TK "Never Again"

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
ETBee

Re: TK "Never Again"

I'm sure that TK believes that a successful football team would help the commercial side of the HIve and it's associated facilities. The income from being in League 2, plus general publicity in the media has got to be be better than the NL. I don't believe that TK would rather we were in the NL.
barnet_pls

If the point of having the hive set up is to ensure a sustainable and progression on the football pitch, then it's failing so far - however is seeming giving us a better playing budget then if it didn't exist. However [apart of generating a salary for TK] what is the point of the hive, if it's not there to improve the football ? He surely hasn't been waiting 20 years for an opportunity to get into Medical Scanning for it own sake . . . . so he must therefore care about the football + generating revenue to support it. Otherwise what's the purpose of any of it ? He hasn't exactly made a "quick buck" by investing in BFC !?
Norfolkbee

ETBee wrote:I'm sure that TK believes that a successful football team would help the commercial side of the HIve and it's associated facilities. The income from being in League 2, plus general publicity in the media has got to be be better than the NL. I don't believe that TK would rather we were in the NL.
I don't think he would "rather" have a team in the NL, just that he isn't too bothered by it. To him it is all about budgets. He has done his sums and has adopted the mantra "not a penny more, not a penny less" on players, even when League 2 status is in jeopardy. You only have to look at the last transfer window. If one side of the MA saga is to be believed, TK was reluctant to let him bring in his own players. Why was that? Surely a manager has identified what he requires to do the job.
Mikel Bee

Norfolkbee wrote:
LeicesterBee wrote:A good friend of mine was at a regional referee forum last night and the guest speaker was no less than Martin Allen. He managed to have a 1-2-1 chat with him later in the evening and quizzed him on all things Barnet

MA said that TK had approached him about a month ago regarding the managers role but he chose to walk away. His main concern being that TK was clearly more interested in growing THL complex and not the club any longer.

I have no reason to doubt this and it pretty much confirms what I and many others on here have felt for a long time. Unfortunately this only supports my decision to walk away from the club I loved and supported passionately for 30 years.
Whilst I'm not willing to "walk away" from the club (at least not yet), I'm one of those who has long suspected what MA is said to have claimed. I think TK would be perfectly happy with operating a cheaper to run NL side simply to keep things ticking over at THL. However, why he has all these redevelopment plans is a total mystery to me when he is making little effort to progress the playing side. He must be the only chairman who chooses to hide behind the FFP rules when the team is in such dire peril of relegation. When was the last EFL team punished for breaking these rules?
Mismanaging a top 10 league 2 budget is not the same as deliberate neglect.

The conspiracy theories that TK has blown all this money to somehow reduce the size of the club doesn't make a lot of sense.

The intent from the chairman certainly seems to be there. The formula needs a lot of work.
beew

barnet_pls wrote:If the point of having the hive set up is to ensure a sustainable and progression on the football pitch, then it's failing so far - however is seeming giving us a better playing budget then if it didn't exist. However [apart of generating a salary for TK] what is the point of the hive, if it's not there to improve the football ? He surely hasn't been waiting 20 years for an opportunity to get into Medical Scanning for it own sake . . . . so he must therefore care about the football + generating revenue to support it. Otherwise what's the purpose of any of it ? He hasn't exactly made a "quick buck" by investing in BFC !?
Exactly that. The Hive will always provide us with an above average playing budget, which should, with the right managerial set up create a team worth watching and aiming for promotion. Time will tell if Westley is the man to rebuild a winning team, but if he fails then another manager will come in and the process will start again. We've been a poor side for many a year but at least with the guaranteed budget the Hive provides, we have hope that we can achieve success in the near future.
Norfolkbee

Re: TK

Mikel Bee wrote:
Norfolkbee wrote:
LeicesterBee wrote:A good friend of mine was at a regional referee forum last night and the guest speaker was no less than Martin Allen. He managed to have a 1-2-1 chat with him later in the evening and quizzed him on all things Barnet

MA said that TK had approached him about a month ago regarding the managers role but he chose to walk away. His main concern being that TK was clearly more interested in growing THL complex and not the club any longer.

I have no reason to doubt this and it pretty much confirms what I and many others on here have felt for a long time. Unfortunately this only supports my decision to walk away from the club I loved and supported passionately for 30 years.
Whilst I'm not willing to "walk away" from the club (at least not yet), I'm one of those who has long suspected what MA is said to have claimed. I think TK would be perfectly happy with operating a cheaper to run NL side simply to keep things ticking over at THL. However, why he has all these redevelopment plans is a total mystery to me when he is making little effort to progress the playing side. He must be the only chairman who chooses to hide behind the FFP rules when the team is in such dire peril of relegation. When was the last EFL team punished for breaking these rules?

The conspiracy theories that TK has blown all this money to somehow reduce the size of the club doesn't make a lot of sense.

The intent from the chairman certainly seems to be there. The formula needs a lot of work.
Surely, if the formula is still a work in progress, remedial action should be taken to shore things up in the meantime. By that, I mean reversing the slide towards relegation, although I fear it is too late now.
John_c

Mikel Bee wrote:
Norfolkbee wrote:

Beat me to that reply. So the crap team performance (in general) since we last got promoted has been a deliberate strategy to return us to the league we got promoted from? Nonsense.

Those tears he shed with his family at full time of the Gateshead game were because his plan had been foiled - why didn't I realise?!

I use Tapatalk like the cool kids
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

Proud Winner of the Sponsor Marvin Armstrong Shirt Raffle 2023/24

Worlds best Prediction League player
BigBee

Send 3 & 4 pence we’re going to a dance.

Chinese Whispers.

