Barnet retained list

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
DSM

Re: Barnet retained list

Hartigan released by Mansfield, thinking it’s unlikely we get him but not impossible. Sure DB would have had many conversations over the past 6 months and he’s London based so depends whether he’s after the highest pay, highest league or wants to build on finding a home and base to re-start his career.
becbee

DSM wrote: 07 May 2024, 10:07 Hartigan released by Mansfield, thinking it’s unlikely we get him but not impossible. Sure DB would have had many conversations over the past 6 months and he’s London based so depends whether he’s after the highest pay, highest league or wants to build on finding a home and base to re-start his career.
It would surely have been obvious to Hartigan that Mansfield would release him, even more so when they were promoted, so he has had plenty of time to consider the need for him to consider his future options and whether he should be bearing Barnet in mind.
Tuesds

If we want to keep playing the same way and we can’t secure Hartigan’s services, we’ll need to sign a replacement in his mould, ie someone always looking to receive the ball from the centre backs, always wanting the ball and happy to receive it in tight spots etc. Not very many available I’d imagine, and even fewer who are any good!
jonbonbaby

John Bostock might not be able to afford him though
gowerfan

Bostock is too old
peterstebbings

I’m obviously in the minority, but I can pass on Hartigan. To me, he’s a bit of a luxury player and one-dimensional.

By the end — and this was painfully obvious against Solihull — he came to symbolise how slow and predictable our buildup play became.

Yes, he’s obviously a lovely passer, but what else does he do? He can’t tackle and he doesn’t really score (three in 45 all season).

If we’re going to be better next season we need more than that.

On the same theme, I did wonder what happened to DB’s idea that he wanted us to be a team full of pace.
BeeArmy22

peterstebbings wrote: 07 May 2024, 16:02 I’m obviously in the minority, but I can pass on Hartigan. To me, he’s a bit of a luxury player and one-dimensional.

By the end — and this was painfully obvious against Solihull — he came to symbolise how slow and predictable our buildup play became.

Yes, he’s obviously a lovely passer, but what else does he do? He can’t tackle and he doesn’t really score (three in 45 all season).

On the same theme, I did wonder what happened to DB’s idea that he wanted us to be a team full of pace.
Agreed
Sam_BFC

He did get in the National League team of the season. He may well be setting his sights on Football League. Maybe he will end up at Bromley.
jerroll

gowerfan wrote: 07 May 2024, 15:58 Bostock is too old

Since when has 32 been too old? hardly has lots of miles on the clock either!!
BeesKnees99

peterstebbings wrote:I’m obviously in the minority, but I can pass on Hartigan. To me, he’s a bit of a luxury player and one-dimensional.

Coming round to the same viewpoint myself. Skilful player but too lightweight and defensively suspect.

I’m obsessed with Solihull’s Jamey Osborne. Someone in his mould would be perfect in our midfield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rudebwoyben

I don’t disagree with your analysis of him, I just think if you can balance out the midfield with someone who does have more physicality and legs, that would negate his deficiencies.
Jdk103

Only Barnet can have a player win 4 awards at the end of year do, end up in the national league team of the season, be statistically one of the best players in the league and still have some fans turn their nose up at him. Amazing! I loved the team we had this year but without Hartigan we’d have been 6th/7th at most
ninestein

Think back to Fairclough's side. Very attacking, dynamic going forwards with Graham, Bailey, Sinclair running from midfield supporting Graz and the battering ram Liam Hatch.

My point is... take Dwane Lee out of the side and we didn't function as well. Hartigan is a great player for this level to link defence to attack, but you need to surround him with the right players elsewhere.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
BeeArmy22

Hartigan was obviously great for us, but I think he’s overrated because of how difficult it is to quantify his lack of quality when defending. If we go to a back 4 next season, which a lot of people want on this forum, he cannot be our defensive midfielder. The back 3 papered over his defensive frailties to an extent but we still conceded a shed load of goals and looked pretty lightweight at times.
Sam_BFC

Goals for and against make interesting reading. Champions Chesterfield, Solihul and Gateshead all conceded more than us. Aldershot conceded 83 and almost made the play offs.

Bees have been a funny side under Brennan in terms of goals conceded. We have gone on excellent runs of being really tight at the back and at other times quite the opposite.