Brentford (Away) The Tickety Boo Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
NoMagRyan

Re: Brentford (Away) The Tickety Boo Match Thread

Rupes wrote:Brentford are a decent side who had done their homework, wouldn't surprise me at all if they ended up in the play offs at the end of the season. They hammered us first half with their width and, in the number 2 (Odubajo), have a very high quality player who should be playing PL in my view, he's class. The full backs basically stood on the touchline, we got narrow, hence they had acres every time - both sides.
Yup. Thought they were a very, very good team to watch in the first half of both games.
Nudger70

MCB wrote:
NoMagRyan wrote:
BEEGONE wrote:Was to busy admiring Elitos tackle.
Well...
:laugh:

Is the 'headbutt' on any of the highlights footage? Moose on Talksport called it as a headbutt and a red at the time.

But well done for calling it out. No hypocrisy here Drink2:
The head butt was probably a red card because he did go head to head. But Elitos delayed collapse probably made it less lightly. It was reminiscent of aBob Mortimer oh Vic I’ve fallen for those of you with longer memories.
rudebwoyben

Rupes wrote:Brentford are a decent side who had done their homework, wouldn't surprise me at all if they ended up in the play offs at the end of the season. They hammered us first half with their width and, in the number 2 (Odubajo), have a very high quality player who should be playing PL in my view, he's class. The full backs basically stood on the touchline, we got narrow, hence they had acres every time - both sides.

The game plan was to sit in and try to use the pace of Shaq/EMC I guess, shame we lost shape a bit in the 1st half and made that difficult to execute. But the 2nd half was a bit wow; all ifs and buts but IF the header had gone in, IF the penalty had been given, who knows. It was hard to argue with the Brentford fans on the way back though who said that they could have been out of sight if they had taken all their chances.

But what a run. Obviously we only play clubs beginning with B or S in the FA Cup (Braintree, Bristol Rovers, Stockport County, Sheffield United and Brentford) but I've had 3 great away trips out of that lot, thanks to all at the club for the run and PLEASE make sure we push on in the National League now - the playoffs await!!!

Edit : sorry, meant to add a rarity - praise for the officials! Darren Cann has run the line in a World Cup Final and a Champions League Final, so he completes his Lifetime Objectives Treble of those two plus officiating at a Barnet match...but Roger East had a top game. Would have been very easy to get a red card or two out (especially for Sweeney's attempt at a tackle about 5 mins after the shoving match, if he'd have connected then Canos would still be in orbit somewhere) but he did well to keep it 11 vs 11. Well done Sir, can see why you do PL matches regularly.
A good summary. I noticed that our full-backs were very narrow in the first half and that gave their wing-backs so much space on the flanks. I think that our full-backs were positioned so as to bottle up Brentford's runners from midfield.
Odubajo would have played in the Premier League if he hadn't been injured for all of 16/17 when he was with Hull City. He was in the England U20 team that played against Mexico at the Hive a few years ago.
letchbee94

Glad we gave it a go especially in second half, we deserved our goal and on another day could have got a 2nd and even if it was with 5 minutes to go Brentford would have been nervous and then who knows, but it was not to be.

Enjoyable cup run to remember for years to come, can be very proud of the players.
Now for 3points on Saturday.
Beeznizz

rudebwoyben wrote:

The game plan was to sit in and try to use the pace of Shaq/EMC I guess, shame we lost shape a bit in the 1st half and made that difficult to execute. But the 2nd half was a bit wow; all ifs and buts but IF the header had gone in, IF the penalty had been given, who knows. It was hard to argue with the Brentford fans on the way back though who said that they could have been out of sight if they had taken all their chances.

But what a run. Obviously we only play clubs beginning with B or S in the FA Cup (Braintree, Bristol Rovers, Stockport County, Sheffield United and Brentford) but I've had 3 great away trips out of that lot, thanks to all at the club for the run and PLEASE make sure we push on in the National League now - the playoffs await!!!

Edit : sorry, meant to add a rarity - praise for the officials! Darren Cann has run the line in a World Cup Final and a Champions League Final, so he completes his Lifetime Objectives Treble of those two plus officiating at a Barnet match...but Roger East had a top game. Would have been very easy to get a red card or two out (especially for Sweeney's attempt at a tackle about 5 mins after the shoving match, if he'd have connected then Canos would still be in orbit somewhere) but he did well to keep it 11 vs 11. Well done Sir, can see why you do PL matches regularly.
A good summary. I noticed that our full-backs were very narrow in the first half and that gave their wing-backs so much space on the flanks. I think that our full-backs were positioned so as to bottle up Brentford's runners from midfield.
Odubajo would have played in the Premier League if he hadn't been injured for all of 16/17 when he was with Hull City. He was in the England U20 team that played against Mexico at the Hive a few years ago.
Totally agree re Odubajo & did wonder where he’d got to after Hull. A very good player.
Would say our Full backs were severely hampered by the lack of cover from our left & right sided midfielders in Elito & Fonguck.
I do think the plan was to sit in and look to counter with Shaq & EMC, but with our 2 midfielders totally out of position. Alexander & Tutonda were left 2v1 many times, especially in the 1st half! The 2 defenders didn’t know whether to press, but leave space in behind or sit and try to hold up an attack in the hope cover would appear!
Second half. You saw that Elito was disciplined & lot more effective. As I’ve said earlier, my MotM. Probably because of the introduction of Boucaud & word or two from management. Fonguck was hooked at halftime which to me shows DC saw our L&R midfielders were the problem!
Last edited by Beeznizz on 06 Feb 2019, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
Edd1

