Kevin Charlton

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Reckless

Kevin Charlton

Not really Barnet related, don't care.

If you were a regular on the West Bank in the 1980's you will understand.
Kevin was Telford United keeper for about 12 years. This was a time with no stewards when interacting with players while the game was on was almost accepted. Kevin was the best and he always said he loved coming to Underhill because there was no malice from us just respect for a very good keeper and laughs.
The Percycuter once bought him a cup of tea and a chair from the social club to go with the Mars Bars he kept in his bag in the goal. He was a chunky monkey and we took the piss at first but learned he was diabetic and needed a regular fix!
I'm getting old and miserable I know but what happened to football? The buzz is really beginning to go for me. Ho hum.
RIP Kevin.
Right carry on everybody.
jerroll

Re: Kevin Charlton

Reckless wrote:Not really Barnet related, don't care.

If you were a regular on the West Bank in the 1980's you will understand.
Kevin was Telford United keeper for about 12 years. This was a time with no stewards when interacting with players while the game was on was almost accepted. Kevin was the best and he always said he loved coming to Underhill because there was no malice from us just respect for a very good keeper and laughs.
The Percycuter once bought him a cup of tea and a chair from the social club to go with the Mars Bars he kept in his bag in the goal. He was a chunky monkey and we took the piss at first but learned he was diabetic and needed a regular fix!
I'm getting old and miserable I know but what happened to football? The buzz is really beginning to go for me. Ho hum.
RIP Kevin.
Right carry on everybody.
Sad news, one of the real characters who used to visit Underhill in the late 80's. RIP Kevin
ricardobee

Kevin Charlton, one of those away keepers you could always have a giggle with. Most away keepers say nothing and never bite. Kevin could take anything verbally and always had a comeback. Sad news, condolences to his family. RIP Kevin.
amberforever

Sad news, RIP Kevin. He did have an excellent sense of humour. Another was Kevin Pressman I seem to recall. It’s great having terrace banter which was always a part of Underhill.
Beereasonable

Another character in goal for the opposition was Steve Perrin for Forest Green. Could always take a bit of banter as could our own Gary Sumo Philips
hoppy

Surely one of the most extrovert of goalkeepers was our own Steve Humphries.
john dockers shorts

Talking of keepers I always remember a few keepers that played against us and for no reason always remembered them. Just names and faces that I remember today.

Dave Mogg Bath City
Paul Barron Welling
Derek Richardson Maidstone
Mikel Bee

Cheerthefuckup wrote:Another character in goal for the opposition was Steve Perrin for Forest Green. Could always take a bit of banter as could our own Gary Sumo Philips
Tony Roberts for Dagenham was another. Lightened up many an afternoon on the North Terrace.
Psycho

Cheerthefuckup wrote:Another character in goal for the opposition was Steve Perrin for Forest Green. Could always take a bit of banter as could our own Gary Sumo Philips
I remember a Barnet fan (Clarkey) asking Steve Perrin why he was so fat. Perrin replied as he was getting ready to take a goal kick "......because every time I shagged your mum she cooked me a pie after!" :laugh:

RIP Kevin Charlton.
pletch99

Dave Ryan of Northwich Victoria is the other keeper I remember from the mid 80s along with Kevin Charlton.

Seem to recall Ryan took a fair amount of stick from the West Bank for his urm "good looks"
Mattamies

Can't forget dave ryan..... Played forever!
Mattamies

Dave.
Attachments
Dave
Dave
_20201126_171725.JPG (5.2 KiB) Viewed 2008 times