The Irn-Bru cup - why we need to get promoted asap...

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Livibee

Re: The Irn-Bru cup - why we need to get promoted asap...

rudebwoyben wrote:A top National League club ought to win this competition, the Scottish Championship is about mid-table National League standard and the Welsh and Northern Irish leagues are not even that.
Scottish Championship (excluding the bottom couple) is about the same level as league 2 - having seen Livi many times this season they would easily compete as a top third league 2 team.

John, what two Scottish grounds is Steve still to get to?
jerroll

Livibee wrote:
rudebwoyben wrote:A top National League club ought to win this competition, the Scottish Championship is about mid-table National League standard and the Welsh and Northern Irish leagues are not even that.
Scottish Championship (excluding the bottom couple) is about the same level as league 2 - having seen Livi many times this season they would easily compete as a top third league 2 team.

St Mirren and Spartans (while Eboro city are there)
rudebwoyben

Livibee wrote:

I totally disagree with you but I’ve been through this with you before.
If you look at Motherwell, half of their squad consists of players from National League clubs.
I watched a fair bit of both legs of the Livi-Partick Thistle play-off final, which Livi deservedly won. The standard of football on show looked National League standard to me.
Livibee

Looks like we need to agree to differ but the second leg of play off final was very poor when it comes to playing football and if that is the standard of National League then we should win the title at a canter next year. Livi set up to defend and protect the lead which was achieved fairly easily and does not reflect the usual standard of football in the Championship.
Last edited by Livibee on 05 Jun 2018, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.
amberforever

How about the Caledonian sleeper from Euston!
MCB

Sutton & Borehamwood confirmed: http://www.borehamwoodfootballclub.co.u ... n-bru-cup/

First fixture Saturday 8th September, so already messing up fixtures.

Last seasons winner Dumbarton played 6 fixtures, last 5 on Saturdays - so any success will be screwing it for everyone else. Dumbarton's first game was played in front of 380 people, so Borehamwood will fit right in.
ninestein

Look at it another way... that's additional fixtures for two other teams in our league who were strong last season, a distraction they could probably do without.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
Livibee

Like all these Micky Mouse competitions, nobody really cares about them unless they get into the final - similar to carabao cup down south, pointless competition and hated by supporters
becbee

Livibee wrote:Like all these Micky Mouse competitions, nobody really cares about them unless they get into the final - similar to carabao cup down south, pointless competition and hated by supporters
Last seasons Final attendances:
Carabao Cup 85,671
Check-a Trade Trophy 41,261
FA Trophy / Vase 31,430
The Irr- Bru Cup Final 4,602.

Looks like nobody cares about the Irn-Bru Cup even if they do reach the final.

Last season's final was played at St Johnstone's ground. Is the venue for the final pre-determined or is it decided once the finalists are known? If Sutton & Borehamwood both reached the final, would they have to traipse up to Scotland to play it or would it get played at a neutral ground in the south of England?
pgbee

becbee wrote:
Livibee wrote:Like all these Micky Mouse competitions, nobody really cares about them unless they get into the final - similar to carabao cup down south, pointless competition and hated by supporters
Last seasons Final attendances:
Carabao Cup 85,671
Check-a Trade Trophy 41,261
FA Trophy / Vase 31,430
The Irr- Bru Cup Final 4,602.

Looks like nobody cares about the Irn-Bru Cup even if they do reach the final.

Last season's final was played at St Johnstone's ground. Is the venue for the final pre-determined or is it decided once the finalists are known? If Sutton & Borehamwood both reached the final, would they have to traipse up to Scotland to play it or would it get played at a neutral ground in the south of England?
It would be at the Hive :-)
barnetjohn

ninestein wrote:Look at it another way... that's additional fixtures for two other teams in our league who were strong last season, a distraction they could probably do without.

Yes. Strikes me as a hassle both in terms of fixture buildup and some very hefty journeys. Would make more sense for a club close to Scotland (Carlisle?) where journeys are shorter. But for Sutton or Borehamwood that represents some really mammoth midweek games.?

With 46 league games plus FA trophy and FA Cup games (and possible playoffs) I think this would be more trouble than it's worth.

I am particularly surprised that these two teams have gone for it. Both are sides who are likely to be in the playoff mix and for whom any fixture congestion could prove v costly.
Norfolkbee

barnetjohn wrote:
ninestein wrote:Look at it another way... that's additional fixtures for two other teams in our league who were strong last season, a distraction they could probably do without.

Yes. Strikes me as a hassle both in terms of fixture buildup and some very hefty journeys. Would make more sense for a club close to Scotland (Carlisle?) where journeys are shorter. But for Sutton or Borehamwood that represents some really mammoth midweek games.?

With 46 league games plus FA trophy and FA Cup games (and possible playoffs) I think this would be more trouble than it's worth.

I am particularly surprised that these two teams have gone for it. Both are sides who are likely to be in the playoff mix and for whom any fixture congestion could prove v costly.
Perhaps they had no choice, but to enter. I assume there must be some sort of expenses package involved because a half-share in a 350 gate amounts to diddly squat.
becbee

With all due respect to Borehamwood and Sutton, why do the organisers of this competition want them in it anyway? I guess the majority of people in Scotland won't have even heard of either club / the towns they represent.
Mikel Bee

becbee wrote:With all due respect to Borehamwood and Sutton, why do the organisers of this competition want them in it anyway? I guess the majority of people in Scotland won't have even heard of either club / the towns they represent.
Presumably because they were the two highest finishing non league clubs last season who weren't promoted?

So, Irn Bru qualification may be our consolation prize next season if we don't go up.
ninestein

And we thought the Checkatrade Trophy had become a circus...
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!