It’s all Greek to me.
Norfolkbee

Conspiracy theories or whatever? Nobody has come up with a decent reason as to why he has permitted standards on the football side slide so badly.
I've used the bar before matches on occasions, even though it is at times very overcrowded and I've supported the club with pre-match meals in Pecking Order (indeed I've also eaten there on a non-match night), but, like many, I'm only really interested in the football side, which has frankly in recent years been a rudderless shambles.
Bee_Forever

Posted jokingly on another thread that Tony was going to live up to his promise of no league football at the Hive, but I don't think anyone seriously believes he actually plans on the basis of us going down, or that he hopes for it.

Not unless you also believe that Aliens landed in 1952, Man did not land on the moon and that the Twin Towers was a CIA plot. Sometimes people's disdain for a chairman making poor footballing decisions just pushes over the edge in to outright paranoia.

Sadly when someone is as bad at managing the footballing element of a club as Tony is, a promise of "never again" has to be taken with a pinch of salt, as I don't think he has the capability to back up the promise no matter how well intentioned.

I am planning on being at every game until the end of the season does that make me a super fan? :whistle:
Norfolkbee

Bee_Forever wrote:Posted jokingly on another thread that Tony was going to live up to his promise of no league football at the Hive, but I don't think anyone seriously believes he actually plans on the basis of us going down, or that he hopes for it.

Not unless you also believe that Aliens landed in 1952, Man did not land on the moon and that the Twin Towers was a CIA plot. Sometimes people's disdain for a chairman making poor footballing decisions just pushes over the edge in to outright paranoia.

Sadly when someone is as bad at managing the footballing element of a club as Tony is, a promise of "never again" has to be taken with a pinch of salt, as I don't think he has the capability to back up the promise no matter how well intentioned.

I am planning on being at every game until the end of the season does that make me a super fan? :whistle:
Does that mean financially or simply the nous to do it?
Tuesds

As owner and Chairman, Kleanthous is ultimately responsible for the club's fortunes. We're 7 points adrift from safety at the bottom of the league, so he's going to get criticised. Personally, I think he made a critical mistake when he brought McGhee in over Eames's head, without consulting him or, if he did, without winning his agreement first. Bringing in an experienced, high profile figure to help guide an inexperienced manager at a time of crisis was a logical thing to do... but not without that manager's approval, and as we know it precipitated Eames's resignation and gave us two months with a manager who didn't want to be doing the job - and it showed.

Lots of other things have been said here, with reasonable views on all sides... BUT, three things get my proverbial goat:

1. Why do people see conspiracies or malign motives everywhere? I mean, Kleanthous tying the division's best striker (and the club) to a very expensive 3 year deal when most clubs would have cashed in long ago was a definite misstep in his plot to return the team to the Conference so he can run the team more cheaply and concentrate on oh my god it's so ridiculous I can't even finish this bit.

We are clearly spending vastly more on the playing staff than ever before in our history, in real terms. That's a fact. It's been badly spent in many instances, without question, but there are cheaper and more effective ways of purposefully neglecting the footballing side of a football club!

2. This notion that 'TK promised us we'd be challenging/we'd never struggle again..." Good grief. At the start of the season, there are 23 clubs who are confident they won't struggle. Our last three seasons have seen us win the Conference title and then twice finish comfortably in mid table in League 2. These have been followed by a season of severe struggle, and we all hate that. But if your response to it is 'TK promised me this couldn't happen' (he didn't), you might want to reassess things.

3. All this 'I've finally had enough' stuff... If people want to spend their own time and money on something other than following Barnet FC, that is their choice. But this idea that we have somehow had it particularly bad over the last 20 years often goes unchallenged here, and it's peculiar to me.

The four straight years of relegation battles are often trotted out, so as a modicum of counter-balance, once in a while perhaps it's worth recalling just a few of the other features of this period of supposed misery such as winning two Conference league titles, making the play-offs, two club-record FA Cup runs, going to Old Trafford (and the AMEX and St Andrews and Molinuex and Elland Road and the Liberty Stadium and more...), and enjoying thrillingly talented players turning out for our club, such as Currie, Bailey, Puncheon, Adomah, Bolasie, Davids (!), Villa and Akinde, alongside modern-day club heroes such as Harrison, Yakubu, Yiadom and more.

In other words, I'm proud of my club, and I'll still be proud of it if we go down to non league. Where, of course, this club has spent over 80% of its history.

Throughout this period, how much time have we spent at the same level as clubs with smaller support bases than us? Even in the Conference, supposedly medium-sized clubs such as Chester, Aldershot and Woking always get bigger home crowds than us when we're playing at the same level. If we should all be 'embarrassed' by our 'disgraceful' club, how should they feel about the fact that we are always or nearly always sat above them in the football pyramid?

Unless you support a club financed by Emirati oil wealth, you aren't going to win everything every year. And even then you might lose occasionally to the club funded by the Russian Oligarch. Every other club wins some and, more often, fails to win some.
Last edited by Tuesds on 09 Feb 2018, 14:51, edited 3 times in total.
RichardM

ETBee wrote:I'm sure that TK believes that a successful football team would help the commercial side of the HIve and it's associated facilities. The income from being in League 2, plus general publicity in the media has got to be be better than the NL. I don't believe that TK would rather we were in the NL.
Of course he would prefer us to be in The Football League rather than The National League, it is ridiculous to think otherwise. Who in their right mind would want to give up £1 million plus income plus the prestige etc.
ETBee

Well said Tuesds.

Reading these recent threads I'm reminded of the saying "Those whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad". The hysteria on this forum is amazing. As Michael Winner used to say "Calm down dear(s)".
NoMagRyan

Agree with everything you said Tuesds