Wycombe (Hive) The Broken Chair Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
hoofer2

Re: Wycombe (Hive) The Broken Chair Match Thread

The sad thing about the game yesterday was that all players did put an effort in with yet another defeat. In the first half Nicholls was first to the ball and we matched Wycombe. Football is about margins - when confidence is up the goalmouth scrambles, speculative punts and penalty decisions go your way.

What a soft penalty to give away... And as for the free kick, I was in line with the line to goal and commented to my son why on Earth have we only got one short player in the wall. The ball was punted in easily and relatively low.

The game was lost in midfield. Completely anonymous, no clear established formation and the inability to get down the line and deliver a cross. For me Shaq did try bit but is being played out of position and struggled to get the ball into the box.

For a few years now we have not had decent flying wingers who could really influence the game and stretch play. Gambin still has no end product and often went missing.
Last edited by hoofer2 on 18 Mar 2018, 17:20, edited 2 times in total.
becbee

hoofer2 wrote:The sad thing about the game yesterday was that all players did put an effort in with yet another defeat. In the first half Nicholls was first to the ball and we matched Wycombe. Football is about margins - when confidence is up the goalmouth scrambles, speculative punts and penalty decisions go your way.

What a soft penalty to give away... And ad for the free kick, I was in line with the line to goal and commented to my son wy on Earth have we only got one short hug in the wall. The ball was punted in easily and relatively low.

The game as lost in most. Completely anonymous, no clear established formation and the inability to get down the line and deliver a cross. For me Shaq did try bit but is being played out of position and struggled to get the ball into the box.

For a few years now we have not had decent flying wingers who could really influence the game and stretch play. Gambin still has no end product and often went missing.
Good post, sums up just what I think myself.
The first sentence such a relief from some of the hysteria about lazy players deserving P45s.
jerroll

hoofer2 wrote:The sad thing about the game yesterday was that all players did put an effort in with yet another defeat. In the first half Nicholls was first to the ball and we matched Wycombe. Football is about margins - when confidence is up the goalmouth scrambles, speculative punts and penalty decisions go your way.

What a soft penalty to give away... And as for the free kick, I was in line with the line to goal and commented to my son why on Earth have we only got one short player in the wall. The ball was punted in easily and relatively low.

The game as lost in most. Completely anonymous, no clear established formation and the inability to get down the line and deliver a cross. For me Shaq did try bit but is being played out of position and struggled to get the ball into the box.

Effort only gets you so far, ability then takes over and so many lack that sadly.The first goal was vital yesterday, once Watson gave away the pen it was game over as it allowed Wycombe to do what they are best at and spoil.
john dockers shorts

First half we matched Wycombe and having Baresi at the back we played some neat football through the team against a very tidy and well drilled Wycombe side.

Second half was the opposite and after a clumsy foul which until then thought it would be 0-0, we just lost the plot and hoofed.

Santos had a bad game, Watson your number is up sir... He is a poor mans Steve Searle.... Huff puff point hands runs around does zilch creatively. Bover... Meh. Shaq imo is not a wing player he should be prowling around the box. He doesn't have the skill to beat players but is clever enough to win fouls....he should not play in that position.

With this group of players you can't fault them for effort or desire we simply don't have a midfield creating anything... We have no wingers so it becomes very pedestrian and predictable.

Sweeny is the find of the season, worth the admission fee to watch him dribble out of defence.

The substitution of Shaq was correct, play someone out of position you get that performance. We didn't play any worse with Clough on the pitch.

As for the numptys asking for Westley out its a bit cringey!

Westley needs to shape his team with his players.
DerekRocholl

john dockers shorts wrote:First half we matched Wycombe and having Baresi at the back we played some neat football through the team against a very tidy and well drilled Wycombe side.

Second half was the opposite and after a clumsy foul which until then thought it would be 0-0, we just lost the plot and hoofed.

Santos had a bad game, Watson your number is up sir... He is a poor mans Steve Searle.... Huff puff point hands runs around does zilch creatively. Bover... Meh. Shaq imo is not a wing player he should be prowling around the box. He doesn't have the skill to beat players but is clever enough to win fouls....he should not play in that position.

