Stockport (Hive) The Match Thread Helped by the Halifax

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Bee_Forever

Stockport (Hive) The Match Thread Helped by the Halifax

So... Sunday sees the bees enter the second round of the FA cup after an improbable win against Bristol Rovers.

Unlike in previous years it is clear that the club is prioritising this competition, even at the cost of its own supporters, in an attempt to draw a plum third round tie.

Having taking down Yeovil in the previous round Stockport County will provide stern opposition as the sleeping giants of Greater Manchester travel in great numbers to Tony's wedding venue and medical facility. With over 1,000 tickets sold to away fans it will feel like an away fixture for Barnet fans, but without the nice beer and atmosphere.

My memories of travelling to Stockport involve a glorious 4-1 away win, and another occasion where we had to don £1 poncho's as the away stand took a battering from the seasonal north west weather, followed by a bunch of kids throwing stones at the Supporters Coach (when we had one).

It is hoped that we will be able to progress at the first time of asking and after we struggled to get a foothold in the Gateshead game, this may be the time to return to a more tried and trusted John Still formation.

My team:-

----------------------Cousins--------------------------

--H. Taylor----Reynolds----Sweeney---Johnson--

--Walker----Robson----J. Taylor----Fonguck------

--------------Duku-------Coulthirst-------------------

Subs: Matrevics, Alexander, Adams, Mason-Clark, Sparkes, Harrison, Bettamer

I am going to the game, despite the club screwing over me and many other loyal fans during the week, and despite the match being on at the same time as the NLD as I still love my club and want them to be successful.

COYB's :y:
Last edited by Bee_Forever on 28 Nov 2018, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.
rudebwoyben

Re: Stockport (Hive) The Match Thread Helped by the Halifax

It was a 4-2 win in 2007/08, not 4-1!
Bee_Forever

Ooops, one too many boddington's that day I guess.
Norfolkbee

According to posts on Twitter, the club seem to be making it hard for Stockport fans to buy tickets. Surely they should be making it as easy as possible if they want a decent crowd! But hey this is Barnet.
rudebwoyben

Bee_Forever wrote:Ooops, one too many boddington's that day I guess.
Well, Ashley Carew did score for us that day!
ninestein

This is the FA Cup. Stockport are going to come here with a decent backing and be at it from the word go. We have to be ready for it and match them with a high energy performance of our own. They haven't made the 2nd round in about 9 seasons (feels like the same for us mind you). We all know what's potentially at stake in round 3, but we have to earn the right to be there.

For me, there's no need to change the system. But what we do need is to select the right pairing up front, and make sure the ball gets to them. I would go with Duku and Bettamer for some physical presence. We still have options on the bench to freshen it up in the second half. The midfield needs to be full of energy. Taylor, Fonguck and Adams are more than capable, but it's going to be a proper old-school cup match. Tackles coming in quick, no time on the ball for mucking about. As the game settles down a bit, hopefully that little bit of extra fitness and quality will tell. I just hope we can get ourselves in front.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
letchbee94

Bee_Forever wrote:
I am going to the game, despite the club screwing over me and many other loyal fans during the week, and despite the match being on at the same time as the NLD as I still love my club and want them to be successful.

COYB's :y:
Exactly it still our club and we will still be here long after the powers that be.
jlay72

Hopefully there will be support for our side. Looking at tickets sold for us is very depressing. This is a massive game and an opportunity to meet a big side and get some media attention. If this happens the club needs to make the most of the opportunity. Reading some of the threads lately are pretty negative. Hopefully we can get ourselves out of it.
Pixie

Stockport have the most depressing club song I've ever heard. It's called 'The Scarf my Father Wore'. It starts:
'We are everything in football,
That people say's sad and wrong,'
And I'm fairly certain that at the end, the singer hangs themself with the scarf.

