ARK meeting re Underhill Stadium tonight

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
hertssteve

ARK meeting re Underhill Stadium tonight

Gary Cooper sent me this letter today regarding an ARK meeting tonight. All too short notice probably but it will be of interest to all who loved Underhill I am sure, Apologies for the copy of a photograph
Attachments
IMG-20171025-WA0000.jpg
ninestein

Re: ARK meeting re Underhill Stadium tonight

If the locals want to oppose it, they seriously need to think about what grounds they are fighting it on.
Digging up the past and how the land was acquired will have no bearing now on planning. It's history, move on.

It's all about traffic, parking, the size of the proposed school and numbers of people accessing the site, plus how much of the land surrounding it will be for outdoor use (i.e PE / sports), and where it will be accessed from.

The number of pupils was recently mooted as 1,000. That's the entire roll call of QE Boys or even Ravenscroft. Are they seriously thinking they can fit another school that size on the Underhill site? They need to be realistic.

I no longer live in the town. I only have a passing interest now, but to me it seems a ridiculous application for the size of the land available.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
eastbarnetsupporter

Once ARK is on the residents doorsteps, maybe they'll realise what a mistake they made in not wanted Barnet FC's South Underhill stadium.

Once every 2 weeks game v an everyday congestion and noise pollution school nightmare.
beew

Looking at the timeline document on the Ark website, if they obtain planning permission tonight, then the demolition process will start towards the end of November.
MCB

Seems it was approved
hoofer2

I live in St Albans and am a parent of 3 kids who will shortly be moving to secondary education....the big issue is they may not be able to get into any of my closest schools because kids are shipped in from Barnet and beyond.

The education system is seriously f***ed and Barnet should have more than enough schools. The government are copping out of building new state funded schools in favour of these academies (it's cheaper for them). I find the trend towards computer based learning horrifying, yet there is a sad inevitably that this will become the norm in time.

New schools have to be supported, but should be part of the national curriculum for better or worse.
John_c

MCB wrote:Seems it was approved
Pretty much all the local politicians have failed the residents of Underhill. They were used as vote fodder for years when an anti BFC stance suited the politicians. Now suddenly everyone appears to be mourning the absence of BFC at Underhill. The residents have been well and truly mugged off and should be seriously questioning their local representatives as to how and why this was allowed to happen.

And as for Dismore jumping on the bandwagon at this late stage. He spectacularly failed to support BFC and it's plans for years and now suddenly he cares?

It's easy to say this is karma for the local residents and all that, but I would say it isn't - they've been well and truly played. And left high and dry as a result.

Even the timing of the approval was a hatchet job. Half term and very late notice. Democracy.

The council will probably blame TK :-)
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

Proud Winner of the Sponsor Marvin Armstrong Shirt Raffle 2023/24

Worlds best Prediction League player
alexbach

Well summed up.no surprises,as radiohead once said and more than slightly alarming for the school once known as ravenscroft

Sent from my 5051X using Tapatalk
eastbarnetsupporter

As I've stated before, what did the local residents who opposed South Underhill think was going to happen should BFC be moved out? A new school/housing development was always going to be the replacement...
beew

eastbarnetsupporter wrote:As I've stated before, what did the local residents who opposed South Underhill think was going to happen should BFC be moved out? A new school/housing development was always going to be the replacement...
I would of thought they had their hopes on a housing development which in theory would of increased the price of the neighbouring houses once the stadium had gone. The land was worth more for a school to be built as the cricket club land would of been difficult to build houses on but is perfect for a school sports ground. The writing was on the wall but as some have said he residents were led a merry dance by local councillors.

As sad as it is, at least we as supporters fnally get closure on Underhill.
ninestein

As with any stadium which has closed its doors, it's always a sad sight to see the bulldozers move in.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
hoppy

So, is that it then? The school is happening. Or do the residents have any right of appeal?
beew

hoppy wrote:So, is that it then? The school is happening. Or do the residents have any right of appeal?
No you can only appeal if it's your application. Ie. If you applyed for an extension and the council rejected it you can appeal. If planning permission is granted to someone else you have no right of appeal.
hoppy

beew wrote:
hoppy wrote:So, is that it then? The school is happening. Or do the residents have any right of appeal?
No you can only appeal if it's your application. Ie. If you applyed for an extension and the council rejected it you can appeal. If planning permission is granted to someone else you have no right of appeal.
So the residents were given little or no advance notice of the Planning Meeting. It was scheduled during half-term when many residents would have been away. The objections from the residents massively outweighed those in favour.
AND THEY HAVE NO RIGHT OF APPEAL????
Isn't democracy a wonderful thing?
iBee

I have very little sympathy for the Underhill residents, these are the same people that treated us supporters as low life. They have brought this on themselves.

Yes they have been used as a political football, they let it happen rather then supporting the club. They wanted us out so that they could benefit financial, well they have got the complete opposite! (Unless the School becomes as sort after as a School like Owens).

I hope they are all stuck on their drives for hours every weekday morning! :-) A life :oooops: warning for us all that it is better the devil you know and be careful what you wish for!

:oooops: