FA cup 3rd round

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Roy57

FA cup 3rd round

Drawn Sheffield United away
letchbee94

Re: FA cup 3rd round

Personally am happy with this, I did say that if it was not be a Liverpool, Newcastle etc then the next best thing would be to a team we have not been to before and Sheffield is a tick in that box.
dawat

Not a fantastic draw but could have been much much worse! Hopefully will make the club a few pennies!
footballman

Agreed it could have been much worse than Sheffield United in terms of our chances of winning the game. They are quite high up in the Championship league but if you examine their performance recently, they are performing at the level of the lower half of their league. They've recently drawn against Rotherham (near relegation zone) and Sheffield Wednesday both of which are low down in the Championship league. They just managed to beat Brentford by 1 late goal having conceded 2 goals. They lost to Leeds at home. Barnet is going from strength to strength and we definitely have a chance of beating Sheffield United. If we can beat an EFL1 team (Bristol Rovers) as we did! We can beat a Championship team performing at the level of the lower teams of their league. Come on Barnet! We need to get as many fans travelling to Sheffield as we can!
ccollis_869

footballman wrote:Agreed it could have been much worse than Sheffield United in terms of our chances of winning the game. They are quite high up in the Championship league but if you examine their performance recently, they are performing at the level of the lower half of their league. They've recently drawn against Rotherham (near relegation zone) and Sheffield Wednesday both of which are low down in the Championship league. They just managed to beat Brentford by 1 late goal having conceded 2 goals. They lost to Leeds at home. Barnet is going from strength to strength and we definitely have a chance of beating Sheffield United. If we can beat an EFL1 team (Bristol Rovers) as we did! We can beat a Championship team performing at the level of the lower teams of their league. Come on Barnet! We need to get as many fans travelling to Sheffield as we can!
There is also a high chance they may play a very rotated team. They are and will be in a play-off battle for a place in the Premier League and with non-league opposition at home I would be surprised to see a full Sheffield United team. We are going to knick it 1-0, with one of the most uncomfortable/unbearable final 10 minutes ever witnessed by a Barnet fan
SouthBristolBee

No doubt the media will try and find a connection between Sheffield United and Barnet when they preview the match. I suppose the most obvious connection is our assistant manager Darren Currie who I believe is the nephew of the United legend Tony Currie. Older supporters like me will certainly remember Tony Currie racing past opposition defenders during the 1970s.
CrawleyBee

after initially being underwhelmed its actually a pretty decent draw. Could have easily been Accy or Grimsby etc. Lets enjoy the day and you never know we might get a result! lets travel in numbers and support the lads like the good old days.
Formerly Watfordbee
pgbee

Given who was left in the draw it wasn't too bad..
Psycho

Wouldn't want to have gone to Wolverhampton again. God, that city was so depressing (and in August!)

I can only really think of three football club songs that make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up (Liverpool - You'll Never Walk Alone, West Ham - I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles and Sheffield United - Greasy Chip Butty when they're sung at full blast by the fans). Given the expected reduced attendance it would be great to hear the official version over the tannoy just before kick-off.
footballman

ccollis_869 wrote:
footballman wrote:Agreed it could have been much worse than Sheffield United in terms of our chances of winning the game. They are quite high up in the Championship league but if you examine their performance recently, they are performing at the level of the lower half of their league. They've recently drawn against Rotherham (near relegation zone) and Sheffield Wednesday both of which are low down in the Championship league. They just managed to beat Brentford by 1 late goal having conceded 2 goals. They lost to Leeds at home. Barnet is going from strength to strength and we definitely have a chance of beating Sheffield United. If we can beat an EFL1 team (Bristol Rovers) as we did! We can beat a Championship team performing at the level of the lower teams of their league. Come on Barnet! We need to get as many fans travelling to Sheffield as we can!
There is also a high chance they may play a very rotated team. They are and will be in a play-off battle for a place in the Premier League and with non-league opposition at home I would be surprised to see a full Sheffield United team. We are going to knick it 1-0, with one of the most uncomfortable/unbearable final 10 minutes ever witnessed by a Barnet fan
That would make life easier for us, but I think they will still try their best, they probably fancy their chances at going far in the FA cup, so Barnet must be fully prepared! My guess is that by January Sheffield United will have slipped a few places down in the table judging by their current performance. Nice 1-0 prediction! Even a draw would be fine, then we could beat them at home in the replay :) But let's go for the win in Sheffield! that would be brilliant. Come on Barnet!
CrawleyBee

a draw isn't impossible i guess! would be decent to have a crack at them at THL.
Formerly Watfordbee
becbee

Swindon lost at home to Woking at least in part due to putting out a weakened side - when Woking saw the team sheet it gave them an added incentive. Fair enough Sheffield United probably won't put out their strongest side but if they are too complacent, we could do a Woking on them!
ninestein

We can't lose! By rights they should beat us comfortably, but i do fancy us to score up there. Who knows... i'd be very happy with a replay and at least getting our name in the hat for round 4. We are a non league club, and reaching the 3rd round is a massive achievement as it is. But it's not impossible to go one better.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
PBBee

I’m sure we seem more confident than before the Bristol Rovers game which doesn’t make much sense.
NoMagRyan

PBBee wrote:I’m sure we seem more confident than before the Bristol Rovers game which doesn’t make much sense.
Maybe because we've shown we're capable of upsets in this cup run which we hadn't before the Rovers game

(Note: I'm not confident)