Promised much but disappointed

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Livibee

Re: Promised much but disappointed

rudebwoyben wrote:I’m pretty sure we’d beat Livingston. How attractively a team plays doesn’t show how good they are.
Just wonder if your opinion has changed in recent weeks to this statement - regretfully Barnet have gone from one disaster to another with crowds now below 1,000 whereas Livi have just beaten Rangers and second in the SPL.
rudebwoyben

Livibee wrote:
rudebwoyben wrote:I’m pretty sure we’d beat Livingston. How attractively a team plays doesn’t show how good they are.
Just wonder if your opinion has changed in recent weeks to this statement - regretfully Barnet have gone from one disaster to another with crowds now below 1,000 whereas Livi have just beaten Rangers and second in the SPL.
Well obviously. We’ve got worse and Livi have got better. A year ago I bet you weren’t expecting Livi to get promoted and then start so well in the SPL as you’d only just been promoted from the third tier. I’m liking the way that Livi have shaken things up in Scottish football this season too.
Livibee

Agree, the continued success in SPL is quite incredible however, my point is that people down south generally have a low opinion of the standard of football up here especially in the Scottish Championship. Whilst obviously not as good as the English top two leagues, the standard is about the same as bottom league 2 but above National league - the main issue is the lack of money so unable to attract anybody that costs money (and rely of freebies) - let's hope that the fortunes change very soon at THL.
MCB

I suspect that most Barnet fans views of Scottish football are based on seeing our players going straight into the upper echelons or vice versa... i.e. Dean Brill, Kenny Gillet, Simon King, Nicky Deverdics.
rudebwoyben

MCB wrote:I suspect that most Barnet fans views of Scottish football are based on seeing our players going straight into the upper echelons or vice versa... i.e. Dean Brill, Kenny Gillet, Simon King, Nicky Deverdics.
With Olly Lee slotting seamlessly in at current pacesetters Hearts the latest example.

Anyway, any Scottish team that manages to defy the terrible twosome gets a thumbs-up from me.
#Beebot

Livibee wrote:Agree, the continued success in SPL is quite incredible however, my point is that people down south generally have a low opinion of the standard of football up here especially in the Scottish Championship. Whilst obviously not as good as the English top two leagues, the standard is about the same as bottom league 2 but above National league - the main issue is the lack of money so unable to attract anybody that costs money (and rely of freebies) - let's hope that the fortunes change very soon at THL.
I think most fans would agree that the better teams in the Scottish second tier would be fine in L2, with the league being roughly top half NL standard overall probably.

I only take issue with the subset of Scottish fans who get annoyed every time Scotland call up a player from the Championship because they're convinced that a mid table SPL player could do a better job, when you have players from L2 and in some cases the NL or below slotting quite comfortably into the SPL. To be fair many people overrate their country's own league. A Welsh friend of mine is absolutely convinced that the Welsh top flight is on a par with the NL, and that TNS would win the NL!

I've noticed that more and more English players are going up to Scotland now. It's got to the point now where some SPL clubs put more effort into scouting English non-league than pro English clubs do, e.g. Hamilton signing Carshalton's top scorer.
rudebwoyben

#Beebot wrote:
Livibee wrote:Agree, the continued success in SPL is quite incredible however, my point is that people down south generally have a low opinion of the standard of football up here especially in the Scottish Championship. Whilst obviously not as good as the English top two leagues, the standard is about the same as bottom league 2 but above National league - the main issue is the lack of money so unable to attract anybody that costs money (and rely of freebies) - let's hope that the fortunes change very soon at THL.
I think most fans would agree that the better teams in the Scottish second tier would be fine in L2, with the league being roughly top half NL standard overall probably.

I only take issue with the subset of Scottish fans who get annoyed every time Scotland call up a player from the Championship because they're convinced that a mid table SPL player could do a better job, when you have players from L2 and in some cases the NL or below slotting quite comfortably into the SPL. To be fair many people overrate their country's own league. A Welsh friend of mine is absolutely convinced that the Welsh top flight is on a par with the NL, and that TNS would win the NL!

I've noticed that more and more English players are going up to Scotland now. It's got to the point now where some SPL clubs put more effort into scouting English non-league than pro English clubs do, e.g. Hamilton signing Carshalton's top scorer.
TNs might avoid relegation from the National League but the rest of the Welsh League is about Step 3 standard.