My memories of Stockport include a massive scarf that went round one of their stands and Liam Hatch bursting the ball with his studs up challenge.
John_c

jlay72 wrote: Reading some of the threads lately are pretty negative. Hopefully we can get ourselves out of it.
Ha! You new here?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

Proud Winner of the Sponsor Marvin Armstrong Shirt Raffle 2023/24

Worlds best Prediction League player
ImposterSCFC

Pixie wrote:Stockport have the most depressing club song I've ever heard. It's called 'The Scarf my Father Wore'. It starts:
'We are everything in football,
That people say's sad and wrong,'
And I'm fairly certain that at the end, the singer hangs themself with the scarf.

My memories of Stockport include a massive scarf that went round one of their stands and Liam Hatch bursting the ball with his studs up challenge.
It's actually quite a defiant and uplifting song about history, belonging, family memories, pride, devotion, culture, and other such wholesome things. The last verse is sung extremely rarely:

The full song :

We are everything in football,
That people say's sad and wrong,
But when we go to Edgeley Park,
We will sing our County songs,
We'll raise our voice in chorus,
As we did in times before,
And at Edgeley Park our greatest pride,
Is the scarf my father wore.

(Chorus)
It's forever being beautiful,
And the colour's white and blue,
I wore it proudly 'round my neck,
At Chesterfield & Crewe,
My father was a County fan,
Like me grandfather before,
And at Edgeley Park I love to wear,
The scarf me father wore.

We will always follow County,
To all games far and near,
And at Edgeley Park we'll sing those songs,
That me father loved to hear,
We will raise our pints in memory,
Of the games he loved to see,
And at Edgeley Park, I'll wear the scarf,
That me father left to me.

Chorus as above

It's passed down the generations, of my family,
Oh my grandad gave it to my dad,
And me dad gave it to me.
And when my time is over,
And life's long race is run,
I'll take the scarf from 'round my neck,
And I'll pass it to my son!!!

Chorus as above.

It tends to be only the 3rd verse and the chorus that are sung usually. The fourth verse about walking up gallow steps is pretty much never sung - I've been following County for nearly 25 years, been all over the place (140ish grounds) been in the pubs, terraces, on the trains, coaches, minibuses etc... and literally heard it sung maybe twice in that time.

:-)
CrawleyBee

Come on Barnet! They might have the best uplifting song in football, and 90,000 fans coming, but they are conference north, no reason why we can’t beat them.
Last edited by CrawleyBee on 29 Nov 2018, 06:55, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly Watfordbee
John_c

watfordbee wrote:Come in Barnet! They might have the best uplifting song in football, and 90,000 fans coming, but they are conference north, no reason why we can’t beat them.
I dunno, a song based on the sash my father wore may not be that uplifting to some...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

Proud Winner of the Sponsor Marvin Armstrong Shirt Raffle 2023/24

Worlds best Prediction League player
hoofer2

John_c wrote:
watfordbee wrote:Come in Barnet! They might have the best uplifting song in football, and 90,000 fans coming, but they are conference north, no reason why we can’t beat them.
I dunno, a song based on the sash my father wore may not be that uplifting to some...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A dress would make more people listen...

I would argue that "Ever Onward IBM" is an even more depressing ditty than that blockbuster https://www.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibit ... clips.html
MCB

I got a soft spot for Stockport, just remember being wowed by the size of the one stand when I used to go past by train as a kid, and then by the size of of Kevin Francis, so I should probably be wowed by the size of their away following.

But I won't be. As one of their fans have said it's their biggest game for 10 years, whereas for us it wouldn't make the top 10 biggest games. They've had a shite time of things, and I hope they turn things around and get back up to the football league promptly.

But in the meantime, we're a midtable conference team, they are midtable conference north. we're better for them, man for man, and as long as John Still has everyone in the right mindset, then we should beat them, wish them well, and prepare for the next round, and perhaps luck will finally favour us with a nice draw.

I know that our players will not 'do a Yeovil and / or Bristol Rovers' and assume we just need to turn up to win. We don't do that, we're used to being on the other side of that, and have a proud history of trashing patronising 'big clubs'. That's our style. So as long as our players are in the right mindset, we will win 8 out of 10 times - we have the better players. If Stockport win good for them, but they shouldn't.