Transfers 2024/25

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
PurleyBee

Re: Transfers 2024/25

BeeArmy22 wrote: 09 May 2024, 10:41
Psycho wrote: 09 May 2024, 09:59 Sir John Akinde let go by Colchester. Not surprising given his age but not for one second do I think we should try and re-sign him.

He will always be one of Barnet FC's greatest ever strikers and the ice-cool penalty taker of all time. You could stake your house on him to score from 12 yards.

I hope he finds a decent club and achieves more success in his long career. :hi:
That penalty at home to Carlisle in our relegation season will always haunt me
Indeed, many things went on that season but that night against Carlisle for me was pivitol. Am sure JA will find a new club in the coming weeks but don't think he's a type DB would go for with our style of play, a club legend though that's for sure.
hoofer2

PurleyBee wrote: 09 May 2024, 11:27
BeeArmy22 wrote: 09 May 2024, 10:41
Psycho wrote: 09 May 2024, 09:59 Sir John Akinde let go by Colchester. Not surprising given his age but not for one second do I think we should try and re-sign him.

He will always be one of Barnet FC's greatest ever strikers and the ice-cool penalty taker of all time. You could stake your house on him to score from 12 yards.

I hope he finds a decent club and achieves more success in his long career. :hi:
That penalty at home to Carlisle in our relegation season will always haunt me
Indeed, many things went on that season but that night against Carlisle for me was pivitol. Am sure JA will find a new club in the coming weeks but don't think he's a type DB would go for with our style of play, a club legend though that's for sure.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X8Ddmb3NxwE
rudebwoyben

It was like the one occasion he deviated from his usual penalty routine!
Tuesds

It felt pivotal at the time, but Akinde missing that pen probably helped us. Another win in the bank for Westley may have delayed his eventual sacking by a few weeks, giving Martin Allen even less time to pull off a great escape. Had Akinde employed his usual method and rolled the penalty into the net, we possibly wouldn’t have had the fun of the five wins in 7 in the run-in and the hope that Allen gave us in those few weeks.
Tuesds

I do think we should be looking to conduct a raid on Meadow Park and take advantage of Boreham Wood’s relegation. That squad was better than their league position, with a lot of players who’ve proven their quality at National League level. We would need to pay fees in most cases, but you would hope that some of those players would be keen to stay in the National League.

We need another forward, and Tyrone Marsh has the experience of promotion from the division with Macclesfield and of winning play-off ties with Wood. Not sure he’s prolific enough, although I think it was hard for anyone to score goals in that team last season. He’s flexible, too, with the ability to play as a striker or a number 10, or as a wide player.

If we can’t afford Hartigan, I remember Tom Whelan playing a quarterback-type deep-lying centre mid role for Solihull Moors against us at the Hive. I can’t recall if he was any good at it, mind you.
Norfolkbee

Looking at goalkeepers that have been released, I notice that Joe Day has been freed by Newport. A decent experienced keeper, who would probably be a calming influence at the back.
jerroll

Norfolkbee wrote: 09 May 2024, 19:48 Looking at goalkeepers that have been released, I notice that Joe Day has been freed by Newport. A decent experienced keeper, who would probably be a calming influence at the back.
lasted 2 games in a season long loan at Woking last the defeat at THL before cancelling loan and winning NLS with Yeovil
Norfolkbee

jerroll wrote: 09 May 2024, 20:43
Norfolkbee wrote: 09 May 2024, 19:48 Looking at goalkeepers that have been released, I notice that Joe Day has been freed by Newport. A decent experienced keeper, who would probably be a calming influence at the back.
lasted 2 games in a season long loan at Woking last the defeat at THL before cancelling loan and winning NLS with Yeovil
So he ended up having a reasonable season, but is more likely to turn up with Yeovil next season. Always looked decent when I've seen him play. I remember him having a bit of banter with the old South Stand crowd when he kept slipping over taking goal kicks when Newport visited THL on a frosty day.
Jimbokav1971

Of the names mentioned so far in this thread, Jeff King is the most obvious one and after not featuring so regularly this season, it might be more doable than we expect. I suppose it depends how keen he is to play and challenge for another title. Chesterfield actually had a +1 option on him that they didn't take up.

