Assessing the squad

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Norfolkbee

Re: Assessing the squad

Mr Smart wrote:
dawat wrote:can't say I really disagree with your assessment although if you ignore the other players we have, the loss of Shaq, Taylor and Tutonda looks like the loss of 3 players that other teams will snap up and make us regret at some future date! Obviously only time will tell, but we will feel a bit sick if any or all of them end up at League clubs but are not good enough for us!
I’ve heard from someone close to the players that Tutonda and Shaq aren’t very happy at the moment and could look to leave.
Here we go. The squad is already considerably weaker than the one that finished last season and it could get even weaker. Surely these are the very players the club should be moving heaven and earth to hold on to. They are guys that have played at a higher level. :grrr:
jonbonbaby

Last seasons pre season was great , look what happened , I pay zero attention to pre season results/performances they mean nothing
Norfolkbee

On paper, we now have some solid - if unspectacular - midfielders, so isn't this the time to give Jack Taylor an extended run in the team. He is probably our best (only) prospect, whose previous development has been hampered by the poor standard of player around him and he has been left to shoulder a lot of responsibility for someone still learning his trade. Now playing a division lower with seemingly a bit of steel and nous around him, he has every opportunity to fulfil his potential.
MCB

Norfolkbee wrote:
Mr Smart wrote:
dawat wrote:can't say I really disagree with your assessment although if you ignore the other players we have, the loss of Shaq, Taylor and Tutonda looks like the loss of 3 players that other teams will snap up and make us regret at some future date! Obviously only time will tell, but we will feel a bit sick if any or all of them end up at League clubs but are not good enough for us!
I’ve heard from someone close to the players that Tutonda and Shaq aren’t very happy at the moment and could look to leave.
Here we go. The squad is already considerably weaker than the one that finished last season and it could get even weaker. Surely these are the very players the club should be moving heaven and earth to hold on to. They are guys that have played at a higher level. :grrr:
Shaq and Tutonda do not have a huge amount of experience in the league though, and it's fair to say that neither has set the football league alight at any stage. We largely bought them on the basis of being young and showing potential. Tutonda got more playing time than we expected due to Johnson's injury, and Shaq simply never showed what we were hoping he could do after winning the L2 Player of the month award.

Suggest if they are both itching to return to the football league they should get their heads down and find the consistency to perform and impact games on a regular basis we know they can do. If anyone in the league above wants them, they can reach into their pockets and pay us - although the probably won't as they know they signing players on potential rather than consistent league quality performances.
#Beebot

MCB wrote:
Norfolkbee wrote:
Mr Smart wrote:
Shaq and Tutonda do not have a huge amount of experience in the league though, and it's fair to say that neither has set the football league alight at any stage. We largely bought them on the basis of being young and showing potential. Tutonda got more playing time than we expected due to Johnson's injury, and Shaq simply never showed what we were hoping he could do after winning the L2 Player of the month award.

Suggest if they are both itching to return to the football league they should get their heads down and find the consistency to perform and impact games on a regular basis we know they can do. If anyone in the league above wants them, they can reach into their pockets and pay us - although the probably won't as they know they signing players on potential rather than consistent league quality performances.
Tutonda has done little wrong to be fair and is more than good enough to start for most L2 sides. I would look at rotating him with Johnson or utilising him on the wing in some games. He's too good to lose.

Shaq is probably a high earner and he's too inconsistent. I wouldn't mind us offloading him.
bigjohnakinde

I'd rank Tutonda as our second best player last season after Sweeney. Technically very good, fast and ability to go forward.

Would have him starting over Johnson for sure.
barnetpete

It's not just about ability though, it is also about (and I have no knowledge ) effort and attitude in training. I assume that if they are surplus to requirements/frozen out/allowed to leave then they have been assessed on ability and attitude by JS/DC.

Many a good player is let down by attitude whilst others it is there attitude and work ethic that takes them higher than potentially their ability may initially suggest (for example Joe Devera).
Please consider donating, to help disadvantaged Children & Young People in Barnet, https://www.youngbarnetfoundation.org.uk/donate,
#Beebot

barnetpete wrote:It's not just about ability though, it is also about (and I have no knowledge ) effort and attitude in training. I assume that if they are surplus to requirements/frozen out/allowed to leave then they have been assessed on ability and attitude by JS/DC.

Many a good player is let down by attitude whilst others it is there attitude and work ethic that takes them higher than potentially their ability may initially suggest (for example Joe Devera).
I would agree but I haven't seen or heard anything to suggest a bad attitude from Tutonda, certainly not on the pitch.

You can usually gauge which players have a poor attitude e.g. KMB.
Stuart

Tutonda over Johnson, definitely
Mem Beespod

From the conversation I had, it was less about itching to play higher and more about the impression that Still has given them in terms of how they’re likely to be utilised this season
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938
jdmckbee

Johnson over Tutonda at LB, definitely.
We're the West Bank Underhill......
john dockers shorts

I wasn't expecting to see pretty much a new team on the opening day.

After losing to Chesterfield I thought that 11 with additions would do okay. Unfortunately I don't feel that now.

Not seen them play but it just looks so much weaker than how we finished the season.
becbee

john dockers shorts wrote:I wasn't expecting to see pretty much a new team on the opening day.

After losing to Chesterfield I thought that 11 with additions would do okay. Unfortunately I don't feel that now.

Not seen them play but it just looks so much weaker than how we finished the season.
Not sure how you can say it just looks weaker when you've not seen them play.

I've only seen one PSF myself so will defer judgement until after 2-3 NL matches.
john dockers shorts

I realised my use of language would be picked up.

I should of said my view having seen who we have added versus what we have lost. Also reading mixed reviews.

Agreed we will know after the first 6-10 games the ability and how we will do.

John still is a decent manager who knows more than any of us so fingers crossed.
antbfc

Stuart wrote:Tutonda over Johnson, definitely
absolutely