Altrincham (a) The Wynter Tour Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
BeesKnees99

Re: Altrincham (a) The Wynter Tour Match Thread

Extremely huge month for us, this. Alty, Daggers (bogey side), Chesterfield, Oldham and Gateshead.

We’ve failed the first test. Let’s see how serious we really are about finishing in the top 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rudebwoyben

aclassman wrote: 06 Jan 2024, 17:40 The commentators said Kanu was the best Barnet player on the pitch
I think this just shows the difference between us who see Kanu week-in week-out and someone who sees Kanu play for the very first time.
becbee

rudebwoyben wrote: 06 Jan 2024, 17:39
BeesKnees99 wrote: 06 Jan 2024, 17:26 Halifax lost 3-0 at Southend today. Southend fans are saying Halifax were “much better than Barnet despite their two wins against us”. Interesting.

Does this face look like it cares about anything they say?
Surely it's time for them to move on and just forget about us?
DerekRocholl

rudebwoyben wrote: 06 Jan 2024, 17:42
aclassman wrote: 06 Jan 2024, 17:40 The commentators said Kanu was the best Barnet player on the pitch
I think this just shows the difference between us who see Kanu week-in week-out and someone who sees Kanu play for the very first time.
How does it show that ? Surely they are commenting on how he played today compared to the rest of the team, how he played for the rest of season is irrelevant to that evaluation. They weren’t punting Kanu for POTY.

What is far more questionable is why it was deemed necessary to change our keeper who had kept 3 successive clean sheets. Unless there was an injury related reason it can’t have been good for morale and it certainly doesn’t seem to have been good for defensive cohesion.
#Beebot

WhetstoneBee wrote:According to online stats sites, Kanu has played 24 league games this season and hasn’t got a single assist. Is that right? Really atrocious record for a winger if so.
Not aware of a site that keeps reliable assist stats for the National League. I wouldn't put any trust in them
rudebwoyben

The reason why I say this is that a first time observer would see Kanu do his usual thing of going on mazy runs where he beats several players and thinks: this player looks great, he just needs to release the ball and he’ll be devastatingly effective.
However, the reality is that he seldom deviates from that and he ends up infuriating us.
rudebwoyben

#Beebot wrote: 06 Jan 2024, 18:07
WhetstoneBee wrote:According to online stats sites, Kanu has played 24 league games this season and hasn’t got a single assist. Is that right? Really atrocious record for a winger if so.
Not aware of a site that keeps reliable assist stats for the National League. I wouldn't put any trust in them
I’m pretty sure that stat is not true.
LoudmouthBFC

Shocking.
Attachments
claude-aftv.gif
claude-aftv.gif (2.66 MiB) Viewed 613 times
becbee

#Beebot wrote: 06 Jan 2024, 18:07
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/na ... op-scorers

If this is to be believed, the 24 top scorers in NL don't have a single assist between them. They do, however, all have 100% goal conversion and shot accuracy!
jzsbee

I really think that Walker being dropped/rested/whatever had an impact on this game. Not so much for the goals themselves but for the general defensive, and dare I say it, team cohesiveness. The back line obviously know Laurie really well and would have had to make adjustments for a new goalkeeper, maybe not significant but perhaps enough to make a negative difference. And although it is pure speculation I wonder whether players were thinking along the lines of "he's kept three clean sheets over the last three games and made some crucial saves but he's still been dropped so perhaps I won't get shown any loyalty either".

Perhaps I'm reaching and it was just another off day but I feel that it must have unsettled the team somewhat.
Roy57

I wonder if not for the first time DB has had a dig at Kanu, as after Southend game and a quick wave he went straight of the pitch, that's not like him, then he gets dropped to bench, and until then yes he has his faults but in most games he caused opponents problems, then there is Gorman who was benched when in many's eyes is our best midfielder, will be interesting to see if he was not in squad through injury, which must be the case because even with having favourites you wouldn't drop Gorman, I said long time ago Brunt is not good enough and I received lot of criticism saying he is our most creative midfielder, yet again he has another shocker. But for whatever reason he remains one of DB favourites. Agree with comments regarding Laurie, why change keepers after LW had kept three clean sheets, especially up against one of the in form teams in the league, will be looking forward to DB post match interview.
northantsbee

Anyone know how many Bees were there?
Going Indieground 7pm Tuesday, https://www.madwaspradio.com/
BeesKnees99

Gorman out with a knee injury. Collinge out too.

Just what we needed.

An angry and downbeat interview from DB with a few edits in there. Quite keen to see the uncut version tbh.

markobee

108 Bees were there, according to the post-match video.
Well done them, and I hope they had (or are having) a safe journey home.
CrawleyBee

markobee wrote: 06 Jan 2024, 19:39 108 Bees were there, according to the post-match video.
Well done them, and I hope they had (or are having) a safe journey home.
180 official number.
Formerly Watfordbee