Twitter Updates

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
John Hunt

Twitter Updates

There is a lot of angst on Twitter about the lack of Twitter updates from the club today.

Does it really matter? Do we need to know minute by minute what is going on in limited text?

Like many I would prefer a decent audio commentary. Hopefully Chas Cassen's proposition will come to fruition soon.

In the meantime the away team often has this accessible via the BBC or other means and apps such as Live Scores can keep us posted.
FCBFCSA Manager / Former committee member of BFCSA and BFCSA1926
rudebwoyben

Re: Twitter Updates

John Hunt wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 17:01 There is a lot of angst on Twitter about the lack of Twitter updates from the club today.

Does it really matter? Do we need to know minute by minute what is going on in limited text?

Like many I would prefer a decent audio commentary. Hopefully Chas Cassen's proposition will come to fruition soon.

In the meantime the away team often has this accessible via the BBC or other means and apps such as Live Scores can keep us posted.
Some people would prefer audio commentary but other people like me find the Twitter updates useful and illuminating.
BeeDeceived

Almost certainly the only club in the top six divisions not to offer any form of match updates to its supporters… or a post informing there would be no updates today.
WhetstoneBee

It’s not at all unreasonable to expect a professional football club to offer live match updates and pre- and post-match interviews as a bare minimum IMO. Many NL clubs offer a lot more - interviews with players through the week etc. There will be occasions when the usual media officer can’t attend games but it is not difficult for someone else to step in and could be easily organised if the club cared about keeping supporters in the loop.
rudebwoyben

Indeed, it seems very odd as the Aldershot Twitter account posted normally through the match whereas our one just posted the half-time and full-time scores without any further explanation.
Tuesds

John Hunt wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 17:01 There is a lot of angst on Twitter about the lack of Twitter updates from the club today.

Sure, but when the club has provided live commentary for almost every game for over a decade and when not providing it is simply unheard of among professional clubs, a simple message in advance to let the many people who appreciate the updates know that they won’t be happening on this occasion really shouldn’t be too much to ask.

Personally I prefer live text commentary via Twitter to audio commentary (although both options would be a welcome choice to have!); the reason I’m not at a match often means I’m doing something which precludes having headphones on/my ear clamped to the radio, but perhaps not an occasional glance at the latest on Twitter!

Even Shepton Mallet AFC keep their fans who can’t make the game up to date with live text commentary, such as this eyebrow-raising post today: https://twitter.com/mallet_afc/status/1 ... Oz4nP1rOUA
John Hunt

I remember former Barnet Protec player Liam Kenna being a What Happened Next? question on a Question of Sport for being on Twitter duties while a team substitute.

I was upset when audio commentaries ceased particularly as the club promised them for free. Likewise physical programmes etc etc.
Last edited by John Hunt on 03 Sep 2022, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.
WhetstoneBee

At this point I’d take a post-match interview with our manager to hear his thoughts on what went wrong today. Again, every other clubs manages it - why is it beyond BFC to provide this basic service for aupporters? Nowhere near good enough for a supposedly professional club.
ETBee

Tuesds wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 18:06

Sure, but when the club has provided live commentary for almost every game for over a decade and when not providing it is simply unheard of among professional clubs, a simple message in advance to let the many people who appreciate the updates know that they won’t be happening on this occasion really shouldn’t be too much to ask.

Personally I prefer live text commentary via Twitter to audio commentary (although both options would be a welcome choice to have!); the reason I’m not at a match often means I’m doing something which precludes having headphones on/my ear clamped to the radio, but perhaps not an occasional glance at the latest on Twitter!

Even Shepton Mallet AFC keep their fans who can’t make the game up to date with live text commentary, such as this eyebrow-raising post today: https://twitter.com/mallet_afc/status/1 ... Oz4nP1rOUA
Priceless! Too much pre-game cider I suspect.
Roy57

LoringBee wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 19:15 At this point I’d take a post-match interview with our manager to hear his thoughts on what went wrong today. Again, every other clubs manages it - why is it beyond BFC to provide this basic service for aupporters? Nowhere near good enough for a supposedly professional club.
Totally agree, some say it is not important I disagree, we are a professional club full time, but cannot even give supporters a regular update of game for those that cannot attend for what ever reason. It's just so poor when virtually every other club at our level and below. Same for highlights of our games, normally have to go to opposition site to get good highlights that last longer than three minutes. If we cannot do the simplest of things like this how does the club expect to attract a better class of player to want to join us. Small things turn in to bigger issues.
becbee

Roy57 wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 20:33
LoringBee wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 19:15 At this point I’d take a post-match interview with our manager to hear his thoughts on what went wrong today. Again, every other clubs manages it - why is it beyond BFC to provide this basic service for aupporters? Nowhere near good enough for a supposedly professional club.
Totally agree, some say it is not important I disagree, we are a professional club full time, but cannot even give supporters a regular update of game for those that cannot attend for what ever reason. It's just so poor when virtually every other club at our level and below. Same for highlights of our games, normally have to go to opposition site to get good highlights that last longer than three minutes. If we cannot do the simplest of things like this how does the club expect to attract a better class of player to want to join us. Small things turn in to bigger issues.
Of all the reasons why potential new signings chose to join or not join us, I imagine that the above is pretty low down their list of priorities.
John Hunt

I guess with only 5 staff in the media team regular tweets are too much to ask .......

Maybe they were all ill.

Perhaps the club can put out a request for one of the supporters to do the tweets when they become aware they haven't got somebody to do it.

Potentially one of the Uni students....or taking the lead of Mr Kenna one of the squad. We have made almost as many signings as Nottingham Forest and if they are not on the bench they probably have their nose in a phone during a match anyway.

If a supporter they could could give them their press pass and if at home access to the Hospital Radio Suite in the ground.

If nervous about letting the supporter loose on the official account maybe in their apology tweet suggest the account to follow for live updates.

Alternatively have another account for Barnet Match updates.

However they probably only realised their was a problem last minute. It may well be the person doing the tweets was logged into their personal account instead of the Barnet one.

It's not the end of the world but you will be pleased to learn that an announcement on audio commentaries is coming soon.

Watch all modern communication channels for the announcement .......
hoppy

I like the thought of an independent Twitter account. The official BFC Twitter account is too unreliable on match days.
Does the BFCSA have a Twitter account? If so I'm sure that one of our fans who attends regularly would be willing to provide match updates and also update us on things like whether there is any catering at The Hive, how many bar staff on duty, have the turnstiles blown a fuse etc etc.
rudebwoyben

The BFCSA does indeed have a Twitter account.
hoppy

rudebwoyben wrote: 04 Sep 2022, 08:50 The BFCSA does indeed have a Twitter account.

Great. That's a start. Now for someone to volunteer to do the match day stuff (subject to Committee approval).