Even at such a young age I felt there was something evil about this woman.
One year, however, I would have been about 13 I went as usual to the fair with a pal of mine, Grant Bennett.Outside Gipsy Rose Lee's tent was a horse and cart. This aroused our curiosity and we climbed up to look into the cart. It was full of hunderdweight sacks of coal. In those days coal was delivered to the local houses by horse and cart. As we climbed down from the cart we heard voices coming from inside the tent. "Let's look in" said my pal. I was somewhat reticent but he grabbed my arm and dragged me over to the tent. At the back of the tent there was a small rip in the canvas, just big enough, though, for us to be able to peep in.
The Gypsy woman was standing there with three men. She had a flowing robe on, a colourful scarf on her head and big gold earrings.
One of the men was obviously the owner of the horse and cart. His face was blackened by the coal dust and he had huge arms and biceps so strong due to the nature of his physical job.
The second man was as dark as the darkest night you have ever experienced. His skin was black, his hair was black and, if I could have seen him up close I would have wagered his eyes were black too. He wore a black suit, a black shirt, a black tie and black shoes.
The third man was dressed in a very snazzy red suit, one of those popular at the time, thin drainpipe trousers and the collar of the jacket was made of black fur. He had a thin colourful tie on and on each finger of both hands he had at least one ring, probably gold.
After probably no more than a few seconds of Grant and I peeping through the hole in the tent the three men started to make their way out of the front. As they stepped out on to the grass Gypsy Rose Lee gave the most chilling of screeches which chilled me to the bone.
The three men stopped, turned round to her, whereupon she just said in a low tone " Go and do what you have to do! Destroy the bees".
Grant and I legged it as fast as our legs could carry us.
We often spoke about this in later years but it wasn't until very recently that we came to realise what this event was all about. Gypsy Rose Lee was planning the demise of Barnet Football Club..... and she used these three men to help her in this dastardly deed. The coal man, the black man and the flash man.
rudebwoyben

hoppy wrote:
STAVROS wrote:I have just read recent message sent by Bee52.
I am deeply concerned by the 'The Curse of Underhill' story, why, because there is something in it.
Many years ago, in the early 1960's I travelled to the famous Barnet Fun Fair with my dad and brother. We walked along the well
worn footpath next to Dollis Brook and eventually arrived at the Fun Fair field. From there we strolled through and arrived at
Barnet Lane to see the Horse Trading Fair on the other side of the road.
To the right of the muddy entrance to the Horse Fair field, there was, and you won't believe it, a Gypsy Rosie Lee fortune teller booth. ITS THE TRUTH !
Now Gypsy Rosie Lee was much agitated and was pacing up and down Barnet Lane near the Bridge.
I have never heard so much ranting, swearing & cursing. I was quite young, frightened, but somehow was able to understand that she was saying:
No one, absolutely no one should disturb the Sacred Underhill turf, it would cause great unhappiness & misery if the unsettled
buried souls came to the surface.

Strange that, but I am not wrong, Bee52 completes the story.
I now understand why the results have been so bad, so bad, so bad.
That's the last time I cycle to Whetstone on the back route cycle path.
As a young lad I often visited the Barnet Fair when it came to the town every September. I loved the rides, the helterr skelter, the stall where you threw darts at playing cards, there was often a sort of circus/freak show and I usually went home with empty pockets (although one year I did win a goldfish which sadly died the following day).
Gipsy Rose Lee was, indeed, a regular visitor to Barnet Fair but I steered clear of her small tent. Even at such a young age I felt there was something evil about this woman.
One year, however, I would have been about 13 I went as usual to the fair with a pal of mine, Grant Bennett.Outside Gipsy Rose Lee's tent was a horse and cart. This aroused our curiosity and we climbed up to look into the cart. It was full of hunderdweight sacks of coal. In those days coal was delivered to the local houses by horse and cart. As we climbed down from the cart we heard voices coming from inside the tent. "Let's look in" said my pal. I was somewhat reticent but he grabbed my arm and dragged me over to the tent. At the back of the tent there was a small rip in the canvas, just big enough, though, for us to be able to peep in.
The Gypsy woman was standing there with three men. She had a flowing robe on, a colourful scarf on her head and big gold earrings.
One of the men was obviously the owner of the horse and cart. His face was blackened by the coal dust and he had huge arms and biceps so strong due to the nature of his physical job.
The second man was as dark as the darkest night you have ever experienced. His skin was black, his hair was black and, if I could have seen him up close I would have wagered his eyes were black too. He wore a black suit, a black shirt, a black tie and black shoes.
The third man was dressed in a very snazzy red suit, one of those popular at the time, thin drainpipe trousers and the collar of the jacket was made of black fur. He had a thin colourful tie on and on each finger of both hands he had at least one ring, probably gold.
After probably no more than a few seconds of Grant and I peeping through the hole in the tent the three men started to make their way out of the front. As they stepped out on to the grass Gypsy Rose Lee gave the most chilling of screeches which chilled me to the bone.
The three men stopped, turned round to her, whereupon she just said in a low tone " Go and do what you have to do! Destroy the bees".
Grant and I legged it as fast as our legs could carry us.
We often spoke about this in later years but it wasn't until very recently that we came to realise what this event was all about. Gypsy Rose Lee was planning the demise of Barnet Football Club..... and she used these three men to help her in this dastardly deed. The coal man, the black man and the flash man.
:laugh: :y: :y: :y:
Norfolk & Chance