With this group of players you can't fault them for effort or desire we simply don't have a midfield creating anything... We have no wingers so it becomes very pedestrian and predictable.

Sweeny is the find of the season, worth the admission fee to watch him dribble out of defence.

The substitution of Shaq was correct, play someone out of position you get that performance. We didn't play any worse with Clough on the pitch.

Westley needs to be able to select the best team available to him, play them in the right positions and use his substitutions in a common sense way. Talking a good game, waving your hands a lot and consuming large cups of tea do not make you a good manager.

DerekRocholl

john dockers shorts wrote:First half we matched Wycombe and having Baresi at the back we played some neat football through the team against a very tidy and well drilled Wycombe side.

Westley needs to be able to select the best team available to him, play them in the right positions and use his substitutions in a common sense way. Talking a good game, waving your hands a lot and consuming large cups of tea do not make you a good manager.
LeftSideRun

#Beebot wrote: I think his assessment of the current squad is so poor that I'm worried about what he will do to us if given the time and resources.
That's my worry (along with our attacking play being so directionless).

This is a guy that used one transfer window to replace JCR, our most creative player regardless of how much he slowed down play, with Jordan Nicholson and, more worryingly, continues to pick Watson and Bover over Jack Taylor, regardless of how badly they play.

In the interest of balance, he did unearth a gem in Sweeney at centre back and managed to play to Nicholls strength as a striker (then stuck him back out on the wing again).

Was Shomotun injured yesterday or bombed out of the squad? Horrible man managing if the latter.
pokal02

I'm no fan of Watson, but it's harsh to blame him for the 1st goal. Why was he the last man - where had our defence gone (Brindley?) The guy was clean through and would probably have scored anyway. l
#Beebot

pokal02 wrote:I'm no fan of Watson, but it's harsh to blame him for the 1st goal. Why was he the last man - where had our defence gone (Brindley?) The guy was clean through and would probably have scored anyway. l
It was piss poor defending but you don't trip up a player from behind in the box. Their forward still had a fair bit to do if he was going to score regardless.
rudebwoyben

pokal02 wrote:I'm no fan of Watson, but it's harsh to blame him for the 1st goal. Why was he the last man - where had our defence gone (Brindley?) The guy was clean through and would probably have scored anyway. l
Someone on Twitter put up a photo which showed how our defence was lined up when the pass was played through to their player who Watson fouled. All I can say is, “What defensive line? Where was Brindley?” Additionally, it showed that Sweeney still has a lot to learn as a central defender as he was following the ball and not the man.
So, I agree that much as Watson really isn’t up to the standard required, it’s harsh to solely blame him for their first goal.
LeftSideRun

Sweeney charged out, then Brindley did the same, neither put a challenge in. Santos and Tutonda stayed deep and played the striker onside.

Watson tracked the man into the space vacated by Sweeney and Brindley and it looked to me like the outside of his foot made contact with the outside of the striker's foot. An extremely soft penalty. Horrible team defending.
amberforever

#Beebot wrote:
It was piss poor defending but you don't trip up a player from behind in the box. Their forward still had a fair bit to do if he was going to score regardless.
To be fair, after rewinding the highlights, there is definitely no foot/leg trip up, only body contact if anything.?
LoudmouthBFC

Barnet F.C. 0 v Wycombe Wanderers F.C. 2 | Agent Westley strikes again | Matchday Vlog (17/03/18)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZU94EJbUoI
dawat

Agree with this and I thought it was a soft penalty. The Wycombe player would have gone done if one of our fans shouted!
bee33

Shomotun didn't feature so not sure what happened to him. You'd think keeping the same squad as the Port Vale game would be logic.

The subs choice were dreadful.

Haven't got a clue why so many moaning about Watson ???? How about we moan about not scoring !!!
Akinde should of scored but didn't so have a good moan at him.
GW should of at least put on Akpa Akpro or Akinola for either Shaq/Akinde/Nicholls when we were down but instead put on Clough.

SHOCKING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!