Striker signing anxiety

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
BeesKnees99

Re: Striker signing anxiety

“Lazy” seems to be the consensus on Facebook.

But DC rates his work ethic?

Won’t care if he bags a few!
becbee

beesknees99 wrote:“Lazy” seems to be the consensus on Facebook.

But DC rates his work ethic?

Won’t care if he bags a few!
The consensus from whom?
What happened when he had a brief uninspiring loan spell with us 5 years ago is irrelevant now. As is the fact that he was NLS Player of the Season for 2017/18. He's our number 9 now, let's judge him on what he does for us on the pitch.
BeeDeceived

#Beebot wrote:I think that given how picky DC has been for a while now
My what an astonishingly poor take. Every interview would suggest he’s been far from picky and he’s said he has come close on several occasions. Not sure where you’ve plucked this one from.
Roy57

He hasn't even kicked a ball for us yet and still moans about his signing. Unbelievable.
God knows what posts will be if the poor sod doesn't get at least two goals tomorrow against Aldershot. I am more than satisfied with signing. He is only 23. He knows this league. He def knows we're the back of the net is. Please let's give him time to settle in. He will need at least a month before stones start raining down on him. And DC. From most supporters welcome Alfie to Barnet FC. COYB
#Beebot

BeeDeceived wrote:
My what an astonishingly poor take. Every interview would suggest he’s been far from picky and he’s said he has come close on several occasions. Not sure where you’ve plucked this one from.
TK said Currie has been looking for a needle in a haystack and given that it's taken him 9 months it's a pretty safe conclusion to come to.
BeeDeceived

#Beebot wrote:
BeeDeceived wrote:
TK said Currie has been looking for a needle in a haystack and given that it's taken him 9 months it's a pretty safe conclusion to come to.
All he wanted was a big striker - less a needle, more a javelin in a haystack. He came close a few times and finally got one over the line.
hoofer2

The service into the box has been very good this season. If Pavey can get on the end of the passed and score that's fine by me. We don't necessarily need Akinde as our play is more fluid compared to Allen's style.

Give him a chance. He was very young when he joined us on loan
hoofer2

The service into the box has been very good this season. If Pavey can get on the end of the passed and score that's fine by me. We don't necessarily need Akinde as our play is more fluid compared to Allen's style.

Give him a chance. He was very young when he joined us on loan
Tuesds

I wonder if Coulthirst’s extended lay-off sharpened our pencil when it came to meeting Dover’s asking price and getting this deal done.
becbee

Writing a player off on the strength of 3 appearances when they were a teenager 5 years previous is ridiculous. What about Jack Stacey, he was similarly awful when we had him on loan yet now he's a Premier League player with Bournemouth. Even John Akinde blew hot and cold until he joined Alfreton.
Welcome Alfie.
Bee_Forever

#Beebot wrote:
Ajtheone04 wrote:is this also the end for barham?
It was over for Barham when DC came in to be honest. He's never rated him.
This could be exactly what Barham needs. He looked really good when playing off a much worse target man striker last season and realistically he is now lined up for when Currie inevitably brings off EMC on 60 minutes

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
barnetjohn

Alfie peobably wasn't top of my list, but it's impetsnt we get behind him and give him a chance.

His goalscoring record is not bad recently and he looks like the type of player who can hold the ball up and be a bit more of a target man which os a definite plus.I don't think we can read too much into his spell with us as a teenager five years ago. You only have to look at someone like Jamal Lowe to see how different players can be five years later: a lot can change over five years especially when you are talking about the early years of someone's career.
Tuesds

b4life wrote:Suggestion : We close off this thread and immediately make no mention of getting a new striker until at least January? It's one way to guarantee that we then sign a striker more or less immediately we all stop talking about it :laugh:

I am sure we can find something else to moan about.
I've seen a few people giving credit (or blame in one or two cases) to Currie or Kleanthous for Pavey's signing. But surely most of the credit should go to b4life? This thread was growing pretty much daily for over two months until b4life suggested that the only way to precipitate the signing is to stop speculating about it here.

The rest of us heeded his wise counsel... and within a matter of days our new target man had signed on the dotted line!
hoofer2

Yippee !!! - He can actually head the ball !!! That already adds a quality that none of our existing strikers excel in. Make some of the set pieces count - Solihull Moors were very strong at this. It's ridiculous how some players do all they can not to head the ball when in 18 yard box.

Looks like he will be solid on the ball too and not pushed off easily around the 18 yard box. If he can hold ball up half as well
as Gash, will also bring in goal scoring centre midfielders - Jack Taylor, Wes Fonguck

Offers something different and will be interested to see how he plays. There is only one John Akinde,
and unfair to expect player to be exact replica.
b4life

Tuesds wrote:
b4life wrote:Suggestion : We close off this thread and immediately make no mention of getting a new striker until at least January? It's one way to guarantee that we then sign a striker more or less immediately we all stop talking about it :laugh:

I am sure we can find something else to moan about.
I've seen a few people giving credit (or blame in one or two cases) to Currie or Kleanthous for Pavey's signing. But surely most of the credit should go to b4life? This thread was growing pretty much daily for over two months until b4life suggested that the only way to precipitate the signing is to stop speculating about it here.

The rest of us heeded his wise counsel... and within a matter of days our new target man had signed on the dotted line!
:laugh: thanks Tuesds
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926