Wood (Hive) Wrestlemania 2: The New Day Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
amberforever

Re: Wood (Hive) Wrestlemania 2: The New Day Thread

Wow, that stench behind the West.!! I hope it wasn’t food related ; something had died. Thoughts on the match: we were unlucky not to grab the win with that madness from SA. How did Wood manage to be this high in the league???? Easily the least skilful side I’ve seen at the Hive. Dirty bunch to boot: be surprised if they’re not lower half come end of the season. We are lacking fire power. Shaq not up to lone striker role, too lightweight and loses possession far too easily. Wonder strike from EMC for the goal. Too many stray passes from us, More power to Dazzas work to sort it all out.
Last edited by amberforever on 01 Jan 2019, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.
LeicesterBee

Decent performance. A breath of fresh air from what we’ve had to endure so far this season - give DC the job now.

Also worth giving the South Terrace Ultras a mention, great atmosphere today which seems to be improving every game.

Bring on the Blades!
barnetpete

REALLY POSITIVE

Firstly I really enjoyed that today, first time in months.

A team that wanted to play, but were also happy to scrap against a team of bruisers. Compared to Boxing Day we had more fight, but more pleasing was the desire to want to play.

We won’t become a footballing side overnight, and DC will need some time on the training pitch with the lads but that was really encouraging, the desire to get the ball down,the aim to give and go and to create space. Boringwood tried to stifle us but we tried hard to play. Long live the DC revolution.
Please consider donating, to help disadvantaged Children & Young People in Barnet, https://www.youngbarnetfoundation.org.uk/donate,
b4life

Very unlucky not to win today but a much, much improved performance over matches I have recently witnessed. We need a stronger midfield and a proper centre forward for a start but if DC carries on in this this vein then we have a lot to look forward to. Boring wood were incredibly one dimensional and we passed the ball well. It was also great to have an atmosphere today at the Hive for a change. If Sheffield United rest a few players we might not get stuffed on Sunday.
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926
BEE428

I thought that was a decent performance, the players were driven and we were unlucky not to get 3 points. I think Masson-Clark is a rough diamond who hopefully we can get firing on all cylinders
Prediction League Champion 2012/13 & 2013/14
LeftSideRun

jerroll wrote:
peterstebbings wrote:Plenty of positives today

- Lovely strike from EMC. One of the best I’ve seen at The Hive
- some really nice football. First half we were pretty but not very incisive. Bit more punch in the second
- Elito looked a class act, except for one bad moment when he lost the ball second half
- Sweeney, Reynolds, and Robson all very solid
- we deserved to win, but an enjoyable game
- free booze was a nice touch from the club

Negatives
- two very sloppy moments from Akinola cost us the game
- Tutonda needs to replace EJ
- Alexander had some good moments and some bad ones
- Shag cannot play up on his own. We’ve lots of strikers but not sure any one of them is good enough
- awful referee. ‘Wood should’ve been down to 10 in 2nd half
10? straight red for 10 and 4 should have gone for 2 yellows. horrible team of spoilers,hope we don't meet them again in the trophy!
Did their number 4 even get booked. Horrible foul early in the game that the ref apparently deemed a 'free one', then elbowed one of our players when they jumped for a header. Several of their players committed foul after foul without punishment, their number 12, for example.

Piss poor ref.

Simeon's drive lead to our goal, didn't it?

Elito was anonymous first half, very good in the centre. Offered much more than Adams or Robson. Should start him there.
BeesKnees99

LeicesterBee wrote:Decent performance. A breath of fresh air from what we’ve had to endure so far this season - give DC the job now.

Also worth giving the South Terrace Ultras a mention, great atmosphere today which seems to be improving every game.

Bring on the Blades!
Viva La South Terrace Image Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
let_it_bee

Anyone who endured the match on Boxing Day, as I did, would have to say that today was a 100% improvement. There was a guy out there with 'Elito' on the back of his shirt, but no way is that the same player we saw in the opening few games of the season (he must have a twin brother or summat). I thought he played really well. And it's disappointing to read people carping on about Adams - I think he does a decent job in the role that he's out there to do, i.e. the midfield anchor role. Ok, he misplaces the odd pass, but I think he has the strength that is needed in that position. My only concern, as others have touched, is the full backs, neither of whom look particularly convincing. I certainly think Tutonda deserves another go.

I guess I must be the only one on here who didn't think it was a penalty, but my instinctive reaction was "phew, that was risky, but he got the ball", which seemed to be borne out by the ball's trajectory. So I was shocked to see him point to the spot. But fair enough, I was a long way away, so clearly the ref had a better view - though it was noticeable that the lino, with an even better view, didn't flag. The hand ball decision (or lack of) was a joke though. I simply can't fathom how he could have dismissed that one. So yes, I think we can justifiably claim that we deserved to win, not that that counts for anything of course. As for the opposition, some can't see the Wood for the trees - I'd say that defensively they're one of the strongest sides we've come up against. Completely devoid of creativity and flair, but they keep it tight and can bank on always fashioning one or two decent chances through their physical power. So it's not hard to see why they've done well, though must be pretty deadly to watch week after week.
barnetjohn

jerroll wrote:
peterstebbings wrote:Plenty of positives today

- Lovely strike from EMC. One of the best I’ve seen at The Hive
- some really nice football. First half we were pretty but not very incisive. Bit more punch in the second
- Elito looked a class act, except for one bad moment when he lost the ball second half
- Sweeney, Reynolds, and Robson all very solid
- we deserved to win, but an enjoyable game
- free booze was a nice touch from the club

