Goalkeeping situation

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Norfolkbee

Goalkeeping situation

Would be nice to know what the club plans to do for next Monday. Loan? Rookie? Appeal?
ninestein

Re: Goalkeeping situation

I vote for Tank
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
Tuesds

Norfolkbee wrote:Would be nice to know what the club plans to do for next Monday. Loan? Rookie? Appeal?
You can rule out appeal as an option. Clearly there are no grounds to do so (it was a deliberate foul and it stopped a goalscoring opportunity, because the ref gave a pen).

I suspect we're looking for a loan, but are unlikely to announce that publicly until we are successful in securing one (if we fail to get one in, it possibly wouldn't be great for the confidence of the man we'll be relying on, Matrevics, if we've spent all week telling the world we are doing all we can to make sure he doesn't play!
X-Bumble

I wonder if we'll get that lad back from Man City.
Bee_Forever

I have heard tell of an exciting young keeper who was man of the match on Tuesday, including a spectacular finger tip save.

He was then subbed on on Saturday after another goalie foolishly got himself sent off. Despite shipping 4, including 2 penalties he acquitted himself well and without him the score would have resembled something much much worse.

Step forward..... Rihards Matrevics.

No point in having a sub keeper if we don't trust him to play.

The club should be focussing on the Charlee Adams sized hole in our midfield not denting the confidence of a young professional pushing for a starting place.
becbee

For me, the major consideration needs to be Matrevics' temperament. He looked quite calm on Saturday - but then, it's surely far easier to come on in front of 700 fans, the majority of whom appeared to be Barnet fans, than it will be to play in front of a full house at The Hive, TV cameras, half the match with a full away stand immediately behind him who will be looking to exploit his nerves, etc.
From what I saw on Saturday, his actual goalkeeping ability doesn't seem to be the issue, for me it's down to how he'd cope with the experience. Could he rise to the occasion or could he be a bundle of nerves?
ninestein

If the club is going to back him, they have a full week (and weekend) to work with him and get him mentally ready.
In addition, the onus is also on the players in front of him to encourage him through the game. The more senior pros like Reynolds, Sweeney and Johnson have a role to play there. And when he plucks that first cross out of the sky, he will have 4,000 Barnet fans lifting him and he will feel like a million quid.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
GenkiDev

We have nothing to lose on Monday, the sort of situation which is perfect for Mat. To be a hero . Its the FA cup magic afterall.
hoppy

GenkiDev wrote:We have nothing to lose on Monday, the sort of situation which is perfect for Mat. To be a hero . Its the FA cup magic afterall.
Takes me back to the QPR replay back in the 70s. Our regular keeper (Jack McClelland if memory serves me right) was not fit for the replay at Underhill and Wilf Woodend was drafted in. He played in front of nearly 11,000 spectators, but we did lose the game 3 0.
aclassman

I've heard through the grapevines that Gary summo Phillips is coming out of retirement for just this one game
hoppy

aclassman wrote:I've heard through the grapevines that Gary summo Phillips is coming out of retirement for just this one game
I said in an earlier post Sumo should be guest of honour at this match. A legend with us and he played a large number of games for Brentford.
shankbee01

His performance against Man City in the first leg (which I seem to remember was on his birthday?) was exceptional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DerekRocholl

If there is a quality keeper available on loan of for a short contract TK must surely try to bring him in for the cup game. It the sign8ng was instrumental in helping us to win the game the pay back would more than justify it.
becbee

Hiveoccupier wrote:If there is a quality keeper available on loan of for a short contract TK must surely try to bring him in for the cup game. It the sign8ng was instrumental in helping us to win the game the pay back would more than justify it.
Yes but finding a quality keeper who isn't cup tied sounds like a tall order. There are going to be decent keepers out there who could do a job for us but they will presumably not have recent first team experience. We might as well stick with our own rookie keeper as play someone else's rookie keeper, so that only really leaves an experienced but out of favour keeper - and even then we could ask why he's out of favour?
Presumably we've been putting out feelers but it can't be an easy decision.
MCB

Find a 2nd or 3rd choice Prem/Champ GK for an emergency loan and give Ricards a few league games instead.