Who do you want and who will be get?

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Mikel Bee

Re: Who do you want and who will be get?

PBBee wrote:So now Guiseley are out, we are now the only non-league team left in the Cup not to get a Premier league team. With the other 4 all getting home ties vs Spurs, Arsenal, Leicester & Watford!!

And the league 2 teams left got Palace, Everton & Fulham away.
Just our luck to draw a L1/Championship yoyo club.

Doesn't look like their large league attendances translate into big cup ones either. Earlier this year they had fewer than 13k home fans for an FA Cup tie vs Preston North End yet the same league fixture a couple of months later was over 28k. Will be surprised if there are more than 10k for this one.

Best hope is to take it to a replay and make some money from live coverage?
barnetjohn

Given that both Sheffield clubs are at home- as others have commented, there'll probably have to move one game. Given that Wednesday have got Luton that looks like the more troublesome tie to police. I wonder if the police will want to move that to Sunday, and have it kick off at 1pm to reduce risk of aggro. For once our reputation as well behaved decent fans might just pay off!
rudebwoyben

MCB wrote:Am I right in saying that whenever we've made the 3rd round we've never failed to make the 4th round draw?
Not quite, we lost 5-0 at home to Portsmouth on the Saturday in the third round in 90/91. I think our 3-1 loss to Charlton on the Sunday the following season would have been before the draw too.
Bladesman

Sheffield United fan in peace!

I think the draw will bring the first ever meeting between the two clubs, and I hope you bring a few up to watch it.
Our ground is the oldest ground in the world to still be hosting professional football, is the only ground to host England cricket and football, it was also the first ever ground to play a floodlit match,and we are the worlds first United!
Sheffield is the birthplace of the game, rules devised here, Sheffield fc is the worlds oldest club, and Hallam fc play on the worlds oldest ground, Sandygate.
Anyone interested in their history, I would recomend a visit to our museum at the back of the South stand(built on the cricket pitch, Yorkshire moved out in 1973)
Our rivals Wed played here first, and even had the nickname The Blades before eventually ending up on the edge of the city in Owlerton, giving them the nickname The Owls, we took over the City centre ground, and any visitors will be made very welcome, and you can walk into the city without any hassle.
There are plenty of pubs round the ground, mostly home fans only, but the city centre pubs start around 10 mins away, and there is a Wetherspoons on Cambridge Street, opposite our City Hall, 15 min walk.
Unfortunately there won`t be 10,000 there, so you wont experience the full Bramall Lane atmosphere, and the Kop may even be closed, Utd fans are reluctant to fork out for games like this (Yorkshire folk and their brass!), I`ll be there though, 35 years since I missed a game at our iconic stadium.
Also we will be bang up for it, our manager Chris WIlder is very demanding, and regardless of the changes, we will be bang at it, and play a front foot style, playing through the thirds, with wing backs, and centre halves joining in the attacks!
The last game of this ilk, we beat Leyton Orient 6-0.

Hope the game is on the Saturday, and hope to see a good Bees following, will also be nice to see Campbell-Ryce again (once a Blade...)
chesbee

Thanks for the info, Campbell- Ryce is now at Stevenage
Bladesman

Cheers, Wondered why he wasn`t playing! :oooops:
Edd1

barnetjohn wrote:Given that both Sheffield clubs are at home- as others have commented, there'll probably have to move one game. Given that Wednesday have got Luton that looks like the more troublesome tie to police. I wonder if the police will want to move that to Sunday, and have it kick off at 1pm to reduce risk of aggro. For once our reputation as well behaved decent fans might just pay off!
I'm inclined to agree. There's no way we'll be picked for one of the full coverage live games and Yorkshire's finest will almost certainly prefer us on a Saturday to Luton.

Friend of mine works for the police there (Wednesday fan who's planning on coming to the game with us) and is keeping her ear to the ground for me. Will pass on any tip offs!
NoMagRyan

I'm looking forward to this. Obviously it's a shame it's not a Prem club but looking forward to visiting Bramall Lane and having a few drinks in Sheffield.

EDIT: When do we find out what's happening with the fixture? Really hoping it stays on the Saturday
55moth

[quote="Bladesman"]Sheffield United fan in peace!

I think the draw will bring the first ever meeting between the two clubs, and I hope you bring a few up to watch it.
Our ground is the oldest ground in the world to still be hosting professional football, is the only ground to host England cricket and football, it was also the first ever ground to play a floodlit match,and we are the worlds first United!

Anyone interested in their history, I would recomend a visit to our museum at the back of the South stand(built on the cricket pitch, Yorkshire moved out in 1973)

Memories! I first went to Bramall Lane in Jan.1974 for United v Tottenham. We were welcomed into the old cricket pavilion which was used as a bar area and from there I've vague memories of a raised walkway across to the back of the new stand ! I know that pavilion was demolished a few years later but on that afternoon you still felt you were in a cricket ground which had a brand new football stand built across the middle of it ! The match finished 2-2,I'd be happy with that in January !

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk
Psycho

Always had a soft spot for Sheffield as I'm a huge snooker fan and the Crucible is the home of the sport. What a unique atmosphere it has.

I really hope we play this tie on a Saturday at 3pm. The train looks very tempting indeed.

Thanks for telling us about your history and great city, Bladesman. And let's hope Wendy v Loot'n is switched to the Sunday! :D
hoofer2

The cup is all about tradition. Sheffield Utd have more Division 1 pedigree than Bournemouth, Wigan, Watford etc. and are a bigger club, but because they are not in PL fans are moaning.

If conceivably Sheff Utd had got promotion to PL would fans still complain? The competition's perceived worth began to erode with SKY TV and UEFA combining to insist
the Premier League and Champions League are the only competitions worth discussion. With saturated TV coverage at all levels, we'll never go back to the good old days
with one or two televised games per week on terrestrial TV. To get your football fix you had to go to matches. Let's embrace these cup ties while we still can.

My disappointment is more to do with yet again not playing a big team at The Hive in a competitive fixture in the Cup. The Hive needs a high profile game to
break the sense of dissatisfaction that seems to emanate on matchdays, even after strong performances !

The Cup games brought some good memories to Underhill, yet in recent times MA etc. has not this had this as a priority. If you want to attract new fans, the buzz of a
decent cup run is the way to achieve this, not a reduced price to watch Solihull Moors at home.

When PF took as through to the 4th round, even though we only played Colchester and Plymouth on route, there was a thrill in the air. The Yak-Attack goal,
the Puncheon blockbuster and a Scott Sinclair wonder goal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 213777.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 282155.stm
Last edited by hoofer2 on 04 Dec 2018, 11:23, edited 2 times in total.
burge019

hoofer2 wrote:The cup is all about tradition. Sheffield Utd have more Division 1 pedigree than Bournemouth, Wigan, Watford etc. and are a bigger club, but because they are not in PL fans are moaning.
Completely agree with this statement.

OK not a premiership team but a big team with a Rich History and one I would much sooner visit than a Watford or Bournemouth and certainly a better outcome than a GIllingham, Accrington or Oxford away. Where we would inevitably lose to a team we have played in recent years.