Chris Bush at Boring Wood has always impressed me when I've seen him, but he's contracted for 1 more year and Boring Wood have a +1 option on top of that. For him to come to us there would have to be a fee involved and I don't think that's likely at all. If not Bush then we certainly need a left-sided defender because Okimo surely can't keep playing every game.

I wonder what the chances are of Keeley coming back again? The fact that DB has let LW go suggest that either he thinks he can get him back or get someone else similar in.

Hartigan has been released and is a free agent. I think he's great on the ball, but I do wonder if he's physically capable of playing at this level without the ball? He's so poor in transition. I know just about everyone doesn't share this opinion, but it's just how I feel. Like most of you, DB loves him though, so I expect him to do everything to sign him and maybe the answer is a more athletic/physical player to play alongside him.

GO'D is out of contract at the end of this season, but I expect Oxford to have a + year option on him and even if they don't, (or don't trigger it), he's not going to drop down to the National League no matter how much he enjoyed his time with us. I'm not sure whether success in the Playoffs would make triggering that more or less likely. I don't think us signing him, (even just on loan again), is very likely is it?

Adam Thompson has been release by Orient and I liked him, but injuries a concern, (although possibly negated by an early signing and a full pre-season), but it should also be added that he played 90 mins in 11 of 13 games before his season ending injury. My initial thought on him was no, but he's a hell of a player and if it's a case of him or Connor Stevens then there is no comparison. Stevens looks way off it no matter how much DB praises him.

Ultra-athletic Midfielder to play alongside Hartigan, (assuming DB works his magic). I really like Gorman, but the impression I get is that DB is less keen than he has been in the past.

If we're going to lose Pritch for the off-pitch issues that might result in a ban from playing, we need to factor that in ahead of recruitment. Our system this season suits Pritch much less than the previous year where he was able to run off markers behind the ball, but DB loves him so that's all that matters really.

1st choice left back so that Coker can be a back-up and Idris can play further forward.
antbfc wrote:
"He owes everyone a naked run... His opinion is invalid"
rudebwoyben

The off-the-pitch issues with Pritch have been resolved AFAIK.
I do think he won’t be an automatic starter next season though.
Roy57

Jimbokav1971 wrote: 11 May 2024, 17:30
Hartigan has been released and is a free agent. I think he's great on the ball, but I do wonder if he's physically capable of playing at this level without the ball? He's so poor in transition. I know just about everyone doesn't share this opinion, but it's just how I feel. Like most of you, DB loves him though, so I expect him to do everything to sign him and maybe the answer is a more athletic/physical player to play alongside him.

/quote]

I do actually agree regarding Hartigan out of possession, his lack of pace is a big concern when he has a player running at him, and on quite a few occasions this has caused us easy to get to our back line. With the ball he is reliable, but if we need to climb the next run of the ladder next season and manage promotion I do wonder if Dean will look for more pace, without the ball Hartigan, Pritchard and Brunt are far to easy to walk through, the only one who looks like he could stop a player would be Gorman who many feel won't be with us next season.
DSM

We’ve been linked with Harrison Male and Nathan Ashmore on Twitter/this forum but I think Marcus Dewhurst is more likely, based locally with Wealdstone,ex sheff utd youth and likely has a connection to Brunt and Potter. Read somewhere that he house shares with Zak but not sure if that’s true.

Bush has also been linked, know he’s a no nonsense defender, not sure if he’s got the footballing credentials for DB.
Tuesds

Dewhurst is a very good shout, with the Sheff Utd connection and the fact he’s a free agent. Had a very good game at The Hive (in contrast to Male and Ashmore!) this season. However, in his interview after winning one of Wealdstone’s player of the year awards he was asked how he’s found his time at Wealdstone and said that it had been great other than the travel. So that could be an issue.
Jdk103

We announced Oluwo around the 18/19th may mark last year, so perhaps a signing within the next 7 days
king45bee

This from Peterborough site assume admin has made a mistake re EMC?Image

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk