Chairman's statement

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
hoofer2

Re: Chairman's statement

It's not appropriate to target any resident individually who speaks out against South Underhill.

Perhaps having some wildlife friendly planting and Beehives on site in interest of biodiversity could be a consideration with Barnet beekeepers association involved in the project. Underhill Honey with a Barnet FC logo!

There will always be uncertainty around what the scale could end up being, but on a scale similar to original Underhill, with community assets and taking pressure off residential streets with school drop off.... can only be a good thing.
barnetpete

miguelito wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 22:33
rudebwoyben wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 22:10 I thought that some of the provisions of Working Together were implemented when Mike Freer was the council leader and the only Tory leader who actually worked constructively with the club? I thought that was why the South Stand was able to be built?
The South Stand did eventually get built, but it wasn't what was envisaged by the club, and the plans were amended in order to get approval.

https://www.times-series.co.uk/news/190 ... l-stadium/

Scrolled down through the article, completely surprised to see me quoted!
Please consider donating, to help disadvantaged Children & Young People in Barnet, https://www.youngbarnetfoundation.org.uk/donate,
Berlinbee

hoofer2 wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 13:20 It's not appropriate to target any resident individually who speaks out against South Underhill.

Perhaps having some wildlife friendly planting and Beehives on site in interest of biodiversity could be a consideration with Barnet beekeepers association involved in the project. Underhill Honey with a Barnet FC logo!

There will always be uncertainty around what the scale could end up being, but on a scale similar to original Underhill, with community assets and taking pressure off residential streets with school drop off.... can only be a good thing.
I thought about this idea too. Having some beehives and a place for Barnet beekeepers to be involved to on site would make so much sense for many a reason! Just not too close to the ground itself....perhaps the away end....
Sam_BFC

EastBarnetFan wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 11:44 How much of a fight did they pick with the school after we left? which is far more invasive on a day to day and is a huge block building out of keeping with the area.
They did pick a fight with the school and I know of at least one resident that now considers the combined morning traffic of Ark Academy and the reinvigorated Totteridge Academy a nightmare.

Agreed we should refrain from targeting individuals. The sad part is the amount of pandering to what I suspect were largely imagined concerns about the pretty small 2007 development when concerns about the genuinely more intrusive school development were ultimately disregarded.

Having actual Beehives on the site is a great idea if in any way realistic (not sure if suggestion is tongue in cheek and I am being desperately optimistic).
EastBarnetFan

If you volunteer to give a quote to a well-known local paper that will reach a large audience, I think it's perfectly acceptable to comment on her public statement.

I think we can all agree on the beehive, makes perfect sense!
beew

EastBarnetFan wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 14:56 If you volunteer to give a quote to a well-known local paper that will reach a large audience, I think it's perfectly acceptable to comment on her public statement.

The Totteridge Academy have a large collection of Hives on their allotment at the back of the school. The allotment is about 2 acres and the students grow and sell food over the year. It's a great scheme, but I doubt we'd have the room to house hives, and the risk assessment would be difficult to square.
ETBee

beew wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 15:30
EastBarnetFan wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 14:56 If you volunteer to give a quote to a well-known local paper that will reach a large audience, I think it's perfectly acceptable to comment on her public statement.

The Totteridge Academy have a large collection of Hives on their allotment at the back of the school. The allotment is about 2 acres and the students grow and sell food over the year. It's a great scheme, but I doubt we'd have the room to house hives, and the risk assessment would be difficult to square.
Beehives take up no room at all and there is no risk unless an idiot tries to open the hive. Just put the hives on the roof like they do in many office blocks. We could even have a "green" roof on one of the stands. Also a clever selection of trees would also provide more vegetation than there is now - it's mostly grass.
beew

ETBee wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 15:59

Beehives take up no room at all and there is no risk unless an idiot tries to open the hive. Just put the hives on the roof like they do in many office blocks. We could even have a "green" roof on one of the stands. Also a clever selection of trees would also provide more vegetation than there is now - it's mostly grass.
Luckily all of the existing trees are far from healthy. I like the green roof idea and never thought about Hives on roofs. Everydays a school day.
Berlinbee

beew wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 16:11
ETBee wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 15:59

Luckily all of the existing trees are far from healthy. I like the green roof idea and never thought about Hives on roofs. Everydays a school day.
Great for biodiversity, great for PR especially being on Green Belt land and great for Linda and local residents.

West Ham have their bubbles, we’ll have bees buzzing around Underhill. Jars of honey in the club shop? I’ll buy 4. Marvellous stuff
Sam_BFC

Concern for the fate of Rainbow Centre who have apparently been promised housing in a redeveloped Pavilion.

Hope Sean McGrath will be in touch with them. Give them a Rainbow Suite and make it better than anything that they have been previously promised.
buzzlightyear

miguelito wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 06:39
buzzlightyear wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 23:59 I think Freer has recently stood down. Is there a connection to TK's announcement?
He's standing down as MP for Finchley. He hasn't been a councillor for years.
As a strong advocate of the club presumably in either role.
Devon_Bee

If we ever needed a stark reminder of why it's critical to keep THL (and the associated income it brings in) as part of the club, whether we get the new stadium or not, this is it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68372224

I don't want Barnet to go back to those days ever ever again.
beew

Sam_BFC wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 16:39 Concern for the fate of Rainbow Centre who have apparently been promised housing in a redeveloped Pavilion.

Hope Sean McGrath will be in touch with them. Give them a Rainbow Suite and make it better than anything that they have been previously promised.
They've been waiting along time for it to happen,

https://www.barnetsociety.org.uk/long-w ... lis-valley

https://www.barnetsociety.org.uk/after- ... -underhill
Last edited by beew on 22 Feb 2024, 17:13, edited 2 times in total.
becbee

Devon_Bee wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 16:48 If we ever needed a stark reminder of why it's critical to keep THL (and the associated income it brings in) as part of the club, whether we get the new stadium or not, this is it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68372224

I don't want Barnet to go back to those days ever ever again.
I was thinking similar- Torquay and Rochdale to name just the two current ones. Sure we all want to return to Barnet and will moan if /when things go wrong. But ultimately, however long it takes, we support a secure club - and no relegation worries either.
Devon_Bee

becbee wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 17:07But ultimately, however long it takes, we support a secure club - and no relegation worries either.
Hear hear. :y: