Where have the crowds gone

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
BeesKnees99

Re: Where have the crowds gone

hoofer2 wrote:
aclassman wrote:I was a season ticket holder for many years and even after we moved to the Hive I continued till 2 year ago.
To me its the lack of atmosphere that is driving supporters away and not necessarily the ticket price or the football being played as that has improved a lot under DC.
Some fans moan about all these extra fans that turn up for the big games like Sheffield away and Brentford at home.
Well yes those fans do pick and choose games but these games are the ones with an atmosphere.
To get the crowds back, then TK needs somehow to create an atmosphere but I don't know how that's possible to do.
Maybe a band behind the goal like the FA have at every game.
We miss the drummer and the old east terrace and that's killed the crowd off more than the football or moving to edgeware has
NB The drummer couldn't drum, though would take the Aldershot drummer.
The atmosphere at the HIve has been one of inflated expectation with inevitable disappointment. Perhaps this year it's started with inevitable disappointment (primary focus on not having a number '9')
whereas Currie is now bringing some inflated expectation L)

We'll never recreate the "Barry Fry era" again as football has changed, and that was over 25 years ago !!!!
And if we analyse our fanbase, I bet you the recruitment of new fans ground to a halt when we at Underhill and we are gradually losing the regular core week on week.

It's a hard sell these days for me to persuade my boys to come to watch Barnet. The rhetoric of the Premier League and Champions League inferring other football is less exciting
and the playground glory hunters play a big part of this. It's the younger generations that have to bee attracted to watch Barnet as they are the future.

Success on the pitch with community incentives is the only way to fill the gap from the sadly departing regulars.

I have wondered for a couple of seasons now if playing some games on Sundays may attract a bigger crowd given the Jewish community living in the area.
The atmosphere at the Palace PSF was great because of their attendance.
Sorry, which drummer couldn’t drum?
#Beebot

To bee or not to bee wrote:
#Beebot wrote:
Tuesds wrote:
To bee or not to bee wrote: Although he loves Barnet FC I blame TK. He took his eye off the ball with the ridiculous ill conceived Pecking Order project. £600,000 squandered and what is there to show for it. A brick wall in the bar. :spite: If he’d spent half that on the team we might not have been relegated. It makes my blood boil.
Clearly Pecking Order was a failure, but if it makes you feel any better, it surely won’t have been the case that the chairman had £600k burning a hole in his pocket and chose between spending it on players and spending it on buttermilk battered chicken.

The money invested in Pecking Order once would have been intended to bring in more money overall on an ongoing basis. In other words, to enable us to have a bigger annual playing budget and hence a better team. No, it didn’t work in the case of Pecking Order, but it has with other facilities at The Hive.

Also, we spent loads on the team for the relegation season. We’d been on a huge splurge in the January before and still had most of those players. morecambe manager Jim Bentley even moaned that he was having to compete with moneybags clubs like Barnet, giving us as the one specific example who weren’t competing on a level playing field because of all the money we spent!

Then in the pre-season brought in big signings who were a clear step up in quality from those made in earlier pre-seasons,like Coulthirst, Brindley and of course Tarpey. There were a lot of reasons why we got relegated, and a lot of mistakes were made. I don’t think general scrimping on the squad was one of them.
TK claimed we had a top half budget that season. The big problem was injuries, failing to get the Fuad Sule deal over the line in August (and why did we seem to prioritise Malakai Mars?), the awful appointment of McGhee and holding onto him for far too long, the backroom mess with Thorne and later McGhee, refusing to appoint Allen at Christmas when he sensibly told TK that we were in a relegation battle but TK genuinely still thought we could make the playoffs, appointing Westley, Westley's shocking January transfer business (Nicholson etc) - the list goes on.
Yes as I said a shambles. Because TK took his eye off the ball with the Pecking Order debacle so the correct footballing decision ( sack Rossi and get in Martin Allen)wasn’t taken. Lost his focus and made bad decisions. That’s why we are where we are and is why the crowds have fallen. But agreed let’s focus on the future. Ninesteins suggestion of free tickets for guests for full members is a good one.
He literally took the time to approach Allen and then rejected him for reasons that had nothing to do with Pecking Order.
ninestein

