Boredom Hoof (Hive) The Play Hoof Eliminator Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
chrisbeale

Re: Boredom Hoof (Hive) The Play Hoof Eliminator Match Thread

Great season and credit to Deano for building a squad capable of competing BUT he has absolutely lost the plot tactically since January, especially in the 2 biggest games of the season - leaving us 3-0 down and 2-0 down with very little hope. We were miles better than Gateshead, and miles better than Boreham Wood. Very disappointing, but hopefully he learns from his mistakes, adds 4 or 5 players over the summer, and we have a real chance of promotion next season without Wrexham and Notts County in the league.
BeeDeceived

A keeper with one leg for 75 minutes, we should have been peppering him at every opportunity. We didn't.

Wonder how much can be said for rotating so heavily at the weekend? Boreham Wood were full strength Saturday and tonight, won both. We rotated Saturday and full strength tonight, lost both. Same happened at Gateshead/York, rotated for the former and lost both. Players just want to play every possible time nowadays, keep the momentum.
#Beebot

BeeDeceived wrote:A keeper with one leg for 75 minutes, we should have been peppering him at every opportunity. We didn't.

Wonder how much can be said for rotating so heavily at the weekend? Boreham Wood were full strength Saturday and tonight, won both. We rotated Saturday and full strength tonight, lost both. Same happened at Gateshead/York, rotated for the former and lost both. Players just want to play every possible time nowadays, keep the momentum.
Don't think that made any difference. Our heads dropped after their first goal and never really recovered.
WhetstoneBee

That was completely self-inflicted. We had the better players, they had the better manager.

I am totally gutted. They were there for the taking tonight and we completely threw it out away in the first half.

Why did it take being 2-0 down for DB to finally realise that, as has been obvious for months, Kabamba and Smith up front DOES NOT WORK?

And to finally realise that 4-3-3 - the formation that has been by far the most successful for us this season - is, funnily enough, our best formation? We were SO much better in the second half and I firmly believe that if we’d been set up like that from the start, we’d now be looking forward to a trip to Notts County.

It does not take a footballing genius to realise that playing your main attacking threat as a wing back is NOT a good idea. Again, Kanu was so much better when moved to his natural position.

And as for hauling off Gorman (who was absolutely superb and central to all our attacks) for Courtney bloody Senior (who was, again, woeful) just when we were building some momentum and creating chances, well as others have said it was absolutely criminal. What on earth was the thinking behind that?

As positive as this season has been, I’m beyond frustrated tonight and really feel for the players. DB has done a great job this season but it counts for little if we’re just going to throw it away like that when it really matters. Gateshead and today were massive, massive days for this club and on both occasions some baffling tactical decisions cost us.

Don’t get me wrong: I like DB a lot. He’s recruited really well, created a great team sprit and a real sense of togethernsss with the supporters that he deserves a lot of credit for, but he gets it wrong tactically too often and tonight, one again, it cost us badly. And it’s knowing that we could and should have one that game that hurts most.
Jimbokav1971

Roy57 wrote: 02 May 2023, 20:44 What has Hall got to do to be brought into the pitch, were chasing the game and we bring on a defender, yes Borehamwood are VERY physical and not best suited to Rob Hall, but after Kanu he has to be our most threatening attack minded player, obvious he won't be with us next year. Agree he cannot play more than 60 mins but just feel his ability has not been used whilst with us.
I thought the Gorman/Senior sub was a really strange one.

Gormo was full of running, we were bossing game & he was becoming increasingly influential. For him to come off was bad, but that it was Senior rather than Hall was criminal. He offered absolutely nothing after coming on, (bullied away from even winning a ball never mind about doing anything with it). If Hall made bench, what was he there for if not this very situation?

I'm gutted that we made such poor tactical decisions and also played poorly as a team and individually, but at the same time there is much more positivity than we have had in such a long time.

The last time we were in the playoffs, (under DC), we only had 1 centre-half, we lost DC and it sent us into a downward spiral that kicked the life out of us. From here I see us getting stronger and if Notts Co win the playoffs next season should be enormously competitive at top end.

I'd like to think DB learns from his mistakes even if he doesn't acknowledge them in public.

Maybe this is just the next rung on the ladder we needed to take.
antbfc wrote:
"He owes everyone a naked run... His opinion is invalid"
Jimbokav1971

WhetstoneBee wrote: 02 May 2023, 21:15 That was completely self-inflicted. We had the better players, they had the better manager.

I am totally gutted. They were there for the taking tonight and we completely threw it out away in the first half.

Why did it take being 2-0 down for DB to finally realise that, as has been obvious for months, Kabamba and Smith up front DOES NOT WORK?

And to finally realise that 4-3-3 - the formation that has been by far the most successful for us this season - is, funnily enough, our best formation? We were SO much better in the second half and I firmly believe that if we’d been set up like that from the start, we’d now be looking forward to a trip to Notts County.

