The Hive to be discussed in the House of Commons

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
John_c

Re: The Hive to be discussed in the House of Commons

MCB wrote:So, it could be viewed as petty because I don't like Bob Blackman, and found his grandstanding regarding this incident (read from Page 1 of this thread for background) petty beyond belief, I have been following up on this to enquire as to whether Harrow have actually paid Camden the amount Bob claimed they were due when he led his friday night adjournment on television. I mean, he wouldn't be making this up would he?

Anyway, Harrow were very quiet. So I submitted a Freedom Of Information request. It's taken a while as it was taken off them by the borough's lawyers, who have now responded, with a very unsatisfactory response.

Full query and response below.
Freedom of Information Request

Thank you for your request for information received on 08th Aug 2019.

This request is being handled under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

I have detailed below the information you have requested and what is being released to you.

In 2017 the MP for Harrow East Bob Blackman raised an adjournment debate in the House of Commons regarding the sale of land to Barnet FC in his borough. See: https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2 ... iveStadium

The relevant issue raised was that as a result of the sale of land (Prince Edwards Playing Fields / The Hive) Camden Council is owed £1 million (estimated sale of the land was for £2 million ' but the football club has a very long lease which explains the relatively small amount of money for such a large plot). 'Under the land transfer, however, the agreement was that the London Borough of Harrow would pay the London Borough of Camden half of the value it received, plus 4 percentage points above the Co-operative bank base rate, if the site were to be sold before 2041. Here we are in 2017 and the site has been sold, but I understand that the London Borough of Camden has not received a penny piece.' ' Bob Blackman

My questions are as follows:

1 - can you provide explicit details of the agreement Harrow made with Camden Council regarding the prospective sale of Prince Edwards Playing Fields (PEPF)?

This document is publicly available from the Land Registry and as such is exempt as per (Section 21 – information already reasonably accessible) of the Freedom of Information Act: Please refer to the weblink: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisat ... d-registry

Section 21(2)(a) states that information may be regarded as reasonably accessible to the applicant “even though it is accessible only on payment”.

2 - can you advise the exact amount that is due to L.B Camden under this agreement?

Please refer to the document held by the Land Registry as per question 1.

3 - can you advise if Camden has received the monies Bob Blackman has claimed is due to them?

No. The Council’s position is that nothing is due pursuant to the document.

4 - if not, can you advise if Camden has attempted to reclaim this money from L.B Harrow to date and when it will be paid?

Yes, but please see the above reply as to the Council’s position.

I hope that this information is of some help to you.

Please note that the information contained in this reply is believed to be accurate as at todays date (unless otherwise indicated) but no guarantee is given.

Further, Harrow Council does not accept liability for any loss, injury or damage which arises from the use of the information contained in this reply either by you or by any other party.
So, does anyone know if a) you can simply fob off like this in a FOI request or b) if anyone has access to free land registry searches?

Quite simply the council are denying that what Bob said is correct.
Bob could have been talking complete bollocks. I believe it may not be the first time.
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

Proud Winner of the Sponsor Marvin Armstrong Shirt Raffle 2023/24

Worlds best Prediction League player
wearebees

MCB wrote:
wearebees wrote:Land reg isn't free. It's normally £4 per record I believe. My company has an account (happy to use to try search though I'd need the address/postcode) and even then it costs them £4 every time I search freehold info on land reg.
That would be amazing if you could - it would be the Hive's postcode - HA8 6AG

ILEA was disbanded in 1990 -but the land was transferred over in 2001. so the date would have been around then I expect?
Very sorry but I don't seem able to get the document mentioned in point 1 below afterall, apologies. The link you were sent just sends to a general website address nothing specific and I'm not sure where it would be hidden. I can access title deed (sales) information but only the most recent sales so not 2001. Someone else might be able to help better, I must admit I don't use the website often and it's not the most simple website! Not sure where it would be.
MCB

Oh look, it's resurfaced again :D

http://camdennewjournal.com/article/unc ... ansfer-fee
HertsBee

If we payed Harrow council 2 million, then it is them who owe Camden half.
Patel89

edgeog wrote:If we payed Harrow council 2 million, then it is them who owe Camden half.
Exactly nothing to do with BFC
MCB

It's everything and nothing to do with BFC. You need to read from the start.

It's Bob Blackman using his position to take to the floor of the House of Commons to slate Barnet Football Club, but to the utter detriment of his constituents.

He's spent a million pounds to have a go at Barnet. I think that should be known. And as a constituent of Camden, that equates to approximately the entire annual budget of a primary school, so i'd like to Camden get the money they had no idea was due to them.
dawat

As far as I can see looking at the questions asked, the only outstanding amount of money owed by Barnet FC would be the 4 percentage points above Co-op Bank's base rate at time of sale (if before 2041). That would not amount to anything like £1 million.
MCB

dawat wrote:As far as I can see looking at the questions asked, the only outstanding amount of money owed by Barnet FC would be the 4 percentage points above Co-op Bank's base rate at time of sale (if before 2041). That would not amount to anything like £1 million.
No, Barnet FC do not owe a penny, that's not what this is relating to.

Basically Barnet FC paid Harrow £2 million for The Hive.

Bob Blackman then discovered a covenant from the 1970's saying that if PEPF was sold by Harrow Council, half the money must go to Camden Council.

He then spoke to the House of Commons to slate Barnet FC and say this covenant showed what a bad deal the Labour run council got out of Barnet FC.

Camden Council had no idea about this covenant. No-one did. Now Camden want their money from Harrow.
#Beebot

MCB wrote:
dawat wrote:As far as I can see looking at the questions asked, the only outstanding amount of money owed by Barnet FC would be the 4 percentage points above Co-op Bank's base rate at time of sale (if before 2041). That would not amount to anything like £1 million.
No, Barnet FC do not owe a penny, that's not what this is relating to.

Basically Barnet FC paid Harrow £2 million for The Hive.

Bob Blackman then discovered a covenant from the 1970's saying that if PEPF was sold by Harrow Council, half the money must go to Camden Council.

He then spoke to the House of Commons to slate Barnet FC and say this covenant showed what a bad deal the Labour run council got out of Barnet FC.

Camden Council had no idea about this covenant. No-one did. Now Camden want their money from Harrow.
So in short Blackman decided that throwing a childish tantrum about us in Parliament just so he could undermine Labour was worth £1 million.
MCB

Correct. I believe the official term is 'Grandstanding'.
Mem Beespod

That's a bit out of character for him
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938
Mikel Bee

He has since replied clarifying he signed the letter for Wealdstone.
#Beebot

Mikel Bee wrote:He has since replied clarifying he signed the letter for Wealdstone. Image
Who aren't in his constituency.

Where's Boris?