beesknees99 wrote:
hoofer2 wrote:
aclassman wrote:I was a season ticket holder for many years and even after we moved to the Hive I continued till 2 year ago.
To me its the lack of atmosphere that is driving supporters away and not necessarily the ticket price or the football being played as that has improved a lot under DC.
Some fans moan about all these extra fans that turn up for the big games like Sheffield away and Brentford at home.
Well yes those fans do pick and choose games but these games are the ones with an atmosphere.
To get the crowds back, then TK needs somehow to create an atmosphere but I don't know how that's possible to do.
Maybe a band behind the goal like the FA have at every game.
We miss the drummer and the old east terrace and that's killed the crowd off more than the football or moving to edgeware has
NB The drummer couldn't drum, though would take the Aldershot drummer.
The atmosphere at the HIve has been one of inflated expectation with inevitable disappointment. Perhaps this year it's started with inevitable disappointment (primary focus on not having a number '9')
whereas Currie is now bringing some inflated expectation L)

We'll never recreate the "Barry Fry era" again as football has changed, and that was over 25 years ago !!!!
And if we analyse our fanbase, I bet you the recruitment of new fans ground to a halt when we at Underhill and we are gradually losing the regular core week on week.

It's a hard sell these days for me to persuade my boys to come to watch Barnet. The rhetoric of the Premier League and Champions League inferring other football is less exciting
and the playground glory hunters play a big part of this. It's the younger generations that have to bee attracted to watch Barnet as they are the future.

Success on the pitch with community incentives is the only way to fill the gap from the sadly departing regulars.

I have wondered for a couple of seasons now if playing some games on Sundays may attract a bigger crowd given the Jewish community living in the area.
The atmosphere at the Palace PSF was great because of their attendance.
Sorry, which drummer couldn’t drum?
One assumes the one we let go on a free transfer to Eastleigh? :D
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
finchleyman

I am pleased to announce that the food seems to have improved. I enjoyed a really good bacon roll on Saturday (still not on par with the old crispy cheese rolls!!) and the coffee was excellent. However, to the eleven items first mentioned we can now add the lack of a shuttle bus.

I can only see the crowds lessening.
StephenM

finchleyman wrote:I am pleased to announce that the food seems to have improved. I enjoyed a really good bacon roll on Saturday (still not on par with the old crispy cheese rolls!!) and the coffee was excellent. However, to the eleven items first mentioned we can now add the lack of a shuttle bus.

By about 5.
rudebwoyben

finchleyman wrote:I am pleased to announce that the food seems to have improved. I enjoyed a really good bacon roll on Saturday (still not on par with the old crispy cheese rolls!!) and the coffee was excellent. However, to the eleven items first mentioned we can now add the lack of a shuttle bus.

The shuttle bus that one person used on Tuesday and an average of 10 people have been using for Saturday matches?
jerroll

rudebwoyben wrote:

The shuttle bus that one person used on Tuesday and an average of 10 people have been using for Saturday matches?
Didn't run midweeks - was a Saturday only service!
alexbach

If I might suggest another factor,and as I lived or worked in Burnt Oak over twenty years.The Hive is roughly equidistant between QPR and Watford So a high standard of football available two bus journeys away,and unlike the Arsenal, Tottenham or Chelsea you can often walk in on the day Taught or know a fair few followers of both sides

Sent from my 5033X using Tapatalk
Mem Beespod

Sign Luisma, they’ll come flocking back. Simple.
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938
alexbach

[
Last edited by alexbach on 15 Oct 2019, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.
alexbach

alexbach wrote:
Mr Smart wrote:Sign Luisma, they’ll come flocking back. Simple.
That as well Mr smart ImageThree years ago QPR played Dundee united in a pre season friendly at the Hive Image

Travelled to the hive with Emma and her mates Image She reckoned we are her second team, and like Darren Currie attended Whitefield schoolImage

StephenM

The Hive looks different from that angle.
jerroll

StephenM wrote:The Hive looks different from that angle.
Similar volumes of noise though!
alexbach

jerroll wrote:
StephenM wrote:The Hive looks different from that angle.
Similar volumes of noise though!
Emma would possibly write a "Lol" at this juncture, but I taught her well