It does not take a footballing genius to realise that playing your main attacking threat as a wing back is NOT a good idea. Again, Kanu was so much better when moved to his natural position.

And as for hauling off Gorman (who was absolutely superb and central to all our attacks) for Courtney bloody Senior (who was, again, woeful) just when we were building some momentum and creating chances, well as others have said it was absolutely criminal. What on earth was the thinking behind that?

As positive as this season has been, I’m beyond frustrated tonight and really feel for the players. DB has done a great job this season but it counts for little if we’re just going to throw it away like that when it really matters. Gateshead and today were massive, massive days for this club and on both occasions some baffling tactical decisions cost us.

Don’t get me wrong: I like DB a lot. He’s recruited really well, created a great team sprit and a real sense of togethernsss with the supporters that he deserves a lot of credit for, but he gets it wrong tactically too often and tonight, one again, it cost us badly. And it’s knowing that we could and should have one that game that hurts most.
Good post. :sad:
antbfc wrote:
bfc_mo

WhetstoneBee wrote: 02 May 2023, 21:15 That was completely self-inflicted. We had the better players, they had the better manager.

Hopefully next season db doesn’t repeat the same mistakes and maybe just maybe we go back to league 2.
Berlinbee

Have to agree with all of this. I was thinking the exact same. DB is certainly not a tactician
PBBee

WhetstoneBee wrote:Kabamba and RDH need to turn up. Far too much hoofball from us.
Fair comment this & aren’t these the 2 with offers from higher up - should be Kanu everyone is after.

RDH not ready to step up just yet (but do think his game is suited for higher up eventually)

Realistically we haven’t had a very good performance for months (bar the odd half here & there) - 2nd half we tried to play football & showed glimpses but a shadow of the team that went on that run.

Delayed the inevitable on Sunday but would’ve been nice to be such underdogs in the huge full stadium.
Jimbokav1971

chrisbeale wrote: 02 May 2023, 21:04 Great season and credit to Deano for building a squad capable of competing BUT he has absolutely lost the plot tactically since January, especially in the 2 biggest games of the season - leaving us 3-0 down and 2-0 down with very little hope. We were miles better than Gateshead, and miles better than Boreham Wood. Very disappointing, but hopefully he learns from his mistakes, adds 4 or 5 players over the summer, and we have a real chance of promotion next season without Wrexham and Notts County in the league.
His infatuation with trying to play both Kabamba & Smith in the same team has kicked us right in the nads.

I know they are 2 of our best players, but Kabamba hasn't been the same since Smith arrived, (because they both want to attack the same areas), and they both want to be the focal point.

By playing both of them today we lost the effectiveness of Kanu because he had to play WB, and we also really missed Beardy who causes problems on the left that create space for Kanu to collect and drive with the ball.

The sad thing is that as poor as we are we still created some really good chances against a Wood side who I thought were below-par by their standards. They weren't good. They were just better than us.
antbfc wrote:
Jimbokav1971

PBBee wrote: 02 May 2023, 21:21
WhetstoneBee wrote:Kabamba and RDH need to turn up. Far too much hoofball from us.
Fair comment this & aren’t these the 2 with offers from higher up - should be Kanu everyone is after.

RDH not ready to step up just yet (but do think his game is suited for higher up eventually)

Realistically we haven’t had a very good performance for months (bar the odd half here & there) - 2nd half we tried to play football & showed glimpses but a shadow of the team that went on that run.

Delayed the inevitable on Sunday but would’ve been nice to be such underdogs in the huge full stadium.
I think if you look at the way the likes of Jack, EMC & Ronnie have blossomed at Posh, RdH is far more suited to playing at a higher level than Kabamba. If Kabamba was the main man, (as he was in the 1st half of the season), I'm also not sure how keen he would be to move. After this 2nd half of the season however..... he's going to far more interested in a move. DB also critical of him in post-match interview.
antbfc wrote:
BeesKnees99

Suicidal “tactics”.

RDH abysmal, backwards every time, didn’t want the ball.

Ridiculous hoofball tactics they dealt with every single time.

Smith & Kabamba anonymous.

Horrendous substitutions.

I can’t take the disappointment anymore. I’m done.
DSM

Proud of the team, the first time I’ve said this in years. We are on an upward trajectory and this season is hopefully just the beginning.

Let’s see County get out of this league now and then next season will be a much more even playing field.
rudebwoyben

BeesKnees99 wrote: 02 May 2023, 21:29 Suicidal “tactics”.

RDH abysmal, backwards every time, didn’t want the ball.

Ridiculous hoofball tactics they dealt with every single time.

Smith & Kabamba anonymous.

Horrendous substitutions.

I can’t take the disappointment anymore. I’m done.
How long have you been a Barnet fan?!!!!
BeeArmy22

All the Brennan critics appear after every poor performance. Doesn’t it get a bit boring. This season has been a breath of fresh air compared to the last 2 seasons of shit. If TK backs him again this summer we should be there or thereabouts again next season.
Now we pray Notts go up.