Maidenhead (Hive) The Maid in Waiting Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
becbee

Re: Maidenhead (Hive) The Maid in Waiting Match Thread

rudebwoyben wrote:
becbee wrote:Neither Adams nor anybody else had a shocker yesterday, it was a hardworking team performance from 12 fully committed players ( the last 2 subs weren't on long enough to comment upon).
Thought Loic Hernandez did very well. Understandably he initially looked nervous but soon settled, he should be pleased with his debut performance. Really good to see Wes Fonguck back. Santos was my MotM, he makes such a difference, especially against such physical opposition.
Another very poor referee. Maidenhead's tactics required strong control, the ref had no control and after the goal they just got worse. The foul on Alexander in the second half was a potential leg breaker yet their player wasn't even booked.
Let's just hope the team came through the match unscathed, we really look to be down to the bare bones.
I’m pretty sure Whitehall did get yellow-carded for that shocker but it should have been red.
I too was impressed Loic on his debut.
Whitehall was booked but my memory suggests that that was for a later incident.
barnet34

When we were promoted last time we had 3 outstanding players, Yiadom, Akinde, and Luisma. Imo Jack Taylor, Santos, and Loach are that also. Could be a good sign.
pokal02

Assume that Loic was our 6th choice LB behind EJ, Tutonda, Box, H.Taylor and Sparkes - and that's putting him ahead of Rowan! He didn't look out of place at all.

We're going to have to get used to these tight type of matches without an Akinde to bully the defensive-minded or poorer sides. Just hope we can continue coming out on top in most of them.
#Beebot

hoppy wrote:
becbee wrote:Neither Adams nor anybody else had a shocker yesterday, it was a hardworking team performance from 12 fully committed players ( the last 2 subs weren't on long enough to comment upon).
Thought Loic Hernandez did very well. Understandably he initially looked nervous but soon settled, he should be pleased with his debut performance. Really good to see Wes Fonguck back. Santos was my MotM, he makes such a difference, especially against such physical opposition.
Another very poor referee. Maidenhead's tactics required strong control, the ref had no control and after the goal they just got worse. The foul on Alexander in the second half was a potential leg breaker yet their player wasn't even booked.
Let's just hope the team came through the match unscathed, we really look to be down to the bare bones.
Agree with virtually all of that. Every player put in a really good shift.
I was surprised that Alan Devonshire has put together such a physical team, and, for a team in 4th spot in the league, his team played in such a negative way.
There was only one team showing skilful football and that was the team which won.
Maidenhead deserved nothing from the game and got nothing. They were very fortunate that the match referee was one of the most lenient referees I have seen for a long time.
Is this based off the type of footballer Devonshire was 40 years ago? As a manager his teams have always been direct and physical.

Maidenhead's strategy is to keep it tight at the back and nick a goal or two on the break. In fairness it was working for them until their CB moved out of Adams's way for the goal.
hoppy

#Beebot wrote:
hoppy wrote:
Agree with virtually all of that. Every player put in a really good shift.
I was surprised that Alan Devonshire has put together such a physical team, and, for a team in 4th spot in the league, his team played in such a negative way.
There was only one team showing skilful football and that was the team which won.
Maidenhead deserved nothing from the game and got nothing. They were very fortunate that the match referee was one of the most lenient referees I have seen for a long time.
Is this based off the type of footballer Devonshire was 40 years ago? As a manager his teams have always been direct and physical.

Maidenhead's strategy is to keep it tight at the back and nick a goal or two on the break. In fairness it was working for them until their CB moved out of Adams's way for the goal.
Yes, I guess it was. Dev was a great player for West Ham and very popular with not just Hammers fans but all fans of good football.
Our DC was, as we know, a great creative footballer and he is attempting to get Barnet to play in a similar way.
I'm just not a fan of the physical,bully-boy approach to football.
letchbee94

Pleasing to get the win and with a clean sheet, nice that 1 of our forwards got the goal as well.
For me Santos was man of the match, with him in defence and Loach in goal you feel like we are guaranteed a point before we start each game.
Hernandez looks bright hope for the future (and present).
Tuesds

#Beebot wrote: Maidenhead's strategy is to keep it tight at the back and nick a goal or two on the break. In fairness it was working for them until their CB moved out of Adams's way for the goal.
You could also argue that Barnet’s strategy of passing the opposition to death until gaps start to open up was the one that ultimately worked.

Maybe the centre half failed to close him down, but the reason Adams had space to advance into is because he took a chance with a risky/inspired dummy and Taylor (I think) was then good enough to find him with a first-time pass.
#Beebot

Tuesds wrote:
#Beebot wrote: Maidenhead's strategy is to keep it tight at the back and nick a goal or two on the break. In fairness it was working for them until their CB moved out of Adams's way for the goal.
You could also argue that Barnet’s strategy of passing the opposition to death until gaps start to open up was the one that ultimately worked.

Maybe the centre half failed to close him down, but the reason Adams had space to advance into is because he took a chance with a risky/inspired dummy and Taylor (I think) was then good enough to find him with a first-time pass.
I think we still have a lot of work to do on our attacking strategy but our back line has improved so much that we can nick wins even with slow possession football in the opposition half.
Tuesds

#Beebot wrote:
Tuesds wrote:

I think we still have a lot of work to do on our attacking strategy but our back line has improved so much that we can nick wins even with slow possession football in the opposition half.
Couldn’t agree more that we have a lot of work to do in attack; even yesterday, when I thought we played well overall, I was concerned that we didn’t create a lot of clear-cut chances. Especially in proportion to the amount of possession we had.

However, I do think that we were clearly the better team on the day and that the players involved in the goal deserve some credit!
ninestein

Devonshire sets his teams up to be physical and direct. Remember Braintree away where he literally told his right back to take Muggleton out just so it took away the long throw threat? Yep, that's a Devonshire side alright... and to think a few years ago there were people on this board saying we should take a punt on someone like him.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
#Beebot

ninestein wrote:Devonshire sets his teams up to be physical and direct. Remember Braintree away where he literally told his right back to take Muggleton out just so it took away the long throw threat? Yep, that's a Devonshire side alright... and to think a few years ago there were people on this board saying we should take a punt on someone like him.
Regardless of the type of football his teams play, nobody can doubt he is a serial overachiever. Braintree and Maidenhead are NL South clubs really but no Devonshire team has come close to relegation at this level.

We certainly could have done with someone like Devonshire in 2017-18.
becbee

We won yesterday so no sour grapes. I would not want to support a club whose tactics were like Maidenhead's yesterday.
LoudmouthBFC

Barnet F.C. 1 v Maidenhead United F.C. 0 | Cheers Keeps | GAMEDAY! Vlog! (14/09/19)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAzkxaiLzLk
LoudmouthBFC

Barnet F.C. 1 v Maidenhead United F.C. 0 | Cheers Keeps | GAMEDAY! Vlog! (14/09/19)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAzkxaiLzLk
amberforever

Our attacking options really consisted of three guys running for all their worth at the defence, tangling with their players, losing their footing, with no particular plan. Wasn’t a brilliant watch. Glad we scrapped the points though. Let’s hope that plan continues to work out.