Negatives
- two very sloppy moments from Akinola cost us the game
- Tutonda needs to replace EJ
- Alexander had some good moments and some bad ones
- Shag cannot play up on his own. We’ve lots of strikers but not sure any one of them is good enough
- awful referee. ‘Wood should’ve been down to 10 in 2nd half
10? straight red for 10 and 4 should have gone for 2 yellows. horrible team of spoilers,hope we don't meet them again in the trophy!
Thought it should have been a straight red for the studs up challenge but that was from their number four no? Who should then have been subsequently booked. What was the incident with the ten?
BusheyBee43

Player Ratings
Cousins 6- Didn’t have much to do
Alexander 4- Ok defensively but created very little and was wasteful in attack. Moreover surely a right sided player needs to be able to use his right foot.
Sweeney 8- Solid and very composed on the ball.
Reynolds 7- Poor distribution at times but very solid defensively
Robson 8- Made some great tackles and blocks
Johnson 4- Looked slow and created absolutely nothing going forward mainly because his attempts at crosses were terrible and tbh he is lucky he isn’t getting lower.
Adams 5- Some nice tackles but his passing is shocking most of the time.
Taylor 6- Lots of energy but I thought that even he was wasteful at times.
EMC 7- Lovely goal and I thought he made some nice runs however he did disappear in patches.
Elito 6- Looks very composed but made that mistake in the second half where he was caught dawdling.
Coulthrist 5- At times looked lively but at times he was missing in action.
Subs
Akinola 5- Lovely ball to EMC which lead to the goal but completely needless challenge to give penalty away. Furthermore it was easy to tell that he is still returning to full fitness
Harrison N/A

Currie 5- Nice football and good team selection but I think the subs should of been brought sooner. Moreover Tutonda and Fonguck should of came on, not Harrison.
jerroll

Thought it should have been a straight red for the studs up challenge but that was from their number four no? Who should then have been subsequently booked. What was the incident with the ten?
10 was booked for the studs up, 4 should have been booked after 5 mins or so and later on got away with a talking too for stoping one of our breakaways!
barnetjohn

Ah right. Thanks for clearing up. Yes both should have gone.

Thought it was a penalty for them though. Looked like Akinola went through the back of him.
letchbee94

Much better then boxing day at their place.
Cracking strike from EMC
Liked how DC comes across in his post match interview.
barnetjohn

Have to say that we didn't put pressure on the ref after the 4's foul. Other teams would have surrounded the ref and raised the stakes a bit.

Have thought for a long time that we don't really pressurise refs enough. Other teams have no qualms about trying to swing decisions their way with a bit of strategic pressure. But we don't ever seem to do it. Can't help thinking it disadvantages us.
Beeznizz

Great game! Thought we’d of gone on to win it comfortably.

The players look totally at ease with the new practices DC is looking to imprint on them!
We dominated the ball for most of that game.
Unfortunate for Akinola to lose the ball and try to redeem the situation, but was always going to be difficult to retrieve the ball from the angle he came from. Should really of let their player cross or continue his run as I think it would’ve come to nothing.
Hindsight and all that!

With more time on the training pitch, I can only see the football being played now, getting better.
Crowd numbers were up which was good. I’m sure the masses although us only getting the draw were encouraged by the exciting football we’ve seen over the last two games!

Cousins...7 Did not have much to do & was comfortable throughout!
Alexander...8 Catalyst for a lot of what we did. Composed & Defended well. Linked the play in the last third very well. Comfortable in this system.
Sweeney...9 Consistently immense in the defence right now. DS is the leader of this young pack. Passsion & determination was on show today. Barking orders to all around him, insisting everyone was on their game.
Reynolds... 8 Did well until he went off injured.
Johnson...7 Solid enough although not as effective going forward.
Robson...8 Went about his work well. Good partnership with Adams, embroiled in that midfield scrap. Very good when he slotted into the back four.
Adams...9 Great effort from Him. Got stuck in, broke up the play and did not over complicate his passing, ensuring we kept possession well. New system works in his favour!
Taylor...6 Not his best game! You can’t question his running in a game, but he was lost in the physical midfield battle. Harried and hustled in possession made it uncomfortable for him.
Mason-Clarke...8 Hold me hands up as I said he weren’t a winger! Proved me wrong and was very good today. Took the game to their defence and what a tremendous strike for the goal. Rough diamond, but if he continues to do a wingers work, he can be a very important player for us!
Elito...8 Put in a very good display and did some really nice bits of skill to give himself a yard and dictate play. Did the ugly side of the game too, tracking back and putting decisive tackles! Remember Still saying that the player was on fire in training. This is being transferred onto the match days now!
Shaq...7 Energetic, busy performance keeping the Wood defence busy. Unlucky with some of the decisions the ref made after being kicked & wrestled by the Wood’s central defenders!