I knew Hoppy was a bloke!! :-)
STAVROS

Everything you say sounds very convincing and I am sure is true. I know you would not lie.

This dark swarthy person you talk of, was he Boswell St Louis the boxer from the Boxing Show. He had a deadly left
hook, took out many plucky Barnetians.

As for yourself, I am sure you were that bloke reciprocating between the Freak Show and Striptease booths
Bee52

:hi: :hi: :hi: Hats off indeed to Stavros and Hoppy for being brave enough to mention their somewhat traumatic tales from youth. Excellently delivered too, I almost felt I was there at the time I was reading them. Shivers down my spine and goosebumps on top of the hairs standing up on my arms. Definitely stay away from that cycle path Stavros, I've read on this forum very recently about another grey ghostly apparition on a bicycle.

Hoppy's trinity of three scary men is even more distressing though. My suggestion to you both and anyone else who is brave enough to visit THL in it's current state of possession, start carrying at least one bible with you and always avoid the sacrilege of putting holy water in your whiskey.
hoppy

Norfolk & Chance wrote:I knew Hoppy was a bloke!! :-)
Yes, that must have been either a Monday Wednesday or a Friday.
Tuesday Thursday and Saturday were the days I did ballet with the other girls.
On a Sunday I would spend hours flower arranging and polishing my high-heels.
Norfolk & Chance

In all seriousness you have a talent for the written word. I wanted the story to continue.......
ETBee

Despite all the ranting and negativity is this the most entertaining fans forum in the League?
I Was There

Depressing, sad, unfair, no more
I Was There
b4life

I loved Underhill and cherish the memories, but just when I move home, I never end up wistfully thinking about the 'old' house and going back to it or feeling 'sad' that I am no longer there. It's done, in the past. That's how it should be with Underhill. A house is made a home by the people who live in it, the same goes for a football stadium in my view, we make it what it is or what it isn't. It's time to move on.
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926
jerroll

b4life wrote:I loved Underhill and cherish the memories, but just when I move home, I never end up wistfully thinking about the 'old' house and going back to it or feeling 'sad' that I am no longer there. It's done, in the past. That's how it should be with Underhill. A house is made a home by the people who live in it, the same goes for a football stadium in my view, we make it what it is or what it isn't. It's time to move on.
You are entitled to your opinion & so are those who differ to that.
pauln50

Nostalgia isn't always pleasant. My Mum sold the ancestral home in The Wood back in 94 after Dad died, and I always had a picture in my head of what it was like and all the work my Dad had done on it. Last year I looked on Google earth and I could not recognise which house was ours. I had to count the houses up from the end of the street to work it out. I wish I hadn't bothered. Similarly I want to remember Underhill at its best, crammed full and rocking.
WinchyBee

Sure we can (and have to) all move on but it's so nice to cherish the old memories at the same time. I'm 25 and have very fond memories of my first experiences of live football with Darren Currie and Co at Underhill, I miss the place but at the same time think The Hive is very classy (minus the atmosphere or lack of it).