Downhill Second Half Returns + Podcast

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Anthony

Re: Downhill Second Half Returns + Podcast

underhillbovrilstink wrote:Really good last 3 episodes and getting TC on is a big coup for DSH ! Great work.

Much respect to Tony for being a guest .....Would love to have asked him why he marginalised and ultimately sold our other established strikers McGleish/Charlery, when he was 35 at the time and never going to play every match? We were left with a young Wayne Purser and Tony “watch the windows” Richards for that ill fated run in.

Say what you want about Stilly, with the Bees he reached the league two playoffs twice within 3 years, took Dag & Red to League one and won the conference with Luton, would be good to hear his side of the story.

Great recommendation on the 90s football podcast too (Quicky Kevin).

Gary Breen for season 3 ?
I’m fairly certain Charlery left at the same time as Paul Wilson (both to Boston) before Tony Cottee arrived. TC took the 9 shirt, which would have been occupied Ken Charlerly, so I’m sure that’s the case.

Tony Cottee did however send Omar Rita back to West Ham, I seem to remember there was an option to hold onto him for a bit longer, but we didn’t take it up. A shame as my recollection was that Riza performed well for us and offered something a bit different compared to our other strikers at the time.
jerroll

Anthony wrote:
underhillbovrilstink wrote:Really good last 3 episodes and getting TC on is a big coup for DSH ! Great work.

Much respect to Tony for being a guest .....Would love to have asked him why he marginalised and ultimately sold our other established strikers McGleish/Charlery, when he was 35 at the time and never going to play every match? We were left with a young Wayne Purser and Tony “watch the windows” Richards for that ill fated run in.

Say what you want about Stilly, with the Bees he reached the league two playoffs twice within 3 years, took Dag & Red to League one and won the conference with Luton, would be good to hear his side of the story.

I’m fairly certain Charlery left at the same time as Paul Wilson (both to Boston) before Tony Cottee arrived. TC took the 9 shirt, which would have been occupied Ken Charlerly, so I’m sure that’s the case.

Tony Cottee did however send Omar Rita back to West Ham, I seem to remember there was an option to hold onto him for a bit longer, but we didn’t take it up. A shame as my recollection was that Riza performed well for us and offered something a bit different compared to our other strikers at the time.
spot on, KC left in September, TC arrived end of October. i love how history gets reinvented.
Anthony

jerroll wrote:
Anthony wrote:

spot on, KC left in September, TC arrived end of October. i love how history gets reinvented.
I think it is fair to say that this period was my era. I could probably name all 30 odd of that squad that year, complete with squad numbers, where we signed them from and where they went after they left. Yet if you were to ask me the name of the players that Tim Flowers has signed so far, I’d be seriously struggling!
jerroll

Anthony wrote:
jerroll wrote:
Anthony wrote:

I think it is fair to say that this period was my era. I could probably name all 30 odd of that squad that year, complete with squad numbers, where we signed them from and where they went after they left. Yet if you were to ask me the name of the players that Tim Flowers has signed so far, I’d be seriously struggling!
With you there!
letchbee94

Likewise John and Anthony.
barnetpete

I can tell you they are 6’6, 6’5 and 6’3 but nothing their names!
Please consider donating, to help disadvantaged Children & Young People in Barnet, https://www.youngbarnetfoundation.org.uk/donate,
tonbridgebee

Really good to hear TC's side of the story at last, as expected he might have been part of the cause but not the full story of why we got relegated.

The only thing that really struck me was his and his agent's naivety of researching John Still's standing in the game and at the club, if they thought John was just going to disappear upstairs and stay out of things then it's not a great surprise it ended the way it did.

I think the whole process scarred him as seeing management as a path forward, just another case of TK being star struck by a big name in charge of his football club.
thefootballtrimmings

Has anyone got a link to that 7-0 win over Blackpool? Can't find it anywhere (used to be on Youtube but seems to have disappeared).
Check out my football blog (which includes a fair amount of Barnet FC!) https://www.thefootballtrimmings.com
hoppy

Just been browsing on DSH. What a great site. Well done to all involved in setting this site up and keeping it up to date.

Just had a look at what else happened on previous 20th Aprils and the two stand-out matches were (1) our FA Amateur Cup win against Bishop Aukland (3 2 win at Wembley 1945/46 season) and (2) our last ever game at Underhill ( 1 0 win over Wycombe Wanderers 2012/13).

Also (please correct me someone if I have got this wrong) it seems we have scored a total of 6998 league goals since our records started.
Can we get two goals tomorrow? If so, who will get the historic 7000th league goal? I hope its Nicke Kabamba.
becbee

Anthony wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 11:57

My recollection was that Tony Cottee didn't want any striker to appear better than him. Omar Riza looked good, he looked better than Cottee - so he had to go.
becbee

hoppy wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 13:45 Just been browsing on DSH. What a great site. Well done to all involved in setting this site up and keeping it up to date.

Also (please correct me someone if I have got this wrong) it seems we have scored a total of 6998 league goals since our records started.
Can we get two goals tomorrow? If so, who will get the historic 7000th league goal? I hope its Nicke Kabamba.
Echo your praise for DSH.

Thanks for pointing out the potential 7000th league goal tomorrow. Hope we achieve it. Would be a shame to let that go unnoticed. Agree it would be good if Nicke could do it.
erichitchmo

Appreciate the comments, all. Nicke Kabamba did indeed score the 7000th Barnet league goal since all the Barnet clubs merged into the one we know today in 1901.

We will keep doing death by numbers as time goes on. Any other features people want on the site will be given due consideration!