Next signing

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Ajtheone04

Next signing

Now that we've god Jesu... Uh I mean Alfie Pavey doesn't necessarily mean we're done for transfers. The squad is certainly very good but there's always room for improvement
If I was Currie my next signing would be a proper back up RB as that's the only position we don't have a natural cover in. (I think Harry Taylor should stay in Midfield to help his development)
So I have 2 "questions"
Which position (if any) would you sign a player in next and who?
At RB I was thinking a Sam cox but I think he's only in the Guyana squad for his leadership
BeesKnees99

Re: Next signing

Alexander has never won me over at RB, it’s a shame we burned our bridges with Richard Brindley, really rated him at this level.

I’d play Mauro over Cheye, but do wonder where DC will play him when he’s back.

I think our squad is otherwise pretty balanced, and there’s a togetherness about them.

We have physicality with Dunne, Sweeney, Pavey, Santos etc, and we have trickier players like EMC, Akinola, J Taylor...

It’ll feel like a massive underachievement if we don’t even get play offs.
Beeznizz

I’d like to see us get an out & out left winger. Tricky and with pace! A player to complement what we have on the opposite side.
Akinola has done very well there up to now to be fair, but it’s not his natural position!

At the end of last season, I would’ve said we definitely need a RB, but then said( as mentioned in previous posts ), I’d give Alexander until January to prove his worth and see if he could live up to all talk about him. Good up and down fullback, England C international etc. Plus the fact that I’d heard of issues with his parents health to contend with throughout that campaign.
So I gave him the benefit of the doubt.
In my opinion, Cheye has started the season very well & is in good form. Proving to me that he maybe playing without distraction and is growing in confidence. Long may that continue!
Patel89

I agree the 4 games I have been to Cheye and Reynolds have impressed me and I was one being really critical of both last year I would Like Cheye to continue to play as there is something there
b4life

Cheye playing well? Whenever I have seen him this season he is frequently out of position, dives in far too quickly and his distribution has been appalling. He often looks better going forward! He's average National League at the very most. I do agree though that Reynolds has improved, looks pretty decent most of the time.
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926
Bee_Forever

Cheye is fine and if Currie is happy playing Sparkes at full back when Hernandez is available surely the same applies to Mauro

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
ninestein

I'm not sure we need to make any more signings at present. The players have performed well enough on the whole, especially considering some have been putting in a shift in different positions.

If DC's last interview is anything to go by, there are players back in training who could feature in the coming weeks. Sweeney, Mauro, Elliott and Boucaud are all close to returning. Tutonda a couple of weeks away too. One assumes Shaq and Dunne are the longer term absentees. So long as the versatile players like Mauro and Harry stay fit, we can adapt to cope with most situations. Unless there is a glaring weakness which becomes obvious over the next couple of months, I would let this squad settle and develop as it is.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
jamesharpin1

I have to agree with Ninestein on this one. I think we should keep working with the squad we have. Cheye is a typical National League right back, no better, no worse. We have so many versatile players that if we were in trouble in a position, someone else could do the job. Continuity is something that doesn’t happen very often at Barnet, we have an opportunity to work with the same players under the same manager for a period of time in which we can improve more and more. Not many teams have the relationship between players that we have and we should make use of it while we can.
Bee_Forever

Current squad

Gk - Loach, Matrevics - fine

LB- Johnson (i) sparkes, Tutonda (i), hernandez, box (l), Vilhete(i) - overstuffed. Let Sparkes and possibly Tutonda go and leave Hernandez and box to battle it out as backup

RB - Alexander, Vilhete (i) - fine

CB - Reynolds, Santos, Sweeney (i) H. Taylor (i)- just about ok although Santos powder knees have us walking a constant injury tightrope

CM - Dunne (i) Boucaud (i) Taylor h (i), elito (i) J. Taylor, Adams - short here with Jack not as effective deeper but hopefully his brothers return will fix this

AM - J. Taylor, Mason Clarke, Fonguck elito (i) - excellent cover

Wingers - vilhete, sparkes, elito, akinola, Walker, vasilou, mason-clarke - overstuffed again. Need Sparkes and one of walker and Akinola to move out

Strikers - Pavey, Coulthirst (i), walker, akinola Barham, Bettamer (f) - still short here. Not convinced by Walker and Akinola through the middle and Currie clearly feels the same about barham.

So yes, a few gaps but also some excesses

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
becbee

We get so many injuries as it is that I cannot see any logic in weakening the squad by suggesting getting rid of potential first team players. Sparkes, Tutonda, Walker and Akinola are necessary to our squad. Akinola is even an ever present to date this season and has been playing fine.

Hernandez had a good debut, Box looked to have potential when he appeared last season, but both are young and still learning, I'd not want us to be too reliant on either of them yet.

I like Barham but clearly DC doesn't. Bettamer wasn't even named in the squad when we were down to the bare bones. Charlie Rowan can't get in the team but presumably we're stuck with him now until 1st January.
pletch99

Beeznizz wrote:Akinola has done very well there up to now to be fair, but it’s not his natural position!
I'd like to know what his natural position is then. I believe he was used very successfully on the left wing by Braintree before he joined us - scoring a fair number goals. I agree that it is an area where we could upgrade - what we want is a combination of Akinola and Sparkes - i.e. someone who is quick, can beat a man and has decent cross on them. Not easy to find at this level though.
pletch99

On Alexander, I agree he's improved this season, but in my view that only makes the performances adequate rather than outstanding. Would definitely like him to have real competition.

I'm not sure Reynolds has improved - most of the time he was OK last season too - the problem is that he has appalling lapses of concentration. So far this season he has got away with it - notably when his terrible back header put Scott Rendell clear on our goal in injury time at Eastleigh. Fortunately, Rendell lifted it well over the bar and we went up the other end and scored. Still an awful mistake though. Would prefer somebody else to be captain as well.....
Beeznizz

pletch99 wrote:
Beeznizz wrote:Akinola has done very well there up to now to be fair, but it’s not his natural position!
I'd like to know what his natural position is then. I believe he was used very successfully on the left wing by Braintree before he joined us - scoring a fair number goals. I agree that it is an area where we could upgrade - what we want is a combination of Akinola and Sparkes - i.e. someone who is quick, can beat a man and has decent cross on them. Not easy to find at this level though.
I believe he was used very successfully on the left wing by Braintree before he joined us-

My understanding was that he was a no.10 and played just behind the main striker. Not certain, but think it was Midson. He did score a fair amount of goals all across the final third which in turn got him recognition and a few clubs interested.
I agree with the combination of player theory.
northantsbee

I think our next signing should be another Physio looking at the size of the injury list
Going Indieground 7pm Tuesday, https://www.madwaspradio.com/
barnet_pls

Think Adams, Reynolds and Alexander are our weakest regulars.