Smash the Emergency Glass and bring in the Mad Dog!

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
BEE428

Smash the Emergency Glass and bring in the Mad Dog!

Apologies if this has been brought up before but desperate times
Prediction League Champion 2012/13 & 2013/14
Tuesds

Re: Smash the Emergency Glass and bring in the Mad Dog!

BEE428 wrote:Apologies if this has been brought up before but desperate times
If it was an emergency, ie if there was relegation, I’d agree. It’s pathetic and it’s painful every week, but it’s not an emergency. So we can look beyond Allen this time, in my view.
Roy57

Tuesds wrote:
BEE428 wrote:Apologies if this has been brought up before but desperate times
If it was an emergency, ie if there was relegation, I’d agree. It’s pathetic and it’s painful every week, but it’s not an emergency. So we can look beyond Allen this time, in my view.
Agree, with his health and his leaving when something better or more money is offered he leaves. Also we need a manager for long term. If we needed someone to come in and bring in points to stay up. Then yes. But he is not what we need now.
ninestein

There's no need for a panic appointment, and MA would be short term at best.

I still say that so long as the next manager has a good 5-6 weeks to see out the rest of this season, they can assess what we have, who is staying, who is going, then start the rebuild early.

Ideally we find the right person this week and give them even more time than that to set things up. But if it takes another 2 weeks to do due dilligence and make the decision, so be it.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
ETBee

ninestein wrote:There's no need for a panic appointment, and MA would be short term at best.

I still say that so long as the next manager has a good 5-6 weeks to see out the rest of this season, they can assess what we have, who is staying, who is going, then start the rebuild early.

Ideally we find the right person this week and give them even more time than that to set things up. But if it takes another 2 weeks to do due dilligence and make the decision, so be it.
Any new manager does not need 5 or 6 weeks to assess the team, he just needs to look at the videos of a few games. I cannot possibly see that any of the current lot who do not already have a contract beyond this season should be kept and even some with contracts might be given an early heave ho. I fear that somebody will persuade TK to sign up Faal permanently.
djhdjh

I don't think we should appoint any manager until much closer to the end of the season. 14 games of mostly losing is hardly going to get us supporters and potential new signings believing in a new manager in the way that you'd want for next season. That said, if they can get us not losing, that would be great but it feels like they'd have to be a miracle worker.
ninestein

The point of the new manager having 5-6 weeks to assess our squad is not just to pass judgement on our own players, but also to assess the strength of the league.

We've had more than one manager come in during the summer attempting to re-build, but underestimating the league we're in, or even over-estimating the quality of the players coming in. Stimson did it, Robson did it, although the experience did arrive later on after the season kicked off. Beadle has now also done it.

The new manager needs a look at this division first hand, especially if it's someone who hasn't managed in this division for over a year. Football evolves. Not so much of a problem if it's Neil Smith or Neal Ardley, but for others dropping down from higher setups or coming up from below, it's imperative they know what to recruit.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
jerroll

ninestein wrote:The point of the new manager having 5-6 weeks to assess our squad is not just to pass judgement on our own players, but also to assess the strength of the league.

We've had more than one manager come in during the summer attempting to re-build, but underestimating the league we're in, or even over-estimating the quality of the players coming in. Stimson did it, Robson did it, although the experience did arrive later on after the season kicked off. Beadle has now also done it.

The new manager needs a look at this division first hand, especially if it's someone who hasn't managed in this division for over a year. Football evolves. Not so much of a problem if it's Neil Smith or Neal Ardley, but for others dropping down from higher setups or coming up from below, it's imperative they know what to recruit.
difficult to disagree with this. I'd like to see Neil Smith as he ticks several boxes for me. If he needs to take a month out before starting so be it as long as he is in place at the beginning of may to begin the hard work needed to overhaul our fortunes.
becbee

jerroll wrote:
ninestein wrote:The point of the new manager having 5-6 weeks to assess our squad is not just to pass judgement on our own players, but also to assess the strength of the league.

difficult to disagree with this. I'd like to see Neil Smith as he ticks several boxes for me. If he needs to take a month out before starting so be it as long as he is in place at the beginning of may to begin the hard work needed to overhaul our fortunes.
Agreed.
Whilst it would be so good to actually enjoy a few matches during the next two months, it wouldn't make any difference long term. Certainly not worth wasting money which would be better used next season.
Neil Smith would seem like a safe option, as you say if he wanted a month out first then fair enough - sounds like a good idea to me.
finchleyman

A new manager does not need to assess the squad. They are useless and if not useless, their heart is not in the Club. The new manager needs to be someone who has good scouting and contacts, knows a good player when he sees one, can attract that player to the Club and can then organise the team.

We need to start again from scratch and not use old bandages to mend the wounds.
ETBee

finchleyman wrote:A new manager does not need to assess the squad. They are useless and if not useless, their heart is not in the Club. The new manager needs to be someone who has good scouting and contacts, knows a good player when he sees one, can attract that player to the Club and can then organise the team.

We need to start again from scratch and not use old bandages to mend the wounds.
Exactly.
Beeboardwarrior

Not sure we have the luxury of a budget which will allow us to recruit a new manager and coaching team, as well as paying off players on long terms deals and signing better players in every position. There is no doubt that the players have underachieved this year, but it could be argued that part of the reason we are in this position is that we threw the baby out with the bathwater, allowing so many players to leave last year. There are players in the squad like Taylor, EMC, Walker who we know are capable of contributing at this level. If a manager can come in and assess the squad and decides to retain the players he feels he can work with, wouldn't we benefit from some degree of continuity and quite possible a better budget for the players we do need to recruit?
JWTBee

Beeboardwarrior wrote:Not sure we have the luxury of a budget which will allow us to recruit a new manager and coaching team, as well as paying off players on long terms deals and signing better players in every position. There is no doubt that the players have underachieved this year, but it could be argued that part of the reason we are in this position is that we threw the baby out with the bathwater, allowing so many players to leave last year. There are players in the squad like Taylor, EMC, Walker who we know are capable of contributing at this level. If a manager can come in and assess the squad and decides to retain the players he feels he can work with, wouldn't we benefit from some degree of continuity and quite possible a better budget for the players we do need to recruit?
Sensible suggestion.
I love Luisma & really miss his skils!
BeesKnees99

I believe DC and Neil Smith are good mates. I also imagine DC will lend a few words of warning about working for Barnet Football Club.
djhdjh

Beeboardwarrior wrote:Not sure we have the luxury of a budget which will allow us to recruit a new manager and coaching team, as well as paying off players on long terms deals and signing better players in every position. There is no doubt that the players have underachieved this year, but it could be argued that part of the reason we are in this position is that we threw the baby out with the bathwater, allowing so many players to leave last year. There are players in the squad like Taylor, EMC, Walker who we know are capable of contributing at this level. If a manager can come in and assess the squad and decides to retain the players he feels he can work with, wouldn't we benefit from some degree of continuity and quite possible a better budget for the players we do need to recruit?
What exactly do we want to continue from what's gone on this season? There is no bath or baby or bathwater. I want a new manager to sweep out the stables (to keep mixing the metaphors) not provide continuity.

The reason it was a bad idea to turn everything over at the end of last season is because we did OK last season. Let's not get the two situations confused.

Obviously if players have contracts we're going to have to keep them unless they can find moves elsewhere but let's not start a narrative that there's something to work with here. There isn't. There's the odd player we can advocate for but that's still outweighed by the benefits of a fresh start. For all concerned.