WORLD CUP 2018 PREDICTION LEAGUE

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
barnetpete

Re: WORLD CUP 2018 PREDICTION LEAGUE

jerroll wrote:Jack Butland played for Cheltenham on 6/4/12 against us in a 2 -0 defeat
Ruins the whole headline.
Please consider donating, to help disadvantaged Children & Young People in Barnet, https://www.youngbarnetfoundation.org.uk/donate,
MCB

barnetpete wrote:
jerroll wrote:Jack Butland played for Cheltenham on 6/4/12 against us in a 2 -0 defeat
Turns out the journalist meant "at Barnet" - that game was at Cheltenham

Gowon Jerroll, i'm sure you can completely ruin that headline.
jerroll

MCB wrote:So, with so many of the England players at the World cup have played lower league football - but Barnet are the only football league club from last season that non of the England world cup team has played against (according to https://onsideview.com/football/interna ... -long-way/)

Dele Alli of course at MK Dons
Jordan Pickford has more League One clean sheets, from his time with Bradford City and Carlisle Utd, than he does in the Premier League.
Harry Kane's first goal was for Leyton Orient. Harry Macguire's at Oldham, Febian Delph, Nick Popes senior debut was for Cambridge Utd against Woking and especially Jamie Vardy.

So - with our favourite commentator standing down, we don't really have any World Cup links.

Can anyone think of any viable World Cup links? Have we played against any of the other countries teams players?
Kasper Schmeichel was in goal for Bury against us in September 2006 - the only game we ever scored in at Gigg lane!!
jerroll

MCB wrote:
barnetpete wrote:
Turns out the journalist meant "at Barnet" - that game was at Cheltenham

Gowon Jerroll, i'm sure you can completely ruin that headline.
Ah but that wasn't the question I answered! Butland was injured for the game at Underhill that season!
beew

MCB wrote:
Hat tip - that checks out. I've alerted the journalist - let's see if they change their published story based on that!
It was at Cheltenham's ground so the article is correct.
jerroll

beew wrote:
MCB wrote:
Hat tip - that checks out. I've alerted the journalist - let's see if they change their published story based on that!
That wasn't how MCB worded the question though!!Although I did also point out that Harry Kane played at Underhill in Lee Harrison's testimonial for a Spurs XI
MCB

jerroll wrote:
beew wrote:
MCB wrote:
That wasn't how MCB worded the question though!!Although I did also point out that Harry Kane played at Underhill in Lee Harrison's testimonial for a Spurs XI
Yeh, it was my phrasing initially, Jerroll was correct. Twice! Whilst the journos point of it being 'at Barnet in a first team game' I kind of understand!
Psycho

When I saw Andy Yiadom and Albert Adomah were playing for Ghana against Iceland the other night I got quite excited - two former Bees at the World Cup! Then I realised. Ghana haven't qualified. :doh:

Shows how interested I am in the 'greatest show in the world'. Severely bored and distracted.
Mickbee

Psycho wrote:When I saw Andy Yiadom and Albert Adomah were playing for Ghana against Iceland the other night I got quite excited - two former Bees at the World Cup! Then I realised. Ghana haven't qualified. :doh:

Shows how interested I am in the 'greatest show in the world'. Severely bored and distracted.
WTF? What are you missing the excitement of our relegation battle? Cut through all the England hype and enjoy it. If you love footy it's a month of bliss. #lovefooty
amberforever

RichardM wrote:
amberforever wrote:Ok guys.....hands up time......who remembers our greatest footballing moment in history?.....(No, not Sir Nick bearing down on goal) but Sir Bobby Moore lifting the World Cup???
I was an eleven year old lad on holiday in Wales, (don't ask) with my Dad. We were watching it on a b&w tv in a shop window, when the owner came out and invited us all in to watch seated with a cup of tea and biscuits to boot! Can't see that happening nowdays.
I was smitten with the prowess of the West Ham players!
I watched the game at a friend's house near Underhill in Greenhill Park. When we went 3-2 up I could not cope with the tension so went out for a walk up Greenhill parade and back. There were no cars driving along the high road and no other people out. When I returned to the house my friend's father turned and said the score was still 3-2. I replied "no, 4-2". I saw the final goal and he missed it when he turned round.
Thanks for your recounting Richard....sometimes it all seems like a dream! Everyone seemed so calm about it back then,very British...shaking hands after the win, (smoking a pipe!) no, not really......My Dad never really showed excitement. What would happen nowdays??!!
OB1
Location: Formerly Block C Underhill - Now block E East stand The Hive

RichardM wrote:
amberforever wrote:Ok guys.....hands up time......who remembers our greatest footballing moment in history?.....(No, not Sir Nick bearing down on goal) but Sir Bobby Moore lifting the World Cup???
I was an eleven year old lad on holiday in Wales, (don't ask) with my Dad. We were watching it on a b&w tv in a shop window, when the owner came out and invited us all in to watch seated with a cup of tea and biscuits to boot! Can't see that happening nowdays.
I was smitten with the prowess of the West Ham players!
I watched the game at a friend's house near Underhill in Greenhill Park. When we went 3-2 up I could not cope with the tension so went out for a walk up Greenhill parade and back. There were no cars driving along the high road and no other people out. When I returned to the house my friend's father turned and said the score was still 3-2. I replied "no, 4-2". I saw the final goal and he missed it when he turned round.
I was at Wembley that day with 2 other Barnet fans, sadly one is no longer alive. We were going on holiday that day and I drove to Cornwall straight from Wembley. We got there in the early hours of the morning to be greeted by 2 other Barnet fans who had driven down the day before and had a bit of a party and managed to wake up everyone on our holiday caravan site.
Prediction League Champion 2019/2020
Reckless

What car did you drive then Old Boy?
Bet it was an Austin Westminster or a Morris Minor. Did you take a Linvoy Stove and stop in a layby for a brew?

21 players in Prediction League so far I need more please!
Cheers Reckless
OB1
Location: Formerly Block C Underhill - Now block E East stand The Hive

Reckless wrote:What car did you drive then Old Boy?
Bet it was an Austin Westminster or a Morris Minor. Did you take a Linvoy Stove and stop in a layby for a brew?

Cheers Reckless
Wrong about the car. What is a linvoy stove? We did stop in Marlborough for a couple of beers, pre breathalyser days, and some strong coffee in a cafe on the Exeter bypass.
Prediction League Champion 2019/2020
55moth

OB1 wrote:
Reckless wrote:What car did you drive then Old Boy?

Cheers Reckless
Wrong about the car. What is a linvoy stove? We did stop in Marlborough for a couple of beers, pre breathalyser days, and some strong coffee in a cafe on the Exeter bypass.
OB1-Bet this wasn't it !!Image

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk