The embarrassment

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
john dockers shorts

Re: The embarrassment

The Mirror is always my go to when establishing facts....

As is a bloke on Twitter said

I'll follow updates from the club to understand details of what's happened
Norfolkbee

Darren Lewis is a highly respected journalist. Why would he make things up?
becbee

hoppy wrote:What saddens me is that Barnet FC is NOT and NEVER HAS BEEN a racist Club. So many players over the years of different colours and religions have been employed by Barnet FC. We have had black managers and coaches, indeed we were one of the first clubs to appoint a black manager. Our support base is very diverse. And now, one (alleged) word from one employee is enough for all this upset and media attention.
If the employee is found guilty of racist talk then I am sure he will be instantly dismissed. If there is not enough to prove that the alleged word was spoken then everyone has to accept that. Whether or not we have handled this situation in the right way needs to be addressed in the very near future, but right now I am much more concerned that the Club I have supported for over 60 years is being portrayed as racist. It is NOT.
Completely agree. In all the years I've supported Barnet, there must have been many occasions when over half our team has been black. It's always been such a normal thing at Barnet that we don't think about it.

Before last night I'd never even heard of Ricky Bartlett. Surely if he made a racist comment loudly enough for the Stockport player to have heard it then surely others did also? It makes no sense that only one player on the pitch would hear something whilst in mid match but none of the other players or officials did? Or maybe they did?

I wonder whether the players had issues with Bartlett before, however minor? Because unless they heard the comment, it seems strange that they would automatically and without question take the word of an opposition player whom they don't know over a colleague whom they do. Let alone for Turley to react as forcefully as he did over hearsay?

I suspect we are not aware of the full story and need to keep an open mind.
DerekRocholl

john dockers shorts wrote:The Mirror is always my go to when establishing facts....

As is a bloke on Twitter said

I'll follow updates from the club to understand details of what's happened
It would be nice to think you could rely on getting information from club updates but large chunks of the Mirror article are quotes from the Chairman of Barnet FC whereas the Barnet FC statement says there will be “no further comment at this time” in emboldened black letters.

This is all fantastic timing with the club having 8 games in 28 days, with our next home game against Wealdstone. What a total shambles.
Stereotypical Barnet

That Ricky Bartlett is a nasty piece of work. I had a a Barney with him a few years ago at the Farsley Celtic game.

I told him that pouring hot water on the frozen ground would only cause it to freeze more. He told me to stop telling him how to do his job.

I reminded him his job had nothing to do with the ground staff; he stepped to me aggressively and told me to fuck off.

Trivial in comparison, but indicative of the kind of idiot he is. Needs to go, but won’t happen as he’s TK’s right hand man.
MCB

Norfolkbee wrote:Darren Lewis is a highly respected journalist. Why would he make things up?
There is a couple of fundamental key differences between the Mirror story and the Guardian story http://www.theguardian.com/football/202 ... ged-racism

Primarily the staff member was named in the Guardian and not the mirror.

But more significantly, the Guardian reports / confirms that the member of staff was ALSO suspended.

The HUGE issue I have with the Mirror article is that it basically states we've suspended our captain for standing against racism in the club whilst allowing the person accused of it to carry on regardless. It's an awful look.

The Guardian article says both were suspended pending an investigation which makes complete sense, especially if (as insinuated) things got overly heated.

We all know that the club is cack handed at communication and can make horrendous decisions. But racist to the core? Inept yes, racist, not that i've seen.
Tynant14

Stereotypical Barnet » What has pouring water on the pitch to do with this incident? I have always found Ricky to be a very hepful person not at all as per your description. Perhaps it was the way you approached the matter that made him tell you to go away!!!!!
Stereotypical Barnet

Tynant14 wrote:Stereotypical Barnet » What has pouring water on the pitch to do with this incident? I have always found Ricky to be a very hepful person not at all as per your description. Perhaps it was the way you approached the matter that made him tell you to go away!!!!!

Nope. They were pouring hot water on the frozen goalmouth if you remember. From my experience in amateur football I knew this wouldn’t work - I asked a steward to pass the msg on and he went out of his way to come over and give me a mouthful.
CrawleyBee

Sounds like we are the laughing stock once again, seems to be handled terribly. The gift that keeps in giving Barnet FC.
Formerly Watfordbee
Norfolkbee

MCB wrote:
Norfolkbee wrote:Darren Lewis is a highly respected journalist. Why would he make things up?
There is a couple of fundamental key differences between the Mirror story and the Guardian story http://www.theguardian.com/football/202 ... ged-racism

But more significantly, the Guardian reports / confirms that the member of staff was ALSO suspended.

The HUGE issue I have with the Mirror article is that it basically states we've suspended our captain for standing against racism in the club whilst allowing the person accused of it to carry on regardless. It's an awful look.

The Guardian article says both were suspended pending an investigation which makes complete sense, especially if (as insinuated) things got overly heated.

We all know that the club is cack handed at communication and can make horrendous decisions. But racist to the core? Inept yes, racist, not that i've seen.
Whichever way you look at this, it is indeed an "awful look".
DerekRocholl

MCB wrote:

Not sure the Grauniad article puts anything in a better light, why do they say they are going via the club to invite Bartlett to comment and say nothing about Turley or the Stockport player who alleged the racist abuse.

The issue was that Bartlett was allowed to go to work before the incident had been fully investigated despite the requests of players to the contrary. That he was subsequently suspended when Turley confronted him was closing the stable door after the horse had bolted.

Surely by now we all understand that the Met Police deciding that there isn’t enough info to proceed with a criminal charge doesn’t mean that something unnacceptable didn’t happen.
mike_p

alexbach

MCB wrote:

Well said. As I have said to a number of people today..old man signy would have handled things better

Sent from my 5033XR using Tapatalk
Spanker Ridley

It appears Kleanthous learnt nothing from the time he worked with Dennis Signy and just repeats the same mistakes over and over again.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Nudger70

Imagine there’s video evidence of incident the reaction of the Barnet players would probably show if they heard comment. If they did cannot understand how this was allowed to escalate.