Fonguck was hooked at halftime which to me shows DC saw our L&R midfielders were the problem!
And that to me is what I really like about Currie. He's still learning so won't get everything right tactically but he can see when it's not working and when it doesn't work he changes it.

How often have we seen from various managers over the years a refusal to change systems that aren't working or only using subs too late when they have no time to make an impact? Currie though is ready to change and that can only be promising going forward.
LoudmouthBFC

Brentford F.C. 3 v Barnet F.C. 1 | I wanted to go Solihull anyway! | GAMEDAY! Vlog! (05/02/19)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg3KcQSmR6s
hatfieldbee

Brentford fan re-appearing here. Re comments about Moses Odubajo, we signed him from the Ooze originally (Leyton Orient). Sold him to Hull in their PL days,where he played a full season and a bit IIRC. Got seriously injured and was out of action for a couple of seasons. They did not renew his contact. He was therefore looking for a club. Brentford stepped in to offer for him to train with us to get to full fitness, he did well and was offered a contract until the end of the season, with a one year option for another season, if it worked out well. It did, he's back to full fitness, and just as tricky a player as he was when at his peak with us in his last spell at GP. As a Londoner, he felt he was coming back home, according to him.

Brentford have developed a reputation for looking after their players who are out injured long term. We have offered new contracts to a few players whilst they were in rehab, being out in some cases for 2 years. Scott Hogan, Lewis McLeod and Alan Judge have all benefitted from this approach. The thinking is that if we (Brentford) look after our players, they will not sod off at the first opportunity to make a packet at another club. We're very small fry compared with most clubs in the Championship - they don't even have to go to a PL club to make a comparative fortune, compared with what they earn with us!

Turning to Tuesday's match, you're right, it was the fracas that increased Barnet's desire to press better than in the 1st half. Also correct that Mr East did well not to show any red cards. As to Ollie Watkins, in the first match, what Brentford fans saw close up was that he tripped over his own feet and didn't appeal for a penalty. neither did his team mates. The ref was the sole arbiter to give that pen. To add further balance from our point of view, the tremendous free kick with which you scored your equaliser last Monday, from our view, which was obviously much further away, did not appear to be a foul. However, the ref's decision is final, in the circumstances, so, perhaps it would have been a 2-2, rather than a 3-3. Either way, all of us West London Bees thoroughly enjoyed the match, judging by our message boards (ref "Griffin Park Grapevine").

I really enjoyed the Monday game as well - you've great facitlities for away fans, and apart from Stevenage and Watford, it's my nearest ground of any stature - (don't count Borehamwood!).

Good luck for the rest of the season - you don't deserve relegation at all - here's hoping you can now concentrate on the league, and climb the table. You could even make the playoffs, as Mr Currie seems to be a very positive character. Watched his dad mesmerise defences in years gone by!
rudebwoyben

Yeah, definitely do not ever count Borehamwood for anything.
Anyway, we’ve all had our fun. Your lot could go pretty far in the Cup and seeing that the play-offs are a big ask for you to reach, why not prioritise the FA Cup?
I’m hoping that you make good use of our games in hand, win on Tuesday and make this a really interesting season for us.
becbee

Thank you Hatfieldbee.
Only point - Tony Currie is Darren's uncle, not his dad.
ETBee

" To add further balance from our point of view, the tremendous free kick with which you scored your equaliser last Monday, from our view, which was obviously much further away, did not appear to be a foul."

To clarify for Hatfieldbee: I was on the south stand and the incident which lead to Sparkes' kick was right in front of me. Coulthirst had the ball and was making his way along the edge of the penalty box, presumably to take a shot or find space to pass. Defenders made 3 attempts to tackle him but just "hacked" his legs but not enough for him to fall. It was after the 3rd hack when Coulhirst stumbled but didn't fall that the ref blew his whistle. I was a bit surprised myself, but grateful. I've noticed this more in games at all levels when refs penalise repeated attempted tackles which impede the ball carriers progress but they do not fall over.

Good luck against Swansea.
DerekRocholl

becbee wrote:Thank you Hatfieldbee.
Only point - Tony Currie is Darren's uncle, not his dad.
How do you know he was talking about Tony ? :whistle: