Where have the crowds gone

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Norfolkbee

Re: Where have the crowds gone

PF was always hamstrung by his England C role, which meant he could go after the top Conference players without leaving himself and the club open to all sorts of accusations.
barnet34

edgeog wrote:As the clubs budget is probably worked out according to the amount of home fans, how about a deal for away fans. Say for instance Woking, where we charge their fans £15 and agree that they charge us the same. It proved recently when Maidenhead fans boycotted coming to the Hive because they were being charged £22 so less than normal came, but if it was £15 many more might have been there. It is expensive doing an away day game so every little would help. Also why not try a Friday night game maybe against one of the nearer clubs like Woking, Bromley, Sutton or Ebbsfleet, because to them it would only be like a Tuesday night game, but we wouldn't be clashing with any of the big clubs either playing in London, or being on TV. So many very valid points have been brought up in this thread(not all negative and some good solutions) that a direct dialogue with TK to see and hear his views would be useful, but who would be the people to speak with, as there doesn't seem to be a proper body to represent the fans.
Have already tried Friday nights didn't make any difference.
amberforever

StephenM wrote:
amberforever wrote:I was gob smacked last season after a brilliant packed out attendance for the Brentford match. I really couldn’t believe the following weeks attendance which was back down at its usual low figure. Honestly I was gobsmacked to see the fall back to the usual crowd size.
It wasn’t as if we played poorly or got knocked out by the false Bees, quite the opposite. Really puzzled about that.
This isn't unique to Barnet, you can guarantee that every non league club who has a big occasion goes back to the regulars the following week. It's annoying but it's a fact.
True, but I thought it might just encourage maybe a 100 extra to follow up the interest after a great performance?
Ajtheone04

amberforever wrote:
StephenM wrote:
amberforever wrote:I was gob smacked last season after a brilliant packed out attendance for the Brentford match. I really couldn’t believe the following weeks attendance which was back down at its usual low figure. Honestly I was gobsmacked to see the fall back to the usual crowd size.
It wasn’t as if we played poorly or got knocked out by the false Bees, quite the opposite. Really puzzled about that.
This isn't unique to Barnet, you can guarantee that every non league club who has a big occasion goes back to the regulars the following week. It's annoying but it's a fact.
True, but I thought it might just encourage maybe a 100 extra to follow up the interest after a great performance?
The lack of supporters after the Brentford game is made even worse by the fact that they were giving out free tickets for 2 of the next 6 or 8 home games. Maybe lots of people used them for orient because there were 2500 of us then if my memory serves me correctly
To bee or not to bee

I put the fall in the crowds wholly down to the shambolic relegation season. Darren Currie has made a big impact but we’ve still gone backwards in the last five years. Although he loves Barnet FC I blame TK. He took his eye off the ball with the ridiculous ill conceived Pecking Order project. £600,000 squandered and what is there to show for it. A brick wall in the bar. :spite: If he’d spent half that on the team we might not have been relegated. It makes my blood boil.

As for the future the only way to increase the crowds is by attracting the locals. The old Barnet fan base is dwindling and isn’t being replaced. I don’t know how you do that so TK needs to get some marketing assistance.
Tuesds

To bee or not to bee wrote: Although he loves Barnet FC I blame TK. He took his eye off the ball with the ridiculous ill conceived Pecking Order project. £600,000 squandered and what is there to show for it. A brick wall in the bar. :spite: If he’d spent half that on the team we might not have been relegated. It makes my blood boil.
Clearly Pecking Order was a failure, but if it makes you feel any better, it surely won’t have been the case that the chairman had £600k burning a hole in his pocket and chose between spending it on players and spending it on buttermilk battered chicken.

The money invested in Pecking Order once would have been intended to bring in more money overall on an ongoing basis. In other words, to enable us to have a bigger annual playing budget and hence a better team. No, it didn’t work in the case of Pecking Order, but it has with other facilities at The Hive.

Also, we spent loads on the team for the relegation season. We’d been on a huge splurge in the January before and still had most of those players. morecambe manager Jim Bentley even moaned that he was having to compete with moneybags clubs like Barnet, giving us as the one specific example who weren’t competing on a level playing field because of all the money we spent!

Then in the pre-season brought in big signings who were a clear step up in quality from those made in earlier pre-seasons,like Coulthirst, Brindley and of course Tarpey. There were a lot of reasons why we got relegated, and a lot of mistakes were made. I don’t think general scrimping on the squad was one of them.
john dockers shorts

You can make a list as long as your arm about reasons for not attending.

Bottom line is the product has been fairly crap for sometime and one night out v Brentford won't suddenly see them flocking in.

Get a winning team together and build consistency and momentum. Winning the league and finishing 17th is not what we need to build back up the fan base.

We need to have a number of successful seasons rather than one season wonders.

Start building that connection with fans etc

This takes time, dropping prices as merely a short term fix imo.

I feel like we are preaching to the converted on here.
#Beebot

Tuesds wrote:
To bee or not to bee wrote: Although he loves Barnet FC I blame TK. He took his eye off the ball with the ridiculous ill conceived Pecking Order project. £600,000 squandered and what is there to show for it. A brick wall in the bar. :spite: If he’d spent half that on the team we might not have been relegated. It makes my blood boil.
Clearly Pecking Order was a failure, but if it makes you feel any better, it surely won’t have been the case that the chairman had £600k burning a hole in his pocket and chose between spending it on players and spending it on buttermilk battered chicken.

The money invested in Pecking Order once would have been intended to bring in more money overall on an ongoing basis. In other words, to enable us to have a bigger annual playing budget and hence a better team. No, it didn’t work in the case of Pecking Order, but it has with other facilities at The Hive.

Also, we spent loads on the team for the relegation season. We’d been on a huge splurge in the January before and still had most of those players. morecambe manager Jim Bentley even moaned that he was having to compete with moneybags clubs like Barnet, giving us as the one specific example who weren’t competing on a level playing field because of all the money we spent!

Then in the pre-season brought in big signings who were a clear step up in quality from those made in earlier pre-seasons,like Coulthirst, Brindley and of course Tarpey. There were a lot of reasons why we got relegated, and a lot of mistakes were made. I don’t think general scrimping on the squad was one of them.
TK claimed we had a top half budget that season. The big problem was injuries, failing to get the Fuad Sule deal over the line in August (and why did we seem to prioritise Malakai Mars?), the awful appointment of McGhee and holding onto him for far too long, the backroom mess with Thorne and later McGhee, refusing to appoint Allen at Christmas when he sensibly told TK that we were in a relegation battle but TK genuinely still thought we could make the playoffs, appointing Westley, Westley's shocking January transfer business (Nicholson etc) - the list goes on.
becbee

All that is in the past and we can't do anything to change the past. Much as we'd like to be able to!
We now have a good young manager who has got the players playing together as a team. Rome wasn't built in a day but hopefully fans who come now will see enough to want to come back. Let's look forward, not back.
John_c

I'm a little disappointed that Ricardo hasn't popped up on this thread yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

Proud Winner of the Sponsor Marvin Armstrong Shirt Raffle 2023/24

Worlds best Prediction League player
becbee

John_c wrote:I'm a little disappointed that Ricardo hasn't popped up on this thread yet. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't tempt fate.
jerroll

#Beebot wrote:
Tuesds wrote:

TK claimed we had a top half budget that season. The big problem was injuries, failing to get the Fuad Sule deal over the line in August (and why did we seem to prioritise Malakai Mars?), the awful appointment of McGhee and holding onto him for far too long, the backroom mess with Thorne and later McGhee, refusing to appoint Allen at Christmas when he sensibly told TK that we were in a relegation battle but TK genuinely still thought we could make the playoffs, appointing Westley, Westley's shocking January transfer business (Nicholson etc) - the list goes on.
Talking of Malakai Mars he came on as a sub for Cockfosters at Hadley on Wednesday ! didn't do much but scored his penalty in the shootout.
Norfolkbee

#Beebot wrote:
Tuesds wrote:

Always a mystery as to why so much fruitless effort went into trying to sign Sule that summer and when he did arrive after Chrjstmas he was never played when we were severely weak in that position.
Mem Beespod

Very simple. Our main target was Marcus Bean. He was ready to sign and for whatever reason TK decided not to ratify it at the last minute so there was a mad rush to get Sule who was the alternative. The transfer was agreed but not in time for him to play, then we changed managers who decided he wasn’t what he wanted.
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938
ricardobee

"I'm a little disappointed . . . ."

Ah, J_c, "Where have the crowds gone".
Nearly as boring as "what happened?"
This subject done to death, move on.