Apswach (hive) The match thread with a new trac'or

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
let_it_bee

Re: Apswach (hive) The match thread with a new trac'or

Not hard to see where our strengths and weaknesses lie at the moment. Solid and well organised throughout, but no cutting edge up front. Triallist number 22 looked quick and reasonably skilful, but nowhere near strong enough to lead the line. Coulthirst was the one attacking bright spark when he came on, though again not really one who can play up there up on his own.

Tarpey ran around a lot but sadly the came just seemed to pass him by - not really his fault, just wasn't getting the service. To be honest we were pretty toothless until the last 10-15 minutes, when we suddenly started to show some real attacking intent, and Sweeney put an absolute sitter of a header against the post. Most of the newcomers look sound, although I didn't notice too much from Sparkes and Adams. The former certainly isn't in the Darren Currie league - nothing fancy about him, but looks to have the ability to deliver a decent cross from the left. I can confirm though that he's already a fan target, as the guy next to me was castigating him from the about the 3rd minute (even pleading for him to pick up a long-term injury at one point - not nice).

We'll be ok this season but obviously whether or not we'll be serious challengers hinges on getting a serviceable replacement for JA.
LoudmouthBFC

Must do better next time. D-
#Beebot

I feel sorry for Sparkes. He's a limited player who fits into a specific system that requires a big centre forward.

Without that type of player up front, his contribution won't be much. Sadly he has no pace, and in three PSFs I've yet to see him take the ball past the full back as he's too slow.

If no centre forward comes in, Kyei must start on the opening day as we need someone to cut inside from the wing.
mcleod23

Disagree on Sparkes. When a winger has no pace, people slag them off. He’s got the best delivery into the box something we haven’t had in years. He supports the LB and works hard. You can’t play two flying wingers.

Kyei has had enough chances and never done anything.
#Beebot

I'm not saying he's a bad player. I'm saying that he is completely unsuitable for a team that doesn't have a big centre forward, as there is nobody to get on the end of his crosses.

Kyei rarely gets opportunities and rarely plays badly either. He was excellent at home to Plymouth, stopped playing when Nugent came in, and hardly played last season because we stupidly thought that Blackman would come good.
CrawleyBee

First game of the season for me, reasonably impressed, we certainly look solid. Shaq and Tarpey will cause problems I am sure of that, do need a big forward to mix things up a bit. The team that finished the game looked pretty decent, Although granted pre season doesn’t tell us much.
Formerly Watfordbee
gowerfan

Adams and Fonguck were the stand out players for me. Sadly Jack Taylor gave away too many simple passes and has yet to recapture his best form. Mason Clark is developing nicely and will be a regular up front. Like others I am concerned that Tutonda will be on his way now that Johnson is back. Good to see Tarpey back but it may take him a while to get his touch back.

Overall we have a typical hard working John Still team and we will be difficult to beat but where will the goals come from? Play off place should be possible but we won't win the league without a lot more flair.
#Beebot

I'd like to see Tutonda kept and deployed on the wing in some games.

It will be a real shame if he goes.
Beeznizz

Thought it was a good workout for the players against a very good & technical Ipswich side.
They dominated for much of the 1st half, but our defence held solid! Very confident with our defence going into this season. Thought Reynolds & Alexander were excellent with Alexander my standout today.
Our midfield was found wanting, with Taylor & Adams allowing their opposites to play between the lines. Was better when Boucaud came on as he and Adams started to impose themselves more.
A post that said “ the 22 trialist was about 5”10 & would be too light!” I actually thought he did well, considering playing against defensive players 3 leagues above! He’d do well in this league. I’d have another look at him. Not dismissing the fact we Do need an out & out number 9! Was good to see Tarpey out there! Overall another good workout.
#Beebot

I agree that the #22 didn't play badly, but he seems fairly similar to Shaq and isn't what we need.
#Beebot

BeeArmy wrote:I think #22 is Josh walker of Hendon.
http://www.hendonfc.net/Squad?method=view&id=2322
That's a good shout, looks similar to him.

If it is him then I'm more open to us signing him as he's only 20 so there's some potential there. I had assumed he was a few years older.

As I said previously he didn't look at all bad but just isn't the type of player we urgently need.
Tuesds

With Akinde, Akinola and Tutonda all out of the team for various reasons, the lack of pace in the team that’s taking shape is a bit of a concern.
letchbee94

Like the look of Sparkes, got good delivery on him.
Got feeling that Sweeney might see the odd red card this season.