Poppies

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
becbee

Re: Poppies

antbfc wrote:
ealingbee84 wrote:
antbfc wrote:
Dave H wrote:Well said Hoofer2. No sane person thinks War is anything but terrible. Some (e.g. WWII) were entirely justified, some weren't. Service people, in Britain at least, don't start them or get to choose which they will serve in. They do have to fight them and live with the scars, physical or mental, afterwards. They have earned our respect and support.
Surely post conscription they do get to chose which war they serve in?
Not really, they can sign up in peace time and a war comes along while their are in their 2 or 3 year minimum, if they are told to go they go whether they support the cause or not.
Exactly, so you sign up knowing you will be sent to fight regardless of the cause. You go in knowing the risks and knowing you will fight whoever wherever if told to.

Only point I was trying to make.
Donald Trump recently said "he knew what he was signing up for" to the young widow with a little child, sobbing over her late serviceman husband's coffin.
I expected nothing better from Trump. Do others really think that way?
OB1
Location: Formerly Block C Underhill - Now block E East stand The Hive

kingpinfid wrote:The White Poppy is a very useful symbol. It allows everyone else to identify massive knob heads and give them a wide berth.

I hope that more snowflakes go out, buy white poppies and wear them prominently.
Well said.
Prediction League Champion 2019/2020
Bee_Forever

Personally I could not care less about what some political nut jobs are trying to twist the poppy in to. It has been and always will be a way to remember British servicemen and their sacrifice in war.

The whole white poppy thing is hilariously misjudged as it is already accepting the premise that the red poppy and what it stands for has been corrupted.

The Britain First brigade must have rubbed their hands in glee when the White Poppy brigade sought to bring their own political agenda to the table about it as it gave theirs validity it did not deserve.

It is like saying that Nicky Nicolaou is a great left back because his only competition is Adam Gross.....
Psycho

I lost my great grandfather in the first world war so I wear my red poppy with immense pride. Hearing the last post and having the two minute silence can make me quite emotional whether at a football match or on television for Armistice Day or Remembrance Sunday.

What I find disrespectful is Tesco and other shops advertising Christmas on TV before we've taken off the poppies. Why can't they wait just ONE week and show a bit of respect?
John_c

Psycho wrote:I lost my great grandfather in the first world war so I wear my red poppy with immense pride. Hearing the last post and having the two minute silence can make me quite emotional whether at a football match or on television for Armistice Day or Remembrance Sunday.

What I find disrespectful is Tesco and other shops advertising Christmas on TV before we've taken off the poppies. Why can't they wait just ONE week and show a bit of respect?
You don't seriously think they're being disrespectful?

I use Tapatalk like the cool kids
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

Proud Winner of the Sponsor Marvin Armstrong Shirt Raffle 2023/24

Worlds best Prediction League player
Alwaysabee

I offer up these two links chiefly for the sake of amusement but also because they both in their own way help to illustrate the absurdity of what is fast becoming an annual debate:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng ... ygate-2017

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/photos/1 ... hotos.html
DerekRocholl

Bee_Forever wrote:Personally I could not care less about what some political nut jobs are trying to twist the poppy in to. It has been and always will be a way to remember British servicemen and their sacrifice in war.

The whole white poppy thing is hilariously misjudged as it is already accepting the premise that the red poppy and what it stands for has been corrupted.

The Britain First brigade must have rubbed their hands in glee when the White Poppy brigade sought to bring their own political agenda to the table about it as it gave theirs validity it did not deserve.

It is like saying that Nicky Nicolaou is a great left back because his only competition is Adam Gross.....
Personally I find the message traditionally associated with the wearing of a white poppy as respectful to those who gave their lives fighting for a peaceful and just world as the message given by a red poppy. I would encourage people to wear either or even better both. If bought from a bona fide source the funds raised go to the same or similar beneficiaries.